PDA

View Full Version : Nine Guys, No Weapons

Hamish McBagpipe
10-07-2005, 11:34 AM
We just watched The Warriors last night and this morning in the paper I noticed, by coincidence, that there is a new Warriors game coming out in a couple of weeks for PS2, XBox, etc.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8398/product3366262ph.jpg

This is a great movie. Hadn't seen it for years and it seemed even better now. After seeing this I wanted to get a clown outfit, a bike chain, a pair of rollerskates and go for a rumble.

If you haven't seen this one, it's a must see, so "spoiler alert", but I can't imagine many here who haven't seen it.

Some observations:

- Michael Beck as Swan, the Warrior's new leader after Cleon gets waxed, is one of the coolest dudes ever on film. I can't believe that at least some of this cast didn't go to become more successful.

- a gang of seemingly-mute baseball players with Kiss-like makeup and baseball bats, the Baseball Furies, seem to invoke fear in this movie, not laughter as they would in real life. Also, they seem to be able to run at a full sprint for 20 minutes. But, these guys scared the crap out of me the first time I saw this movie when I was 9 or 10.

- 1970s New York was a real [censored] hole. Although I think the movie is supposed to be set in the "near future", a la Clockwork Orange, and was obviously shot on sets,
I think some of the shots of New York were legit and it looked pretty freakin' bad.

- Cyrus' "CAN YOU DIG IT?!?" and "Warriors, come out to plaaaay-eee-ay!!" surely must have made the most memorable movie quote list.

- When you encounter a gang of overall wearing farmers with a leader on roller skates, it's best to lead them into the bathroom of a subway arcade to beat the [censored] out of them.

- I like the idea that the Warriors didn't have assault rifles, uzis, and never-ending ammo. They mostly ran but fought (in slo-mo) when they had to with whatever they could find.

- I felt bad for the Orphans, the second-rate gang of apparent mutants and retards, who were "so low down they're not even on the map."

Absolute classic. I read that there is some version out there, shown on UK TV, that has an extended opening that fits well with the rest. Anyone seen this? I might re-rent this one just to see more.

"You Warriors are good. Real Good." lol.

But really, and I am being totally straight on this one, there is a scene on the subway that completely makes the movie and is one of the best ever. Swan and Mercy are sitting there when two preppy-looking young couples (albeit w/disco-era suits) get on. The difference between the beat-up Swan, with bedraggled Mercy beside him, is too much and the affluent group's good humour quickly fades in awkwardness. We know that Swan and Mercy realize they are looking at the other side of the tracks that perhaps they will never be on, but when Mercy starts to try to fix her hair Swan puts her hand back in her lap and it is only the well-dressed couples who look embarrassed and quickly exit. No dialogue at all, but a perfect scene.

I would seriously consider getting a PS2 just for this game if it is like the movie. For now I'm just going out to get one of these vests.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8256/warriorsvesta1sml0hb.jpg

samjjones
10-07-2005, 11:39 AM
At least David Patrick Kelly moved on to have a successful career.

sfer
10-07-2005, 11:42 AM
This is the 4th time I've heard about that movie in the last 6 days. First time about the game. Second time I was reading an essay published earlier this year about an unused subway platform on the Hoyt stop in Brooklyn, and how it was used as a movie set when a subway background was necessary, for example in The Warriors. Third time Belle and Sebastian talked about it on Sunday during their between song chatter. Fourth time now. Weird.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Third time Belle and Sebastian talked about it on Sunday during their between song chatter

[/ QUOTE ]

That's wild, I'm a big B+S fan and I go to their web sites occassionally, I'd like to hear what they say. Apparantly The Warriors is way more popular in Britain. Since Clockwork Orange was banned this may have been the low-rent alternative for the hooligan gangs, hehe.

imported_The Vibesman
10-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Just to let everyone know, this is being remade with Tony Scott as the director. Rosario Dawson, James Franco and Anthony Mackie have been cast. Apparently it will have "martial arts action rather than traditional street gangland warfare."

Tony's no Walter Hill, I'll say that. But he's not bad, so maybe this won't be a total loss...

Shajen
10-07-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just to let everyone know, this is being remade with Tony Scott as the director. Rosario Dawson, James Franco and Anthony Mackie have been cast. Apparently it will have "martial arts action rather than traditional street gangland warfare."

Tony's no Walter Hill, I'll say that. But he's not bad, so maybe this won't be a total loss...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://students.washington.edu/dchang85/images/bobblehead.gif

This guy thinks this is a horrible idea.

