PDA

View Full Version : "Alphaville" DVD Movie Review

Mark Heide
05-22-2003, 08:23 PM
This is a French black and white film by Jean-Luc Godard from 1965. It's a science fiction film about an intergalactic agent who comes to Alphaville to kill the inventer of the facist computer Alpha 60. The city is run by a computer, words that cause trouble are removed from dictionaries, dissidents are executed, and everything in life is governed by logic. Depending on who's side you are on, either you like math and logic or don't, this is an enjoyable film. I've watched it several times just to get a grip on it. Rating 9 out of 10. It would probably be an even greater flick if it was remade in color. The special effects could use some modern updating, but the story alone makes the film worth watching over and over again.

Mark

Cyrus
05-22-2003, 11:28 PM
I think the movie would lose a bit (its color?) if it was to be colorised. Haven't seen it for ages, though! I remember being impressed that the future city was simply mundane Paris, shot moodily but very effectively. And the protagonist, an ex-pat American Eddie Constantine, was just perfect. Granite face, straight out of B-movie pulp, actually playing private dick Lemmy Caution elsewhere. The director, Godard, was of course, and despite being an unreconstructed Marxist, extremely fond of American culture, a huge fan of Hawks, Ford, et al, both as a director and as a film critic.

Thanks for inciting me to order that title. And do give a chance to Bande a part.

John Cole
05-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Mark,

I saw this many years ago, but I enjoyed it. I think the B&W certainly fits the futuristic film noir elements of the film, and the movie just wouldn't be the same in color.

By the way, our plucky librarian (or whatever the hell we call "librarians" these days) has begun to accumulate a nice collection of DVDs. I've got The Wages of Fear, Andrei Rubelov, and The insider at home now.

John

Mark Heide
05-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Cyrus,

I agree with you! I'd never colorize a film. What I was suggesting is for Hollywood to remake the film by keeping the plot essentially the same, making it in English, and updating the technology and fashion to appeal to today's audience. I believe that changing from black and white to color requires a different technique, because colorizing is just a gimmick without rethinking how to present the effect with color.

Mark

Mark Heide
05-23-2003, 01:17 PM
John,

I think it's time that you post some reviews of these movies.

Mark