PDA

View Full Version : Grilling Salmon

johnnybeef
10-07-2005, 07:33 PM
I used to get these fillets of salmon from my mom that were vacuum sealed and marinated (they were from market day if anyone knows what that is.) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my hands on any of these fillets lately. I'm really in the mood for some good grilled salmon, and I'm curious what OOT recommends I do to them before throwing them on the grill.

Los Feliz Slim
10-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I like a teriyaki marinade.

10-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Rub brown sugar on it. Makes for great salmon.

10-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Salt and pepper on the flesh side, oil (I prefer olive oil) the skin. Grill 4-6 minutes skin side down pending on thickness. While on the skin side put a BBQ sauce on the flesh side. Flip, grill 3-4 more minutes, flip for another minute or two down add more sauce if necessary.

Can be done w/o BBQ sauce. This is the easiest way to grill salmon.

johnnybeef
10-07-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Salt and pepper on the flesh side, oil (I prefer olive oil) the skin. Grill 4-6 minutes skin side down pending on thickness. While on the skin side put a BBQ sauce on the flesh side. Flip, grill 3-4 more minutes, flip for another minute or two down add more sauce if necessary.

Can be done w/o BBQ sauce. This is the easiest way to grill salmon.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're fillets, no skin.

johnnybeef
10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i may just do this, anything else (salt? pepper? olive oil?)

MrWookie47
10-07-2005, 07:54 PM
My family recipe for barbequing salmon (yes, barbequing - indirect heat) is simple and good. We just put the fillet on a cookie sheet meat side up. Fill up the cookie sheet with white wine, and top the salmon with olive oil and green onions. Smoke it with indirect heat using a good smoking wood: alder, cherry, apple, maybe hickory. This really lets the flavor of good fish and the smoke through without anything dominating. If you're limited in your setup to only do grilling, then this approach won't work so well.

johnnybeef
10-07-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My family recipe for barbequing salmon (yes, barbequing - indirect heat) is simple and good. We just put the fillet on a cookie sheet meat side up. Fill up the cookie sheet with white wine, and top the salmon with olive oil and green onions. Smoke it with indirect heat using a good smoking wood: alder, cherry, apple, maybe hickory. This really lets the flavor of good fish and the smoke through without anything dominating. If you're limited in your setup to only do grilling, then this approach won't work so well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds great, but all i have is a grill for right now. I will definately try this one in the future though.

MrWookie47
10-07-2005, 08:05 PM
You need one of those cylindrical smoker things, but a lot of gas grills can't do it. Actually, on some of the better gas grills, you can pull it off. On some of them you can lite the side burners but not the middle one, and they have a little box where you can put wood chips. Mostly, though, we always used a Weber sphere thing with the charcoal pushed off to the side. Puth the fish in the middle, and toss some wood on the coals as you put it on. This is also a spectacular way to cook a chicken (no wine, etc., just the awesome smokey flavor).

Ulysses
10-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I like it a few ways....

Some lemon juice, seasonings (salt/pepper/garlic/etc).

Above, with a little butter brushed on as well.

BBQ sauce.

Toss it in the George Foreman and you're good to go.

10-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Skin the oiling, salt pepper both sides. When one side is cooking BBQ the other, flip 3-4 mintues repeat. Easy and delish.

johnnybeef
10-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Ok so I had two pieces of salmon. One skinless, one with the skin. I prepared the Skinless piece like so:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and the skin plus piece like so:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All in all, the w/skin piece was decent, I never would have thought of putting BBQ sauce on fish. The skinless piece was absolute dynamite. That said, I thought of a way to improve upon it. So here is the ultimate grilled salmon prep.

Combine 3 parts brown sugar, 1 part salt, and 1 part cracked black pepper. Rub all 4 sides of a boneless skinless salmon fillet with mixture. Dip both sides lightly in olive oil. Grill to taste. Diesel!

Cancer Merchant
10-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Most BBQ sauces are too overpowering for fish.

Soy, green onion, ginger, very little garlic. Marinade for a few minutes and grill.

Ulysses
10-07-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, salmon is different.

Cancer Merchant
10-07-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd do well with a steak-like fish, like tuna or swordfish.

Ulysses
10-07-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd do well with a steak-like fish, like tuna or swordfish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Swordfish - I agree. Tuna - I don't like the combo. If you haven't tried it, give it a try w/ salmon.

KaneKungFu123
10-07-2005, 09:04 PM
the skin is the best part!

just grill it with lime and salt.

tmoore44
10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Something that you may give a shot next time:

Mix about a half cup of soy sauce and brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Then stir in another half cup of olive oil. Reserve a little of the marinade for basting then marinate the fish for a couple of hours. mmmm, mmmm good.

HtotheNootch
10-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Personally, I think you stay basic with salmon. If you've ever been to a high-end steakhouse (The Palm, Smith & Wollensky etc.) there's usually one fish item on the menu - Salmon. Salmon's a solid fish. If you oil it prior to cooking, you can grill it easily. After that, it's a matter of taste.

If you're looking to get fancy, you can always use a plank, or citrus fruits (although I usually reserve the citrus for a less solid fish).

