PDA

View Full Version : Top pair and big? draw

10-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Opponent is goofy, only way I can really describe him. We both have $200 stacks. He makes big overbets, both preflop and postflop. I hadn't seen any of his hands at showdown though. What do I do?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em (NL$200) <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $1.00, Hero checks.

Flop: ($4.00) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2.00</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.00</font>, SB calls $4.00.

Turn: ($16.00) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $35.00</font>

10-07-2005, 06:06 PM
if you feel like you want to see this down to the end, call it and keep it cheap. if you've seen him call more than raise, make a blocking bet on the river. you could be drawing dead here, or have tons of outs.

10-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm last to act, is there another line besides a blocking bet on the river you suggest? Or do you actually mean bet a smallish amount when checked to on the river? Seems like checking behind would be the way to go if we call the turn.

Just seems calling here is meh with the size of the pot, especially if he is going to shut down if the 4th spade comes.

10-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Heh, Im sorry, Im an idiot, I thought you were first to act.

okay, I argued for calling it to keep it cheap because that 9 would hit two possible draws: Nut flush, gutshot, or the top end of an OESD... The only way to try and define whether or not he hit it is a raise, but if he did, you're off the hand.

I will be interested to see what the other advice is on here.

10-07-2005, 06:35 PM
your subject line is very misleading and perhaps indicative of your improper thinking IMO.

This is NOT a big draw. All you have is TP2K with a king high flush draw that would be made with 4 to the flush on board. This is not a good spot, and not a big draw. I don't mind raising the flop, but I'm folding here on the turn. There's just no reason to put a lot of money into this hand. Fold the turn.

10-07-2005, 06:41 PM
okay phew, I thought I was misreading this. I might make the calldown with the Ace of spades, but ath depends on the ipmlied odds when the 4th swpade hits. if you think he's gonna dry up you're getting awful odds.

that's why I said if you WANT to see this down.

10-07-2005, 08:22 PM
I did fold, thats why I put the '?' after 'big draw' though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

amoeba
10-07-2005, 08:28 PM
easy fold on the turn.

the top pair of your part does not really contribute as hitting another 9 or hitting a K likely does not improve your hand against him.