PDA

View Full Version : My uncle bags a 1500 pound moose (pic) with a bow

ClaytonN
10-07-2005, 09:13 PM
So apparantly while I'm in the bubble known as college, my uncle went to Alaska to hunt moose and bear. His line of work is hosting huntings trips and bowfishing trips along east GA, and he knows way too much about hunting. Great guy.

Anyways, apparantly he's killed the biggest moose in Alaska in a long time. My parents told me he was going to set some kind of hunting record.

Picture here (http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4108/moose16ds.jpg)

CN

tonypaladino
10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
awesome. you should get the head mounted in your dorm room

imported_CaseClosed326
10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
jesus...that's insane.

fnord_too
10-07-2005, 09:16 PM
You should have made it clearer in your OP that (apparently) he did this with a bow. Wow.

ClaytonN
10-07-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have made it clearer in your OP that (apparently) he brough did this with a bow. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done.

rodney
10-07-2005, 09:20 PM
that's great /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Yeti
10-07-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my uncle went to Alaska to hunt moose and bear.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Great guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, ok.

Paluka
10-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I think the 1500 pound moose is more impressive alive.

Phoenix1010
10-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Disgusting hobby and all... Man that thing is enormous. The fact that he killed it with a bow makes it that much more amazing.

SCfuji
10-07-2005, 09:25 PM
talk about food for a lifetime... can your aunt make some jerky and send it to me.

ClaytonN
10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Uh, ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is not about you professing your hatred towards hunting. It is about my uncle bagging a sweet-ass moose. Begone.

[censored]
10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that's pretty sad I think. Here was this awesome animal roaming around and now it's dead. I'm not a big hunting guy and more so when it goes beyond dear/ducks etc. My brother however it the opposite and I don't think it should be illegal, I just wish people didn't do it.

All that being said I can see from a hunter's perspective how that would awesome.

bdk3clash
10-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Banging a 1500 pound moose would have been funnier than bagging one.

sexdrugsmoney
10-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Real hunters make their own bows - old school.

KDawgCometh
10-07-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have made it clearer in your OP that (apparently) he did this with a bow. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the bow makes it much more impressive. I'm not the biggest fan of hunting, but I do respect the skill in it, and especially in bow hunting

Los Feliz Slim
10-07-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Banging a 1500 pound moose would have been funnier than bagging one.

[/ QUOTE ]

And significantly more impressive! vnh

ghostface
10-07-2005, 09:54 PM
I thought only the Punisher could kill [censored] with a bow. NH, uncle!

Cumulonimbus
10-07-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic
10-07-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the moose is eaten, I have no problem with hunting.

But I saw a moose a couple of months ago when I was in Canada...pretty cool....it was on the side of the road, so I pulled over, rolled down my window and made what I figured to be appropriate moose noises at it.

He just looked at me like I was an idiot and shambled off.

Apparently, I am not up on my moose talk.

istewart
10-07-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Real hunters realize that they can go to the supermarket and do not need to store venison in their log cabins.

[/ QUOTE ]

sexdrugsmoney
10-07-2005, 10:22 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Real hunters realize that they can go to the supermarket and do not need to store venison in their log cabins.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get schooled noob. (http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-composite_bow.html) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Diplomat
10-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Dude that's not a bow, it's a canon with strings.

-Diplomat

RunDownHouse
10-07-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What, waste-not-want-not, Tonto? How many times have you scraped half of your dinner into the trash can?

[ QUOTE ]
But I saw a moose a couple of months ago when I was in Canada...pretty cool....it was on the side of the road, so I pulled over, rolled down my window and made what I figured to be appropriate moose noises at it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're an idiot, and lucky to boot.

Sightless
10-07-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree

ClaytonN
10-07-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was. They ate moose steaks for a week after and still had a crapload left over.

They were originally going to hunt on a different site but it was occupied by a family of hunters that flew in and landed on a flat. Since my uncle had enough moose to last him until next year, he gave his and his friend's remaining preserves for the week (sandwhiches, spaghetti) to the family on the plane, because they were probably lacking in food due to weights needed to fly small planes into Alaska.

The picture obviously does justice, but he says in his journal that if you put your left hand on the middle of the moose's spine, you could not reach its belly with your right hand. Not even close, actually.

mmbt0ne
10-07-2005, 11:30 PM
I've heard from plenty of PETA people that they respect hunters more than the people who go to the store and buy food because they actually understand what goes on in the killing and preperation of their meat. If you're going to eat meat, at least take the responsibility for killing it I guess.

Since this hijack is really really lame though, good job to Clayton's uncle. One of my friends is from Alaska and had to kill a bear that was charging at him this summer. Crazy wildlife!

Dominic
10-08-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What, waste-not-want-not, Tonto? How many times have you scraped half of your dinner into the trash can?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was something like, "HUUUUNNNNNGGGGGGGIIWAAAAEEO" (From way down deep)

That's a moose, right?

