PDA

View Full Version : madden '05

joecash
10-07-2005, 05:24 PM
I know you guys are all getting good at madden '06 now, but I just got a copy of '05. What are the key things to do to win htis game? My running game is a joke - somethimes I get a 8-10 yard run, but usually stopped for a loss. And passing deep is just so-so. What should I be doing to beat this thing?

SL__72
10-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I found that version very easy to run on. Find some plays that work for you and stick to them. I like counters, HB slam, HB off tackle, those sort of plays. Outside running plays don't work as well. Also learn to read/follow blocking.

For passing just find some plays you can be consistant on and stick to them. Once that works you can expand.

Defense I mostly played man and jammed a lot. Stunting your d-line helps too.

joecash
10-07-2005, 06:06 PM
I thought it was smart enough not to let you keep passing with the same play/recever - no?

Oh the thing I forgot - play action passing - this thing kills me that I almost avoid using it. It develops so slowly that I get sacked a lot. Is there a trick here?

SCfuji
10-07-2005, 06:16 PM
what team are you using?

McGahee
10-07-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I found that version very easy to run on. Find some plays that work for you and stick to them. I like counters, HB slam, HB off tackle, those sort of plays. Outside running plays don't work as well. Also learn to read/follow blocking.

For passing just find some plays you can be consistant on and stick to them. Once that works you can expand.

Defense I mostly played man and jammed a lot. Stunting your d-line helps too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really good advice offensively.
On defense just get good players and play man/cover2.

Shoe
10-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I still think madden '98 is the best one ever made

ackid
10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
This game kick's ass!!! I just finished my 1st franchise season with a perfect record 16-0 and beat Titans in the Super Bowl!!!!

There is a trick to running that works for me.

Run to the outside, follow your blocks and hit the spin button 2-3 times. Dont use the cutback button. Spin works alot better. It also helps to have a fast back. I play the Redskins and Portis is a bad mutha fer!!!

joecash
10-08-2005, 12:23 PM
bump for more ideas.

what about the deep passing game? is there a trick to catching more bombs?

Matador225
10-08-2005, 03:30 PM
You need a good receiver to catch bombs somewhat consistently. In general bombs don't work as often as they should because the receivers don't go for the ball like they should. I generally stick to flags, curls, posts, outs, etc.

bones
10-08-2005, 04:18 PM
If you have a fast RB that can break a tackle once in awhile, run goaline HB off tackle. I usually change the direction of the run to the left. When they're playing man, the corner comes in over the TE, leaving you with the opportunity to bounce the run outside and break a huge run. If the corner stays wide, just take it off tackle for 6-8 yds.

10-08-2005, 04:27 PM
madden sux. espn has been my game for years. switch over.

HajiShirazu
10-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi,
There is only one technique to effective offensive in this game, called the "studda step."
Run your player at a 45 degree angle to the line of scrimmage toward the sideline and then completely let go of the analog stick, and press the juke toward the sideline. If you do it right, your player will do a "studda step" like juke where he kind of fakes forward and then "slides" to the outside. The defenders are terribly stupid against this move, they are totally paralyzed for an instant and just start running in the wrong direction before recovering. It works best on a counter or slam play, you immediately start doing the move as you get the ball and just do it over and over, making your way to the sidelines. You can consistantly get 15 yard gains this way and if you're any good you can use it again back toward the middle to get past the safety who is usually the only guy in position to make the tackle(the opposing d is often around the hash marks when you cross the line of scrimmage near the sideline.) If he does the thing where he bounces up off the ground you did it wrong. The key is to make sure you let up on the button completely, but still have your player moving forward a little due to his momentum when you press the R1.
There is also an onside kick technique that you can get back about 80% of the time but I can't remember how to do it. I used these two to win by 250 in a 6 minute quarter all madden game, with Trung Candidate breaking the 1,500 yard barrier in one game.

thatpfunk
10-09-2005, 07:33 AM
on another madden post...
i have a franchise with 2 other guys in madden '06. the very first season 7 differnet players ran for over 2k yards including Vick for 2100 and LT for 2600.

this normal for anyone else?
(none of our players approached 2k yards)

DoubleDown
10-09-2005, 11:06 AM
some good ideas listed above. here are some additional.

for deep passing- a fast reciever is KEY. the trick is to switch into control of the reciever once the QB has launched the ball. once you have control of the WR, push off of the DB by pressing the analog stick back towards his direction, followed by initiating a speed burst right away. this should create the necessary gap that will help you catch the ball nearly every time. once you see the ball dropping towards the target, saunter over, make sure to pull it in via the triangle button, and then high-step your way to paydirt.

kickoffs- use the squib kick. finding out the proper power/accuracy ratio is an art more than a science as it is different for each kicker. in general, you want to aim the kick slightly off center and the power and accuracy should be less than full. your goal is to have the ball land in front of the 2nd to last line of the recieving team, where an unsuspecting returner will be confused at seeing the ball and will proceed to run around the ball instead of picking it up. this should give you plenty time to sprint down the sidelines and scoop up the pigskin for a game-changing turnover.

g'luck

10-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Madden '05 is one of the shittiest sports sims ever released. It was so bad EA had to monopolize rights to publish NFL videogames to stay competitive.