STLantny
10-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Something Ive come up with, tin foil packet, leave the top open, salt, sugar, slice of orange with a little of the leftover orange juice, and honey drizzled over everything. Awesome.

theRealMacoy
10-08-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Something Ive come up with, tin foil packet, leave the top open, salt, sugar, slice of orange with a little of the leftover orange juice, and honey drizzled over everything. Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you have just about got it.

we use tinfoil, lemon juice, salt (dash of brown sugar) and....

in my teens i was a fishing guide up on the norther coast of BC and spent most of my youth salmon and trout fishing the northern coast.

however you missed the key ingredient, which is real maple syrup (not aunt jamina but the actual stuff) instead of honey....you don't need a whole lot if the salmon is fresh.

actually, i just smoked up approximately 30 pounds of salmon caught on my dad's boat. we covered in in a salt brine mixture for 48 hours before-hand to draw out the water. then smoked it for approx an hour with some special wood mixtures. wow is this [censored] tender.

cheers,
the Real Macoy

ps. also, i would definately recommend keeping the skin on whenever possible when cooking salmon. it keeps it moist and improves the flavour. whereas, white meat fish, such as cod fare quit well as true filets.

MrMon
10-08-2005, 11:53 AM
If you want to go simple but fancy, this has been a family favorite since it appeared in Food & Wine 5 years ago. My kids love it and everyone has always been impressed. I get more requests for this recipe than any other thing I make.

Hint: The quality of this dish is very dependent on the mustard you use. I use Maille Dijon. Never, ever, use yellow mustard. And use real mayo, not salad dressing. There is a world of difference.

Grilled Salmon with Dilled Mustard Glaze
SERVES: 4

The sugar and dill in the glaze are used by Scandinavian-Americans in Minnesota to cure gravlax, but the combination works just as well on the grill.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill (or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed)
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (but feel free to use RealLime)
1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar (light brown sugar works too)
Freshly ground pepper (or whatever is in the pepper shaker)
Vegetable oil, for the grill
One 2-pound salmon fillet, skin on (you can vary the size, just don't use all the glaze if you go smaller)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt

Directions

Light a grill. Lightly brush the grate with oil. Run your fingers over the salmon fillet, feeling for bones; use sturdy tweezers to remove any you find.

In a dry skillet, toast the mustard seeds over moderate heat until they darken and begin to pop, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, dill, lime juice and brown sugar. Season with pepper.

Brush the skin side of the salmon with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Set the fillet on the grill, skin side down, and spread the mustard glaze over the fish. Sprinkle with the toasted mustard seeds. Close the grill and cook over moderate heat until the glaze is golden and the fish is nearly opaque, about 25 minutes. If the skin begins to char, reduce the heat to low and move the fish to a cooler part of the grill. (Note: I generally close the grill and don't peak for 25 minutes. A little charing is not bad, but until you understand your grill, mine's a Weber Kettle, you might check once or twice.)

Transfer the salmon to a platter and serve hot or at room temperature.

The lightly caramelized sweet mustard glaze and rich, smoky flavors here will find echoes in an oak-aged Chardonnay.

Al_Capone_Junior
10-08-2005, 12:29 PM
pour a nice layer of sesame oil on the bottom of a glass baking dish, put your fish on it skin side down (if it has skin).

On top of the fish, put some dragon sauce and some light mixed spices (easy on the spices, the dragon sauce is mostly enough)

Cover with slivered almonds.

Put about six to ten pads of butter on top of that.

Bake at moderate temperature until done.

fantabulous.

al

Oops, I didn't say anything inflammatory, nor did I need any [censored] in my post. I hope I don't get banned! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Microwave it.

Spread butter on it. Then put some salt and garlic powder and a little black pepper. Then microwave it on high for 4 to 7 minutes. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MrMon
10-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Anyone who cooks in a microwave should be shot.

10-09-2005, 09:07 AM
This is such a good recipe, I just grilled salmon Friday night.

1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp sugar

mix all together in a small bowl ( you may double recipe if you are cooking a lot, but this will cover up to 4 pieces )

lay salmon on baking sheet or other flat platter. spread ingdients on salmon covering the whole top ( pink ) side. then drizzle olive oil over the top. probably 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp per slice.

make sure you spray the gril with non stick cooking spray,
start with skin side down for about, well however long you usually grill it, everyone is differnt.

for best results, i would recommed leaving the skin on while grilling.

it is very good. if you like spinach, you can serve it over steamed spinach and that tastes great.

good luck! sjt

TheBlueMonster
10-09-2005, 12:42 PM
baste in a mixture of olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. If it's good salmon then the taste of the fish will compiment the subtle marinate.

I sound like I'm on iron chef.

pc in NM
10-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Williams Sonoma Grilling Rubs (http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Cgri lling%20rub&gids=fd192&cmsrc=sch)

http://a1412.g.akamai.net/7/1412/243/0080/image1.styleinamerica.com/wsecimgs/images/products/200540/0001/img63m.jpg

The rub for seafood is excellent!