Matt Flynn
10-08-2005, 12:20 AM
That is one big moose.

To the haters: Anything dropped with a bow and eaten is a good kill. If it's a turkey it's a great kill.

partygirluk
10-08-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My uncle bags a 1500 pound moose

[/ QUOTE ]

No one has made a "You shouldn't talk about your aunt like that" gag yet?

vulturesrow
10-08-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That is one big moose.

To the haters: Anything dropped with a bow and eaten is a good kill. If it's a turkey it's a great kill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turkey, quite possibly the most frustrating animal to hunt..

peachy
10-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Avids gonna love this post

im in GA and there is amazing hunting and fishing here in some areas

youtalkfunny
10-08-2005, 02:47 AM
That's not a moose...

http://web.b2bsitesnow.com/westernauto/images/bullwinkle.jpg

...THAT'S a moose!

(I was gonna post a Bullwinkle pic, but found this one instead. I didn't get the significance of "bowhunting is more impressive", until I saw the howitzer this guy was carrying.)

phil_ivey_fan
10-08-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uh, ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is not about you professing your hatred towards hunting. It is about my uncle bagging a sweet-ass moose. Begone.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah ignore all the PETA gays in here. They're just upset cause while the US gov had to go down to bail out all the poor blacks after katrina, they decided to leave the animals behind.

I don't mind them for being upset...neither a dog nor the rescued victims pay taxes. But dogs don't cause crimes now do they....huh.

the moose looks gianourmous...post more pics.

Yeti
10-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Heh. If I shot a loveable little pooch and stood grinning over it holding a gun, would that be cool? Serious question.

FWIW, yes, when I saw the pic, the first thing I thought 'yeah, that is a big ass moose.' The second thing I thought was 'wow, that guy's uncle is a tit.'

spamuell
10-08-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty pissed off that your uncle killed something so beautiful.

BeerMoney
10-08-2005, 09:15 AM
3 things..

1.) How do you transport a 1500 pound moose?

2.) I'm ok with hunting these things as long as they aren't endangered. (I imagine they're not since its legal to hunt them.)

3.) Nice job to your uncle. I'm sure that takes a ton of patience.

KaneKungFu123
10-08-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty pissed off that your uncle killed something so beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM
10-08-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard from plenty of PETA people that they respect hunters more than the people who go to the store and buy food because they actually understand what goes on in the killing and preperation of their meat. If you're going to eat meat, at least take the responsibility for killing it I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think PETA is off the deep end a lot of times, I actually more or less agree with some of this.

People who buy prepared meat are contributing to its slaughter anyway, and I think growing animals for food especially in confined and/or dirty quarters is less humane than just shooting down a wild animal at one point in its life.

If I had to choose to be an animal, I'd rather be wild and free for some years, and then die quickly, than be raised in a claustrophobic smelly overcrowded pen and be over-fed until the day they line everyone up to get knocked in the head. Seems pretty clear to me which animal has it better overall. And truthfully, the latter seems somehow a bit perverse and repulsive. And yes I sometimes feel hypocritical for buying and eating farm-raised meat.

By the way, PETA really goes overboard a lot too, and sometimes issues very silly and unintelligent statements.

mmcd
10-08-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the 1500 pound moose is more impressive alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but it would be kind of hard to display it in your house that way.

diebitter
10-08-2005, 09:44 AM
I dunno - some people like the mix of domestic and wildlife.

There's even a song about it...

'Give me a home, where the buffalo roam...'

Pinga
10-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Congratulations to your uncle. Did they spot it and stalk? If so, most impressive.

I hunted moose once with a shotgun and slugs (regulations).

In a suburban area, finding them was the hardest part. They have no natural predators here so they act kind of dumb.

We got a small bull. It took 6 guys and a four-wheeler to get it out of the woods. We had to cut it in half and take two trips.

I should take bets on how large a stick we had to poke up his butt so we could get a good cut around the anus.

joecash
10-08-2005, 11:34 AM
yeah, I bet your uncle really needed to kill that mooose for food.

dibbs
10-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Thing is absolutely massive.

I really don't understand the concept of hunting though, I could only kill an incredible animal like that if my life was in danger from it.

Duke
10-08-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't understand the concept of hunting though,

[/ QUOTE ]

You sneak around. The animals go about their daily routine. You keep sneaking. Eventually the animal is within 50-100 feet of you standing there minding it's own business.

BAM!

~D

DasLeben
10-08-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least spell "moose" correctly, tool.

nuSFwck
10-08-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

great post. this is obviously the purpose of his hunting trip.

dibbs
10-08-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sneak around. The animals go about their daily routine. You keep sneaking. Eventually the animal is within 50-100 feet of you standing there minding it's own business.

BAM!

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN DO0D.