And I agree with him.

sfer
10-07-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Third time Belle and Sebastian talked about it on Sunday during their between song chatter

[/ QUOTE ]

That's wild, I'm a big B+S fan and I go to their web sites occassionally, I'd like to hear what they say. Apparantly The Warriors is way more popular in Britain. Since Clockwork Orange was banned this may have been the low-rent alternative for the hooligan gangs, hehe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuart mentioned that being in NY reminds him of the movie, how much he loves it, and that he watches it once a year or so.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-07-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, could be good. Reminds me of the remake of Assault on Precinct 13 which was totally average compared to the original. But you never know, the new Warriors could be good...add some new gimmicky gangs and some good street fights and I'd give it a watch.

B Dids
10-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Apparently the DVD re-release has this silly device where for some screen transitions the movie freezes into cartoon pannels and then shifts. Odd and needless edit apparently.

rlpsjstyle
10-07-2005, 12:43 PM
One of my favorite movies, no doubt. I watch it at least once every couple weeks.

I'll be getting the game once it comes out (I have xBox, not PS2), but if you'd like a summary once I get it in comparison to the game, I can arrange for that.

Oh, and check out these sweet Warrior toys. (http://www.mezcotoyz.com/products.asp?pline=war)

Hamish McBagpipe
10-07-2005, 01:20 PM
lol,

http://comicworld.gr/docs/Baseball-Furie.jpg

rlpsjstyle
10-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Apparently, the Limited Edition Blue Fury goes for serious money on eBay. If I felt like bypassing the web filtering at work, I'd post a link.

colgin
10-07-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Beck as Swan, the Warrior's new leader after Cleon gets waxed. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, Michael Beck passed away about a month or so ago.

Great movie. I remember being in grade school as a kid when this opened. None of our parents wanted to let us go because there were rumors about fights breaking out during screenings which was probably mostly bullshit. Anyway, we all snuck in to see it. Alas, no fights.

Another thing. While cool in the movie (and still so today), after hearing some fourth grader say "Can You Dig It!" or "Warriors, come out and plaaaayyy!" for like the ten-thousandth time, it was not so cool.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-07-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

deadoraliveinfo.com has him as alive at 56 years old. Might have been a different Mike Beck? His Imbd seems to have him working pretty steady since The Warriors but mostly on TV movies and guest appearances on Nash Bridges and JAG.

Los Feliz Slim
10-07-2005, 06:30 PM
The DJ from "The Warriors" is the woman who plays (played?) The Chief in "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?"

StevieG
10-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Fantastic movie, and faithfully follows the geography of New York for the Warriors to make their way back to Coney Island with everyone out to get them.

But you seriously think that the Furies are scary in the movie but would be funny in real life?

To me it is the exact opposite. They look absolutely ludicrous on screen, but if I were to find myself face to face with 5 guys in clown makeup, uniforms and baseball bats, that refused to talk, with no one else around, I would be extremely perturbed.

bdk3clash
10-07-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fantastic movie, and faithfully follows the geography of New York for the Warriors to make their way back to Coney Island with everyone out to get them.

[/ QUOTE ]
One of my favorite movie lines ever comes from "The Warriors." When contemplating the trip from the Bronx to Coney Island, one of the Warriors guesses that it must be "fifty or a hundred miles from here!"

I have a friend who is a producer for the upcoming game. He says it's based on the original, not the remake, and that it features some new voice acting from members of the original cast.

colgin
10-07-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

deadoraliveinfo.com has him as alive at 56 years old. Might have been a different Mike Beck? His Imbd seems to have him working pretty steady since The Warriors but mostly on TV movies and guest appearances on Nash Bridges and JAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reports of his death have been premature. I am very happy to be totally wrong about this and should have double-checked before I postedthis nonsense.

In my drug-damaged brain I had a very clear recollecton of reading an obit about one of the leads from "The Warriors" while I was at the gym this past summer. It turns out I had read the wedding announcement for David Patrick Kelly ("Warriors, come out and plaaayyy!!") and that got sort of twisted.

I guess I done fried my brain but good. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dominic
10-07-2005, 10:13 PM
James Remar (Ajax) also has had a long and successful career, including playing Samantha's [censored] boss and lover on Sex and the City.

James Remar (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001664/)

Deborah van Valkenburgh (Mercy) also had some success - she later was a regular on the 80s Ted Knight sitcom, "Too Close for Comfort."

The woman who played the DJ, Lynn Thigpen, was an accomplished, Tony-Award winning actress who died a few years ago.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-07-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But you seriously think that the Furies are scary in the movie but would be funny in real life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe these demented rejects from the intramural wing of the Kiss Army would invoke some fear:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/162/furies4jx.jpg

But these guys, the "High Hats", from earlier in the movie, can not be taken as a serious threat. If I saw these guys coming I'd reach for change, not run:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1986/highhats1qx.jpg

These are from link (http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/gangs/) which seems to have everything on the movie, remake, and game.

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently the DVD re-release ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read about the re-release. It is supposed to have the director's cut with the extended beginning on it. Total coincidence about us renting last night, it was just an old copy on VHS.