PDA

View Full Version : My favorite sandwich

10-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Has mankind ever invented a tastier sandwich than the Reuben?
I just had a delicious Reuben sandwich from a nondesript deli in downtown Manhattan and it delivered a gastronomic satisfaction akin to gourmet dining.
Grilled corned beef with sauerkraut on rye w/ Russian dressing. Pure poetry. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Freakin
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Monte Cristo

10-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Ruebens are indeed awesome, although I don't know that they're necessarily any greater than any sandwich made with good italian cured meat.

Now I'm hungry again.

rlpsjstyle
10-07-2005, 03:55 PM
To each his own, but for me, just the word "reuben" invokes thoughts of inverting my stomach.

Let me break it down by ingredient:
Grilled corned beef (I hate it.)
sauerkraut (I REALLY hate it.)
on rye (Alright, Rye is decent.)
w/ Russian dressing (No good at all.)

stabn
10-07-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To each his own, but for me, just the word "reuben" invokes thoughts of inverting my stomach.

Let me break it down by ingredient:
Grilled corned beef (I hate it.)
sauerkraut (I REALLY hate it.)
on rye (Alright, Rye is decent.)
w/ Russian dressing (No good at all.)

[/ QUOTE ]

67. You have no taste.

benza13
10-07-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has mankind ever invented a tastier sandwich than the Reuben?
I just had a delicious Reuben sandwich from a nondesript deli in downtown Manhattan and it delivered a gastronomic satisfaction akin to gourmet dining.
Grilled corned beef with sauerkraut on rye w/ Russian dressing. Pure poetry. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The few times each year I have a Reuben these are my exact thoughts. When I haven't had one for a while I seem to forget about it. Definitely a damn good sandwich though.

Rev. Good Will
10-07-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm going with "the beast", or any other sandwich from Cherry Valley

the beast:
chicken cutlet, swiss, onion rings, gravy on toasted garlic bread

if you went to a deli in NYC, you're probably better off going to the Queens (http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&hs=62c&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official_s&q=cherry-valley+deli&near=New+York,+NY&sa=X&oi=localr&latln g=40714167,-74006389,13190826655503200355) location. if not, they have a West Hempstead (http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&q=cherry-valley+deli&near=NY&btnG=Search&latlng=40714167,-74006389,13597865410699088205) location as well.

phage
10-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Any of the Sandwiches from this place:
http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/images/front2.jpg

Los Feliz Slim
10-07-2005, 04:17 PM
#19 (pastrami, coleslaw, swiss, and russian on rye) from here:
http://you-are-here.com/restaurant/langers.jpg

WDC
10-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Hot pastrami, melted swiss with cole slaw and russian dressing will give the reuben a good fight

Smarty
10-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Before I opened this thread, I knew the answer would be the reuben. Reubens > other sandwiches

tonypaladino
10-07-2005, 08:43 PM
A real italian hero is the best.

Ham, Prociutto, Capicola, Salami, Sopresota, (am I spelling any of these right?), Provolone Cheese, Roasted Peppers, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar and Salt and Pepper.

Optional: Pepperoni, Anchovies, Spicy Peppers, Smoked Mozzerella….

Colonel Kataffy
10-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Theyre definitely better than whitefish and capers.

StevieG
10-08-2005, 12:10 AM
The Lou Koch Special (roast beef, turkey, chopped liver, onion, mustard on rye) at Koch's Deli (http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/outoftown/pennsylvania/philadelphia/west/kochs/) is a personal favorite, but I have a strange thing for chopped liver on deli sandwiches.

The PCOM Special (corned beef, roast beef, chicken salad, muenster, russian dressing on hoagie roll) is another winner.

But outside Koch's, I'll take a reuben or corned beef special anytime.

crookedhat99
10-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Yea reubens are definitely the best sandwich. My aftergolf meal is 1 reuben from Murray's (pickle on side) and 2 chocolate milks. sooo good

I wouldn't really consider a "hero" (hoagie duh) a sandwich though because that's unfair to normal sandwiches.