I catch and release fresh water but bag em salt water though so its the same thing I guess. I just have a lot of respect for mooses. Meese. Moosen. Whatver. I think it's a NH thing.

10-08-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BAM!

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha

dibbs
10-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Has anyone ever had moose?

I can't imagine it tastes like venison?

tonypaladino
10-08-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever had moose?

I can't imagine it tastes like venison?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first recipe says it tastes like candy. Moose Recipes (http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/moose.html)

Evan
10-08-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I pulled over, rolled down my window and made what I figured to be appropriate moose noises at it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome.

mmbt0ne
10-08-2005, 03:02 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what, he's less of a good person for killing it himself, rather than going to the store and buying the meat of some animal that was born/raised on a farm?

STLantny
10-08-2005, 03:04 PM
This thread smells like petruli oil, shave your armpits you dirty hippies.

IndieMatty
10-08-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was something like, "HUUUUNNNNNGGGGGGGIIWAAAAEEO" (From way down deep)

That's a moose, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaahah

TheCroShow
10-08-2005, 03:26 PM
nice one, i respect the hunting profession.

to second the poster that said this, that's not a bow, it's more like one of these:

http://www.kelsall.school.cheshire.org.uk/Romans/Graphics/Army/Ballista.jpg

tpir90036
10-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I never understood the bigger = better sentiment in hunting. I imagine that huge animals are more rare... but isn't an old, slow, huge animal much easier to kill than it's younger more nimble cousins?

irishpint
10-08-2005, 03:53 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Duke
10-08-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if he killed it with his bare hands it'd be damn impressive.

~D

BusterStacks
10-08-2005, 04:07 PM
hehe, who would have pegged THAT guy as a hunter? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw Duke is hillarious.

10-08-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses
10-08-2005, 04:36 PM
This is a good thread. An interesting/unusual anecdote, a picture of said event, and a topic (hunting) that can generate some interesting discussion.

Paluka
10-08-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but it would be kind of hard to display it in your house that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it would really suck to have to pick up its crap in a huge plastic bag after it crapped on the sidewalk.

PocketJokers72
10-08-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's not a moose...

http://web.b2bsitesnow.com/westernauto/images/bullwinkle.jpg

...THAT'S a moose!

(I was gonna post a Bullwinkle pic, but found this one instead. I didn't get the significance of "bowhunting is more impressive", until I saw the howitzer this guy was carrying.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THIS guy was banging the moose...much more impressive.

Voltron87
10-08-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good thread. An interesting/unusual anecdote, a picture of said event, and a topic (hunting) that can generate some interesting discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

a very complete thread indeed.

joecash
10-08-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what, he's less of a good person for killing it himself, rather than going to the store and buying the meat of some animal that was born/raised on a farm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, becasue he's posing here like he's a badass or something - and cows and chickens are raised for their meat.

John Ho
10-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Well it sounds like your uncle enjoyed himself which is always good.

But unless you kill the moose with your bare hands or a hunting knife it's really not too tough to kill any animal.

mmbt0ne
10-09-2005, 03:43 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, becasue he's posing here like he's a badass or something - and cows and chickens are raised for their meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, black people were once raised for manual labor. Think about it.

w_alloy
10-09-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand the relevance of this, nor the 3 or 4 times it was quoted.

Are you saying the moose had more utility living then dead? I have lived in Alaska a very large percentage of my life, and I guarentee that this thing walking around wouldn't have made any difference in anybody's lives. Killing it provided this guy and some others are good amount of happiness.

Was this a veiled way to say that hunting is bad? If so this is a confusing and ambiguous was to state this, and does more to show that you dont understand hunting in its entierty, only on a subjective and naive "how does it make me feel" level.

Were you just stating the first thing that popped into your head, and didnt mean to mean anything by it? If so, you should take some time to understand this issue. If you meant something else, please elaborate.

ethan
10-09-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand the relevance of this, nor the 3 or 4 times it was quoted.

Are you saying the moose had more utility living then dead? I have lived in Alaska a very large percentage of my life, and I guarentee that this thing walking around wouldn't have made any difference in anybody's lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, for one, would have derived happiness from seeing it alive. And while I likely wouldn't have seen this particular moose, I do enough hiking in areas where people hunt that I think the argument's still justified.

Also, although you clearly think this is irrelevant, some would argue there were some other moose who wanted this one alive. (I'm not sure where I stand on this part of the issue. I'm definitely pro-hunting-for-food, and definitely anti-hunting-rare-animals-because-they're-rare. Some of what falls in the middle is ok by me, some less so. Hunting for sport makes me uneasy.)

Martin
10-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Nice trophy. Really awesome that it was done with a bow as well. I assume he has a huge freezer for the meat. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

youtalkfunny
10-10-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume he has a huge freezer for the meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

He sure does.

It's called "Alaska". /images/graemlins/smile.gif