PDA

View Full Version : Party as weak tight as Stars ?

lefty rosen
10-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I was playing 1/2 full clearing the Party bonus and I never seen so many cigar store indians in my life. I think the depends diapers were full after their sessions. Nobody bet into a brick board or even chased against one. I mean if you play that bad post flop there is no way you can be even a winning player at Party .5/1........... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bluffoon
10-07-2005, 12:36 PM
run em over....

crazy canuck
10-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I think it happens during bonus times. I guess many players who normally play higher drop down.

10-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Party at bonus time gets that way - it's not Absolute by any means, but it's close.

Stars, on the other hand, seems to be getting looser all the time, although their last reload offer might have brought out the weak-tighties too.

Rasputin
10-07-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it happens during bonus times. I guess many players who normally play higher drop down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would someone drop down just to clear a bonus?

Shoe
10-08-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are morans.

Corey
10-08-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 has 80%+ raked pots (thanks to the drop at 2.5 BB). It much faster, especially at 6-max.

I've never done it but I'm sure that's the reason most people do it.

Pov
10-08-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are morans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people realize the Party bonuses clear faster at $1/$2 than $2/$4 by over 50%, faster than $3/$6 by over 25% and even faster than at $5/$10 by a small amount. If you were just trying to clear the bonus so you could go back to playing somewhere else then you'd be a "moran" to play at a higher limit.

10-08-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were not a winning player at those levels and just trying to clear the bonus so you could go back to sucking somewhere else then you'd be a "moran" to play at a higher limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

Pov
10-08-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you were not a winning player at those levels and just trying to clear the bonus so you could go back to sucking somewhere else then you'd be a "moran" to play at a higher limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. I have no doubt that is true for some, but fact is, many people only log onto Party long enough to clear the bonus and then go back to earning unmentionable. This is best done at $1/$2. If you want to dream none of these players are winning go ahead. Ostriches do really well at poker.

NLfool
10-08-2005, 04:09 AM
LOL shameful, but a few years ago when I started at $25 NL I would just post the blinds at all 4 tables and fold or move in preflop with AA, KK ,QQ. Not only was I clearing the bonus really fast (couple of hours at most but I also made an incredible profit playing the most unimaginable game)

10-08-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lol. I have no doubt that is true for some, but fact is, many people only log onto Party long enough to clear the bonus and then go back to earning unmentionable. This is best done at $1/$2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a real problem with this "many people" theory. It seems to be based on little besides talking to others here at 2+2, and maybe some friends who share their bonus-whoring strategies. Most people don't leave Party for other sites. Absolute has stackable perpetual bonuses and simultaneous unmentionable, and it's stone dead compared to Party. Pokerstars has zero unmentionable, rarely has bonuses, and is growing pretty quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
Ostriches do really well at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gratuitous personal insults are cool.

Pov
10-08-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lol. I have no doubt that is true for some, but fact is, many people only log onto Party long enough to clear the bonus and then go back to earning unmentionable. This is best done at $1/$2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a real problem with this "many people" theory. It seems to be based on little besides talking to others here at 2+2, and maybe some friends who share their bonus-whoring strategies. Most people don't leave Party for other sites. Absolute has stackable perpetual bonuses and simultaneous unmentionable, and it's stone dead compared to Party. Pokerstars has zero unmentionable, rarely has bonuses, and is growing pretty quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
Ostriches do really well at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gratuitous personal insults are cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

This discussion is referring to players who "drop down" to clear bonuses. I think your points about Absolute and Pokertars are irrelevant to that point. Absolute sucks because no one plays there except bonus chasers. Pokerstars is growing because they market well and have good tournaments. That has nothing to do with Party bonus chasers clearing their bonus at $1/$2.

You may have a point about the "many", but I think it probably is a significant number. I am a pretty small time player and I know at least half a dozen people who do this. This leads me to believe it is very common, but maybe my experience is atypical.

As for insults, I learned it from watching *you*, dad! Sorry I was rude, but your FYP was pretty rude (and wrong) and it coaxed me to misbehave. I'll try to do better.

10-08-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your points about Absolute and Pokertars are irrelevant to that point. Absolute sucks because no one plays there except bonus chasers. Pokerstars is growing because they market well and have good tournaments. That has nothing to do with Party bonus chasers clearing their bonus at $1/$2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think my points about Absolute and Pokerstars are relevant for precisely those reasons. The vast majority of Party bonus chasers are exactly that: Party customers who found a bonus offer in their e-mail. They're not figuring out the best clearance rate, and not running off to a "better" site as soon as the bonus is done (although they might cash out that $100 and slow down their play at Party in favor of work, hobbies, etc.).

Most are not weak-tight because they're 2/4 players moving down and playing like their regular weak-tight selves, they're weak-tight because they're scared of losing more than what the bonus is worth.

[ QUOTE ]
As for insults, I learned it from watching *you*, dad! Sorry I was rude, but your FYP was pretty rude (and wrong) and it coaxed me to misbehave. I'll try to do better.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I had known you were referring to yourself, I wouldn't have insinuated that your win rate at 2/4 was lower than your bonus-clearing rate at 1/2. I apologize.

I can be a little stinker though, just so you know.

Pov
10-08-2005, 05:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most are not weak-tight because they're 2-4 players moving down and playing like their regular weak-tight selves, they're weak-tight because they're scared of losing more than what the bonus is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're talking about the original poster's question of the entire 1/2 level, this could very well be the case. I find it more likely they're just playing too many tables cramming in hands. I know I have a tendency to use my run-over tactics against multi-tablers unless I've decided they're one of the good ones. Also I think a lot of players at this level are just learning to be winners and have got tight figured out and are still working on adding aggressive.

But in any event, I was only referring to people who do actually drop down from 2/4 and 3/6 to clear bonuses at Party in my original post. For these people, I think the combination of the quicker clearance and that it ties up much less bankroll to have adequate money to clear it makes $1/$2 an attractive option. Drop in $500, play a few hours and cash back out.

[ QUOTE ]
If I had known you were referring to yourself, I wouldn't have insinuated that your win rate at 2/4 was lower than your bonus-clearing rate at 1/2. I apologize.

I can be a little stinker though, just so you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well therein lies the rub. At solid winrates, say if you were making 3 BB/100 at 1/2 and 2 BB/100 at 2/4 you'd still be better off playing 2/4, though not by a large margin. This is why I personally wouldn't drop down, but at lower winrates and more limited bankrolls it makes more and more sense to play the bonus at the lower limit.

So having written that I now have a much better understanding of what you were getting at with your original FYP and I guess I actually agree with you to some extent, though I didn't realize it at the time because of the way it was stated. Too late, too much beer. Out.

Shoe
10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1/2 has 80%+ raked pots (thanks to the drop at 2.5 BB). It much faster, especially at 6-max.

I've never done it but I'm sure that's the reason most people do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the bonus clears a little faster, don't you realize that you are making more money at $2/$4 or $3/$6 where the 2.5 BB hands that you win are RAKE FREE??? All those little drops add up.

Sure, go ahead and drop down to $1/$2 if you want to save time, but you are giving up a portion of your bonus by doing so. -EV.