PDA

View Full Version : Top two on an 8 high flop

CardSharpCook
10-08-2005, 01:01 AM
This is from an MTT, but ammusingly, I happen to be the Omaha guru in the MTT forum. Amusing, because I play very little Omaha - we in MTT are lacking non-NLHE analysis. So I'm coming to you guys.

Hero is in the highjack with A /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I open raise. Button calls, BB calls.

(6.5SB)Flop: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB bets, I raise, button calls, BB calls.

My thinking here is that button might have a decent low draw and a raise here can keep him from hitting a high hand. I think it likely that the BB hit the low hard.

(6.25BB)Turn Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
BB bets, I raise, button calls.

My thinking here is that BB has the nut low and is afraid that I will check behind. As for the button, I'm thinking he is most likely also holding 23, but possibly the flush/str8 draw, so I want to charge both these players because I think I have the high hand, and button might be on a draw.

(12.25BBs) River: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB checks, I check, Button bets, BB calls, I call.

My thinking here is that the diamond flush just hit, AND the 6 on the borad could easily give someone trips. Obviously I think I am in trouble when button bets, but the 14BB pot of which 7BBs might come to me is big enough to justify a call.

How is my thinking on each street? Did I play this too aggressively? Thanks.

Buzz
10-08-2005, 01:45 AM
What is "MTT"?

What is "highjack"?

Are you playing four handed?

You don't have top two on an eight high flop. You have top two on an ace high flop.

The turn is not a good card for you.

The river can't be the six of diamonds, since that card appeared on the flop.

CardSharpCook
10-08-2005, 01:52 AM
hijack is also known as MP3 or right of the CO. The CO, or cut-off, is right of the button. So I am 2 off the button.

MTT is Multi-table Tourney.

It was 9-handed, but I omitted the PF folds. Calling it an 8high flop is so that it is clear that I am talking about a hand in which someone could have flopped a low.

The turn really isn't that bad as it completes no draws, but yes, it opens up another flush draw and offers a different "top two"

My pardons on the typo, the point is, the flush draw from the flop has completed on the river with a 6 that pairs the board.

Buzz
10-08-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hijack is also known as MP3 or right of the CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Card Sharp - Thanks for the clarifications. This is the first time I have encountered the term "hijack" being used for MP3.

[ QUOTE ]
It was 9-handed, but I omitted the PF folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many players were originally dealt cards is important.

[ QUOTE ]
Calling it an 8high flop is so that it is clear that I am talking about a hand in which someone could have flopped a low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. (Except that it's an ace high flop).

[ QUOTE ]
The turn really isn't that bad as it completes no draws, but yes, it opens up another flush draw and offers a different "top two"

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition, it opens up some straight draws and offers the possibility of a set of queens.

[ QUOTE ]
the point is, the flush draw from the flop has completed on the river with a 6 that pairs the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it isn't. You have to make the river the eight of diamonds to have a card that completes the flush draw from the flop and pairs the board. And in that case you have made your full house.

Or you could make the river the six of clubs, in which case is would complete the back-door flush draw and pair the board.

[ QUOTE ]
How is my thinking on each street?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how to respond. I think your pre-flop raise was all right. And I think your raise on the flop was all right. But your raise on the turn was bizarre! Then on the river, you're forced to call because you made the pot too big to fold by raising like a maniac at every opportunity.

You wrote, <font color="blue">"My thinking here is that button might have a decent low draw and a raise here can keep him from hitting a high hand. I think it likely that the BB hit the low hard."</font>

I don't see how a raise can keep Button from hitting a high hand. Do you mean you were thinking Buttom might fold to a double bet? In that case, what happened after your raise speaks for itself. (Button called the doubler bet).

I wonder why you thought "BB hit the low hard." (It's a possibility - but there are various other possibilities).

Then after the queen of clubs on the turn, you wrote, <font color="blue">"My thinking here is that BB has the nut low and is afraid that I will check behind. As for the button, I'm thinking he is most likely also holding 23, but possibly the flush/str8 draw, so I want to charge both these players because I think I have the high hand, and button might be on a draw."</font>

BB might have the nut low. BB might be betting because he's afraid you won't bet. The Button might have the nut low and/or a flush and/or straight draw. You might have the best high hand at this point.

But there are also various other possibilities.

[ QUOTE ]
Did I play this too aggressively?

[/ QUOTE ]

You were very aggressive pre-flop and on the flop. Too aggressive? I don't know. Depends, I guess.

However, in my humble opinion, you were way too aggressive on the turn.

Buzz

benwood
10-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Pre-flop: the raise is marginal with the crappy 10,8 in your hand. Flop: I don't like the raise here with the 2 diamonds on board. You're just trying for 1/2 the pot. Lay your hand down. Turn: Deeper &amp; deeper. River: You dug such a deep hole that it's too late to climb out. If you came out OK on this hand I'm happy for you.

DyessMan89
10-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Preflop- Dont raise, flat call this. You dont have very much scoop potential. This is a one-way hand for most purposes.
Flop- Ah, sticky situation. I certainly dont like the raise, though. First of all, I honestly doubt your high hand is good here. It could be, but I doubt it. Even if it is good, you are forced to dodge so many cards when you are at best going to split this. BTW, your only 11-1 about to fill up. Im folding this hand, albeit its close between folding and calling.
Turn- Im definitley folding this now.

CardSharpCook
10-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Why so quick to fold? There are few hands that beat mine. Pocket aces (1 combo) pocket 8s (1 combo) pocket 6s (3 combos). Not that much to fear.

The PF raise may be a tourney thing, I'll never open-limp in a tourney (past a certain point). I really can't see folding this in LP either. Are you being results-oriented, assuming that I lost this hand? Or is it legitimate to fear monsters (ie 2357 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) I don't know, I really don't understand why you would advise folding the turn, anyone help here?

benwood
10-08-2005, 09:23 PM
It's not really that the turn card was particularly bad. The fact is that all turn cards are bad except an A or a 10.You are right that there's a good chance that your hand is the best on the flop, but Omaha is not like hold'em where 2 pr hands hold up a lot. Remember, you are putting up 1/3 of the money to get back 1/2 of the money. If your 2 pr would hold up all the time, you wouldn,t make much. But the fact is--Your high will seldom hold up. A large percentage of the time you will lose all of the money you have "invested",&amp; the rest of the time you will win peanuts. Think about it.

Ribbo
10-09-2005, 06:47 PM
On the flop you have a draw to half a pot, the guy with the low has it locked up. There is no legitimate reason for ever raising this draw to half a pot so much.