PDA

View Full Version : Moving Files and Programs to a New Computer

JohnnyHumongous
10-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Is this complicated? I have over 4 years of great programs and files on my present computer, and ideally I would like to keep them on my new computer. Should I just take out the harddrive and put it in my new computer as a second harddrive? Or is data transfer better?

ghostface
10-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Is this what the firewire port is for? I'm not sure but that may be a start. Google it.

Link774
10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Most complex applications actually need to be installed on your new system, because they make registry keys and such that are required to execute properly. You can just try copying the folders to test it out, and just delete and reinstall the ones that don't work. As far as actually doing the transfer, if you have a desktop which has some room and a spare connection for the hard drive, you should be able to hook it up (though you might need to configure it as a 'slave' on the IDE chain. There's usually a small square jumper that you need to move to set it to be a slave, though you'll need to read the manual for your model hard drive to figure out where it needs to go. Here's some step-by-step instructions: Installing a Hard Drive (http://www.pcmech.com/show/harddrive/43/). Presumably you'd want your new system's drive to stay the master and set your old one up as the slave.

If you don't have a free slot to mount your new drive to the case, which is more common with smaller profile desktops, you might just need to leave it dangling while you transfer the information. Just make sure that the circuit board on the bottom isn't coming into contact with anything metal, and disconnect it when you're finished.

(Edit) Other options include: File sharing over a network (kinda slow if you have a huge amount of files) and USB crossover cables (they sell cables designed for data transfer)

Chief911
10-08-2005, 04:33 PM
There is actually a slick program for this. Its called PC Relocator by a company called alohabob. Its pretty effective. If you are a computer dunce, go buy that and sit back and let it do the work.

Nick

TStoneMBD
10-08-2005, 04:51 PM
a friend of mine who worked for ibm technical support told me that its dangerous to transfer installed programs through the means of copying files. thats why you have install shields. if you take a folder that was installed and copy/paste it somewhere, it could cause damage onto your computer if you use it, so he says.

KenProspero
10-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Recently I transferred data and files from an old old (pre-usb) computer to my new machine.

I used IntelliMover, which is widely available. I'd give it a B+ for the move, and an A for simplicity. Overall, I recommend it.

The software itself (as opposed to data files) will probably have to be reinstalled on the new machine in many cases.

Overall, the process is a PITA, but it's manageable.