PDA

View Full Version : Unsure about this 5/10 hand...

10-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I just recently played this hand on Pacific playing $5/$10. I don't know how I played this and need some feedback. I won the hand, but wanna make sure it was played correctly.

8 handed, I'm under the gun.

10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif , raise it to $10
fold, call, raise, fold, fold, SB caps, BB folds, I call, call, call

flop comes:
Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
capper checks to my suprise,
I check with the intention of check raising to see where I'm at,
other two players check

turn comes:
7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

original capper checks again,
I raise $10, call, call, original capper folds

river comes:
9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet $10 again
fold, guy who originally raised me calls
I take down the pot as he mucks.

The only thing that I can think he had is either 88, 66 or AK and hoping we'd chop the pot. I was shocked to see that the best hand held up and that the 3rd club on the board didn't give someone a flush. I'm still unsure how I played the hand, so please critique. I have limited experience playing such loose limit so help me out! Thanks!!

Argus
10-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Read the handposting guidelines. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3378422&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) You left out a lot of key information like pot size, number of players, and reads. While I can fill in some of it on my own, it makes analysis easier if it's there for me already.

Your plan of check/raising the flop is pretty bad. The preflop capper checking the flop makes me think either monster (usually) or AK that missed. You aren't going to fold overcards in a pot this size, and you can face at best 1 player with 2 cold if you check/raise. I like check/calling this flop and betting or raising a safe turn card depending on the action. It also give you the chance to get away from the hand if the SB check/raises.

Once it checks through on the flop you have a mandatory turn bet - I would even raise if the capper led out. I think you played the hand well, though you had some flawed logic guiding you.

JinX11
10-07-2005, 05:56 PM
I probably don't bet the river.

First, if you are ahead, I don't think you get called on this board all that often (so, in this situation, your bet is not profitable). Second, if you get called, I think you're behind more often than you are ahead (so, in this situation, your bet is still not profitable). Lastly, are you folding to a river raise? - the river card would be a good scare card for an aggressive opponent to raise you. As such, I'd opt for the check-call on the river, hoping to pick off a bluff.

EDIT: I also am not fond of check-raising the flop. Paying two bets "to find out where you are" is pretty expensive.

W. Deranged
10-07-2005, 05:58 PM
The river value bet here is excellent, in my opinion. That's the best part of the hand.

Hero actually played the hand quite well, though I'd encourage him not to think in terms of "check-raising to see where I'm at." The check-raise is for value and protection, with information as a third, much lesser purpose. That said, I think the check-raise is the right play; the whiff is unfortunate but pretty unlikely under most circumstances.

JinX11
10-07-2005, 06:02 PM
So, you believe he is called with a winning hand > he is called with a losing hand here? I don't know if I see it. What does he do if raised? Most likely fold, depending on any reads he may have?

alul
10-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I have to disagree with the intention of check/raising the flop. Even if you have the best hand on the flop (which is unlikely, considering PF action) it can be ruined on the turn. I'd wait 'till the turn. Saying allthat I like how the hand was played. The river bet is a must.