PDA

View Full Version : Weak-tight with these 10s?

afreeman
10-08-2005, 04:13 AM
Villain is a rock, with stats 22% VP$IP and PFR of about 2 over about 60 hands. Table overall is fairly loose and passive, with stats of around 27% VP$IP and PFR of around 3. If it matters, my stats are about 21% and 9.5%, but thats only over about 1500 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $.25BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($36.50)
SB ($17.05)
BB ($29.45)
Hero ($37.55)
UTG+1 ($18.30)
MP1 ($23.25)
MP2 ($26.15)
MP3 ($7.94)
CO ($30.95)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.75.

--&gt; A fairly sketchy PF raise, but this was a weak table where I figured that I would be called by probably 2-3 other players (as it turned out, I got four). Also, I had been playing fairly tight (17% VP$IP), so my raises had been getting some respect.

Flop: ($5.10) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2, Button folds, BB folds.

--&gt; I'm thinking now that I should have bet at least $3 and probably $5, and saved the $2 bet for pocket aces or kings.

Turn: ($9.10) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

--&gt; Not the card that I wanted to see, because villain's holdings could easily include AQ, KQ, QJ, QT, or even a larger pocket pair, so I check. Should I have just kept pushing it?

River: ($9.10) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

--&gt; Again, a weak play in retrospect; I have no idea where I'm at with this hand, so I check/call it down.

Final Pot: $13.10

My main question: assuming you're in this pot at all, how hard do you push each street?

orange
10-08-2005, 04:26 AM
I usually pot flop
2/3 pot the turn
check/call the river.

10-08-2005, 05:29 AM
UTG here I just call the BB, and play Tens mostly for set value, I don't like playing a hand like TT OOP, as you're more often than not facing an overcard on the flop and playing out of position is tricky, especially against 4 villians as here. Combined with the chance of getting a draw AND an overcard on board, when villian calls a continuation bet you don't know if they have you beat or are drawing, making fourth street potentially expensive.

As it goes, on the flop I bet $4. Really see where I am. For $2 an A9 will be calling you, but so will 99, 55 etc.. and perhaps somebody with AK. You have no idea where you are in the hand now.

If my flop bet gets called, I slow down especially if it's called by a rock. He should interpret your UTG raise as a strong hand, so you must assume he has you beat more often than not here to be calling. (you see by raising higher, you now have a better idea if you're ahead or behind if called, especially with a board that's fairly draw free.) I still lead the turn for about 2/3 the pot here, folding to a raise. On the river I check and call a reasonable bet or put out a half pot blocking bet if villian isn't very aggressive and I'm not likely to get raised.

trumpman84
10-08-2005, 06:25 AM
I think pre-flop is fine...I even raise 99 UTG, and occasionally 88, but I think I'm on the LAG side of things.

Anyway, I come out and bet $4-$5 on the flop, then bet about half the pot on the turn...if I haven't won the pot by then, I check or block the river.