10-08-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Now I'm hungry again.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-08-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has mankind ever invented a tastier sandwich than the Reuben?[ QUOTE ]

I agree the Ruben is one of my favorites. There's also a local pizza delivery company that has a sandwich called the TBS. Its turkey, bacon (mmmmmmm..baaacooonnn), melted swiss cheese, lettuce, onion and mayo served on a 12 inch toasted hogie bun. Think I know what I'll be having for lunch today.

KingDan
10-08-2005, 11:24 AM
This place, the grease trucks (monkey?) near Rutgers has great sandwiches, one being the The Fat Darryl.

Chicken fingers, french fries, motzerlla sticks, and mariana sauce on a bun.

Smarty
10-08-2005, 12:00 PM
The line at Koch's is too long. I went for my first time last weekend.

Argus
10-08-2005, 12:10 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Monte Cristo

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one else has defended this! Definitely my favourite sandwich, though Reubens are delicious. I just can't deny the deliciousness of fried foods. I had a great Monte Cristo at the MGM served with raspberry preserves - it fueled a good late night 4/8 session.

Wait, no poker in OOT. I mean craps!

mantasm
10-08-2005, 12:11 PM
I love these but hate all the individual ingredients by themselves.

HtotheNootch
10-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Reuben's are good, but the best sandwhiches are made by these guys:

http://www.arthuravenue.com/Dispatch.jsp?screen=aboutus#press

Mike's Deli on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

StevieG
10-08-2005, 01:25 PM
No doubt the line is silly long. It's best to go well before you actually plan to eat the sandwich.

But if you go with a friend, tell jokes back and forth with the deli guys, and enjoy the free samples passed out, the wait is tolerable.

Incidentally, a guy I went to school with at Penn worked at Koch's for a while. Part of his interview/auditoin was telling jokes.

10-08-2005, 01:44 PM
I had a Johnny Rocket's cheeseburger yesterday. It's my new favorite sandwich.

Evan
10-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Some of my favorites:

Spicy chicken cutlet (fried) with bacond and melted mozzerella on a hard roll from a local deli where I grew up.

Hot pastrami on rye form any Jewish deli.

BBQ chicken on a soft roll w/ mashed potatos (the side kind of makes the sandwich, so I'mnot sure if this counts) from a bar in Greenwich village.

#6 from Wendy's.

Burger from Jackson Hole (burger chain in NY, maybe other places too, I'm not sure) with bacon and BBQ sauce cooked medium rare. It has a name but I can't remember it.

edtost
10-08-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of my favorites:

Spicy chicken cutlet (fried) with bacond and melted mozzerella on a hard roll from a local deli where I grew up.

Hot pastrami on rye from any Jewish deli.

[/ QUOTE ]

to add:

same spicy chicken cutlet, with bacon, cheddar, and a mix of buffalo and ranch on a st. anthony roll

(cluck'n russian) regular chicken cutlet, meunster, bacon, and russian on a hard roll from one of the other local delis where i grew up

(fat lady) cheese steak with mozzarella sticks, fries, and hot sauce from hoagie haven in pton

PoBoy321
10-08-2005, 03:01 PM
No, manknd has never invented a taste form of food than the Reuben, period. I, however, like mine with pastrami and cole slaw rather corn beef and saur kraut.

Pastrami is, of course, the most sensual of the salted, cured meats, and cole slaw, well, I'll leave that up to your imagination.

zephed
10-08-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm really pissed that you ate a sandwich that required an animal be killed in order to eat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evan
10-08-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(cluck'n russian) regular chicken cutlet, meunster, bacon, and russian on a hard roll from one of the other local delis where i grew up

[/ QUOTE ]
Regardless of what you and the weird kids from high school say, that place is not local. I lived closer to it than most people and it was still too far in my opinoin. It had the advantge of being 24/7, but so did Rocky's, which was much closer to the bars anyway. All in all, no reason to ever go there.

SippinSoma
10-08-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

#6 from Wendy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had this today. Always leaves me wanting more. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

edtost
10-08-2005, 03:40 PM
cameron's was closer to KG and when with people from pound ridge, and that sandwich was awesome.

in general, though, you are correct that rocky's is the far better 24/7 and M+R is by far the best around during the day.

theben
10-08-2005, 03:44 PM
sierra turkey at panera