PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep the money?

Sooga
10-07-2005, 06:57 PM
As some of you know, I teach high school. I switched schools this summer, to one about 60 miles away. However, one of my students I had at my old school (I'll call him Adam), tracked me down, and e-mailed me to ask me if I could write a recommendation letter for him, as he is a senior now. He is a player on the varsity basketball team, and said he had a lot of schools interested in him. I said I'd be more than happy to fill one out for him, so he mailed me the recommendation letter to fill out, and said that his mom would be sending me some postage-paid envelopes to the different colleges, and all I would have to do is make copies of the recommendation letter, and mail them off.

So a few days after that, I get the recommendation letter to fill out. A few days after that, I get an envelope from Adam's mother, and inside are the postage-paid envelopes to various universities, but there is also something else - a clear envelope with a $20 bill inside, telling me that this is for my time and for copying. Now, I can just make copies on the school copy machine, so it doesn't cost me anything, and as for my time? Well, I'll just say if I weren't making the copies and stuffing them into envelopes, I'd probably just be wasting time picking my nose, or doing something similarly unproductive.

I don't feel right keeping this money, but I don't have an address for Adam or his mother to send it back. What should I do?

offTopic
10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As some of you know, I teach high school. I switched schools this summer, to one about 60 miles away. However, one of my students I had at my old school (I'll call him Adam), tracked me down, and e-mailed me to ask me if I could write a recommendation letter for him, as he is a senior now. He is a player on the varsity basketball team, and said he had a lot of schools interested in him. I said I'd be more than happy to fill one out for him, so he mailed me the recommendation letter to fill out, and said that his mom would be sending me some postage-paid envelopes to the different colleges, and all I would have to do is make copies of the recommendation letter, and mail them off.

So a few days after that, I get the recommendation letter to fill out. A few days after that, I get an envelope from Adam's mother, and inside are the postage-paid envelopes to various universities, but there is also something else - a clear envelope with a $20 bill inside, telling me that this is for my time and for copying. Now, I can just make copies on the school copy machine, so it doesn't cost me anything, and as for my time? Well, I'll just say if I weren't making the copies and stuffing them into envelopes, I'd probably just be wasting time picking my nose, or doing something similarly unproductive.

I don't feel right keeping this money, but I don't have an address for Adam or his mother to send it back. What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Send it to the owner of the batting cages.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
its only 20$

donate it or go to a strip club.

bobman0330
10-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Uhhh, this is clearly a bribe, right?

10-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Keep it. It a common custom to give teachers gifts after they write recommendations for a student, especially when they have to write more than one rec. I gave thank you gifts last year after teachers wrote college entrance exams last year, and $20 there way of saying thank you.

Voltron87
10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh, this is clearly a bribe, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

no its definitely not, this is not out of line.

Los Feliz Slim
10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Call your old school to get his address and return the money. Your position as a teacher demands you hold yourself to a high standard of ethics, such that even the appearance of impropriety is a problem.

If you do everything you can to return the money and are completely unable, keep it. Intent is the issue.

RunDownHouse
10-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Jesus, how are you even asking this question? Email him back, get his address, and send him the money.

Seriously, your moral compass is all out of whack.

pokergrader
10-07-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Keep it. It a common custom to give teachers gifts after they write recommendations for a student, especially when they have to write more than one rec. I gave thank you gifts last year after teachers wrote college entrance exams last year, and $20 there way of saying thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]
10-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Seems to not be a big deal but I would consult your ethics handbook and or higher ups on what the policy is for these type of things. This seems small but you don't want it to become one of those taking office supplies home with situations. If the school has a zero tolerance policy or something, you never know what something like thisc could cause.

jackdaniels
10-07-2005, 07:22 PM
I'd be concerned about it looking like you took the money on exchange for writing a positive ref. Not on how it would reflect on you, but how that would reflect on the student.

theghost
10-07-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be concerned about it looking like you took the money on exchange for writing a positive ref. BOTH how it would reflect on you, AND how that would reflect on the student.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

Beer and Pizza
10-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Put the envelope and money into a picture frame and hang it on your wall as a memento.

After a couple years, spend it if you want.

jackdaniels
10-07-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be concerned about it looking like you took the money on exchange for writing a positive ref. BOTH how it would reflect on you, AND how that would reflect on the student.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. It needed it.

10-07-2005, 07:35 PM
no cost no keep

jdl22
10-07-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I said I'd be more than happy to fill one out for him

[/ QUOTE ]

This indicated that you would be willing to do so without being compensated for opportunity cost.

Send it back. As [censored] points out there is a very small but real possibility that not doing so could have huge consequences.

Stu Pidasso
10-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Buy these (http://cgi.ebay.com/500-23mm-900-Eagles-Arcade-Amusement-Tokens-Dutch-NEW_W0QQitemZ6215341791QQcategoryZ13718QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) and have some fun at the batting cages.

Stu

Tron
10-07-2005, 07:56 PM
This could hardly be described as a bribe, but you should probably send it back, or at least create a paper trail that makes it look like you tried!

2+2 wannabe
10-07-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Send it back. As [censored] points out there is a very small but real possibility that not doing so could have huge consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

theben
10-07-2005, 09:24 PM
if you object to keeping it, donate

ghostface
10-07-2005, 10:04 PM
What the hell?

SIIHP!

Sooga
10-08-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus, how are you even asking this question? Email him back, get his address, and send him the money.

Seriously, your moral compass is all out of whack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo? Is that you?

10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
I think I've lost track of how many times I've been banned.

Sooga
10-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Nope, those won't work, they're the wrong size.

Dan Rutter
10-08-2005, 12:28 AM
I would email him and explain that I do not need the $20, first off because I can make the copies at school, and that I do not need anything in return for my time, I am happy to help. So have him email you his address and send back the $20.