Here's the reason Madden '05 sucks. When you're on offense, just do a bunch of formation changes. This fatigues the defense. Easy winning from there.

joecash
10-11-2005, 08:53 PM
OK, here's 2 things that I want to figure out:

1. How do you jam guys at the line of scrimmage? Is it B? I need to shut dowm some of these recevers.

2. Here is one that pisses me off. When you hit the top part of the button that controls the players movement, does that make him go towards the end zone OR straight in front of the player? I think its the second way cuz when a guy is running towards the sideline, he keeps going toward the sideline when I want him to turn up the field. Anyone know what I mean?

DoubleDown
10-11-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. How do you jam guys at the line of scrimmage? Is it B? I need to shut dowm some of these recevers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Triangle + D-pad Down to jam the recievers at the line

Triangle + D-pad Left to bring the safeties up in the box and stuff against the run

joecash
10-11-2005, 09:11 PM
OK, I'll try to convert to xbox. (I know I can bring the safeties in though.)

10-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Create a Full back with 100 overall, total speed and great hands. Your HB will get at least 1400 yards by doing this. Plus this FB will be a great option for 5-15 yard 3rd down-type passes to the sides.

10-11-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bump for more ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make a wide receiver who is like 6'7" with 100 overall who can jump. Bomb them deep and he can go up and get them.

Also, on defense, get great corner backs and safetys. If you can have the lead by the end of the third quarter, just use the Cover 2 defense and you'll get about 2-5 picks in the fourth quarter alone and end up scoring more points with your defense than with offense.

What happens is the opponent is trailing with little time left so they are forced to throw the ball to keep the clock from running and they try to pass to the sidelines to run out of bounds. When they do this, the cover 2 is very aggressive and will run up and pick those lobs off.

10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Might as well create a whole team with players that are 100 overall.

theben
10-11-2005, 11:22 PM
get a better Oline.

im all for the power rushers

10-11-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Might as well create a whole team with players that are 100 overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice.

Mr_J
10-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Yeh if you wanna win every game by 40 pts.

To the guy who said stick to the inside runs?? Rubbish, I get my best gains on the outside. Using the blocker thumbstick often gains you a bit, and sometimes makes that key block that lets you go for that big gain. Don't press boost when you get the ball, be patient and wait for your linemen to do their job. I always use the barge button when running on the inside.

Deep passes, constantly use motion, formation changes etc to try and create a mismatch. When passing deep you really need to use someone fast. I usually force my QB to overthrow it and the sprint my WR to it. Sometimes the CB can knock it away, and often the ball floats over my WRs head, but he catches up to it often enough for that gamebreaking play. Also try swapping your best WR into the slot and match up against a slow safety or linebacker.

Any good tips for your secondary?? Doubling their best WR with your corner bumping him (does this tire out the WR??)?? How often do you line up when man on man?? I've found doing it only every play is bad for the run, so I usually do it when it's say 2nd and 10, or 3rd and 6 etc.

My D sucks though (apart from blitzing).

Koss
10-12-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bump for more ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a fast receiver. Someone with a speed of 95, preferably 97 or higher. Also the cornerback has to be a couple notches slower than him, and your QB must have a good arm and be accurate. Then on any passing downs, if the safeties move up in the box, use a hot route and have your fast receiver run a go. He should burn the corner, and since the safeties have moved up there's no help over the top. This works for me 9/10 times.

SL__72
10-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Everyone trying to say you need a fast reciever is completely incorrect. I've found that for the most consistant deep game that is exactly the opposite of what you need. Now if you want to get 80 yard plays that obviously is the case but if you are looking to increase the number of 25-40 yard passing plays you definately don't need someone fast.

Here is what you do. Draft Todd Heap (or someone else who is 6'4"+ has good hands and is relatively slow. Idealy Shockey speed or slower. You line slow/tall/hands guy out wide. He runs a fly. It helps if you can get him 1 on 1 with the corner so you might want to have another reciever on that side to distract the SS. You let him run 20-30 yards downfield. You loft the pass. You take control of the reciever. Inevitably the corner will be deeper then your slowass and have "perfect coverage position..." this is what you want. When the ball gets close you simply jump up and catch it before the corner can do anything. Since he is deeper then you there is no way for him to interfere... You will usually get tackled right away but you are 30-40 or more yards downfield so who cares. Plus since you are a big fucker like Todd Heap you will often be able to break the tackle and take it a lot further. Being able to catch well is important because you get hit right away so there is a chance you will drop the ball again.

danzasmack
10-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Here is the best advice for '05 (besides getting '06 which is like 999999999 times better)

1) defense starts at defensive ends. the better pash rush you create, the more guys you can drop back in coverage.

2) i bump and run on every down on d.

3) Oline is where offense starts and ends. You want a HB who is fast enough (speed of at least 90, shoot for like 92, 93) and make sure he has good carry. Then just visual the blocks that have to happen for a run. If you have a good Oline, just push to the outside and let your fullback pick up the MLB. If you are getting housed by their D - as in their DE wins the battle with your tackle, try dive plays, counters, and tosses. but from my experience, HB Slam and HB Off tackle are the best running plays in the game, hands down.

4) pass short at first. when i first started playing, the only play i ran was the HB Option in shotgun 4 wide (giants playbook). But then start to mix it up. if you play on pro or all pro the safety will come down on PA every single time. And remember - before you pass, stop moving. Unless you have D Nabb or someone as your QB.

just start at pro and move your way up.

Actually just don't play, ever. I play so much madden it hurts to be alive.