PDA

View Full Version : Dr Steamboatin or How I learned to stop worrying and love the fish

steamboatin
10-08-2005, 12:32 AM
I am working on a theory that some of my opponents really get a huge kick out of sucking out. I am noticably tighter than most players playing live 6-12 at Caesar's IN and it dawned on me today, that a few of the guys at the table were getting a huge kick out of calling my raises with crap and catching the card they need on the river.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It started to make me angry but then I realized that getting angry over this was even dumber than trying to crack a big pair with crap.

4_2_it
10-08-2005, 10:53 AM
I just nominated your post subject for a best on the web award /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just have someone suck out $300 from me on-line by hitting a one-out straight flush to crush my boat. I literally just laughed.

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif the fish!!!!

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-08-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am working on a theory that some of my opponents really get a huge kick out of sucking out. I am noticably tighter than most players playing live 6-12 at Caesar's IN and it dawned on me today, that a few of the guys at the table were getting a huge kick out of calling my raises with crap and catching the card they need on the river.

It started to make me angry but then I realized that getting angry over this was even dumber than trying to crack a big pair with crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love playing against these guys. Last night, I had a guy snap off my KK UTG raise with his J6o in the SB. He totally missed the flop, and went runner-runner to win. I smiled and shrugged. A few people at the table pissed and moaned about the guy, but I was on his left and he dumped 50BB into the game over the next 2 hours.

I finished up precisely $1 on the night, but should have been down a rack ($200) with the cards I was getting. This guy paid off every hand (and loosened up the rest of the table nicely), This allowed me to break even, despite getting dealt crap.

10-09-2005, 05:57 AM
sometimes you can see people playing online insulting the fish for their bad play making luckily the gutshot straight or winning otherwise.

hey! love & peace!

love the fish!!!

tek
10-10-2005, 05:48 PM
When I get ahead, I start playing more marginal hands. The other day someone said sarcastically "Maybe I should play those hands". I said "You should-they're fun..."

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kyriefurro
10-11-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, noticed that a while ago. Just like the Super-LAGs love watching everyone fold to their bluffs and excessive aggression. They aren't just pleased that their play worked, they actually get a rush out of psychologically dominating their opponents.

I also think it's important to realize that there are two types of rushes the fish get when they hit their long-shot draws. Some, are just getting the rush out of making a Big Hand, and don't really realize that they played a long-shot. The others are just like you said, they enjoy watching their more-skilled opponents turn various shades of red when the suck-out hits.

All in all, it's just a sick sort of positive reinforcement that encourages them to continue playing that way...which is great for the game /images/graemlins/grin.gif

intheflatfield
10-11-2005, 05:03 PM
It used to really irk me when I would get sucked out on. Now, that I've learned perspective via TOP and this site in particular that poker is not one session.

I read it and thought I understood it, but was still finding myself going on tilt. Now I actually find a little enjoyment in knowing I had gotten my money in with a better hand, and if I was actually making money off the hand even though I lost the pot.
Great Post.