PDA

View Full Version : Terror threats in NYC ....It has to stop

arod15
10-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I am really getting tired of all these "bomb threats" in NYC. It feels as if there is one weekly. It's sad but it almost like the little boy who cried wolf story. Its gotten to the point where people here almost disregard the warning. If we took every threat serious, there would be no life but at the same time its not good to disregard every threat. Personally, I feel safe when there is a threat, I believe if there is going to be another attack it would come when we least expect it. I do expect one to come at some point which is scary, but I wish I didn’t have to go to work everyday worrying when is it going to happen. I don’t know what the point of this thread was other than to share my frustrations and see if others from the area feel similarly.

IndieMatty
10-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I feel the same way. As soon as there is a threat I feel safer; but I can't stand people worrying about it.

diebitter
10-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Wow - I wasn't aware that they were so frequent (I'm in the UK). We do get frequent London ones, but Londoners just ignore it pretty much completely.

Not much can be done, though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

stigmata
10-07-2005, 10:03 AM
London was like that in the eighties, it's a pain, all the disruption etc.

arod15
10-07-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow - I wasn't aware that they were so frequent (I'm in the UK). We do get frequent London ones, but Londoners just ignore it pretty much completely.

Not much can be done, though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Dont you think this is a bad thing? we completly ignore them to, i feel as if that is bad. But really what can you do?

diebitter
10-07-2005, 10:13 AM
No, I feel ignoring them is the best thing to do (unless you are directed by the authorities of course). Part of terrorism is to disrupt, so you continue as best you can through threats, you lessen its impact.

Isn't this for politics really?

theweatherman
10-07-2005, 10:15 AM
The government issues these warnings in order to regain support for their agenda. Whenever there is a lull in the war or a sticky domestic issue a new "terrorist" threat is announced. The worst part is all the moeny and resources wasted whenever the government does this stuff.

And what about that brag list of terroist plots weve busted in the past 2 years. What a load of bull.

canis582
10-07-2005, 10:18 AM
The networks are covering that propaganda speech like it was actual news.

GWB's approval rating just slipped to 37 percent. That is Warren Harding territory.

arod15
10-07-2005, 10:18 AM
I dont know anymore. All i know is i had my laptop bag checked once. IMO that is one time too many. It shouldnt be like this. Not that im agaisnt security but its almost an invasion of our rights because others threaten us. Not wanting to delve into politics too much, but i definitly feel as if the Patriot act was over the top and has definitly taken away from certain liberties. The admin definitley has taken advantage of the opportunity to deal with other issues and our liberties are slowly but surely being taken away. But i guess this is normal, civil liberties always are at their weakest when the country is in some sort of dangerous environment. To answer your question, i dont know.

IndieMatty
10-07-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know anymore. All i know is i had my laptop bag checked once. IMO that is one time too many. It shouldnt be like this. Not that im agaisnt security but its almost an invasion of our rights because others threaten us. Not wanting to delve into politics too much, but i definitly feel as if the Patriot act was over the top and has definitly taken away from certain liberties. The admin definitley has taken advantage of the opportunity to deal with other issues and our liberties are slowly but surely being taken away. But i guess this is normal, civil liberties always are at their weakest when the country is in some sort of dangerous environment. To answer your question, i dont know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right. My drug dealer has to take a cab.

jb9
10-07-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow - I wasn't aware that they were so frequent

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither was I -- and I live in NYC.

Still, there are more than enough. And they are frustrating...

danzasmack
10-07-2005, 10:26 AM
did anyone catch the prank call on fox 5 yesterday? They thought they were getting inside info on the terror threats. the caller came on the line and said "we have confirmed it was all a hoax. what they thought was a bomb was actually Howard Stern's ballsack"

it was weird because you couldn't really here so he had to repeat himself. the 2nd or 3rd they realized it was a prank call.

But as far the terror thing goes, i transferred to the Q train from the W at union square. as i went to get on, i noticed everyone getting off. there was an mta worker there wil a walkie talkie and i guess it freaked everyone out. The subway left and i am now safe at work.

BottlesOf
10-07-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't agree. When was the last time there was a specific threat to the NYC subways? I think I remember one, but that was a few months ago. It seems they had more specificity this time (subway system, using a baby carriage to conceal a bomb). I want to know when [censored] like this is happening. I'm not ignoring the wolf cries, yet.

I did notice a significantly beefed up police presence in the subway today.

10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
This sucks. I'm a life long NYer, somehow I'd like to trade all this terrorism paranoia for some pre -Giuliani crime like muggings and car theft.

Bluffoon
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I was walking through Penn Station NYC this morning and the police were cordoning off an large area and now there are news reports about cops walking around in hazmat suits and [censored]. Oh Well So far I feel fine....

arod15
10-07-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This sucks. I'm a life long NYer, somehow I'd like to trade all this terrorism paranoia for some pre -Giuliani crime like muggings and car theft.

[/ QUOTE ]
I miss Giuliani, he should be mayor again.

TheTROLL
Yup, you've got to ignore it, there's no other option apart from living in a field. Last one in London was 12 minutes ago:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/service_realtime_all.shtml
Victoria line
The Victoria Line has no service between Seven Sisters Station and Walthamstow Central Station in both directions.
This will affect journeys from 15:33 on 07/10/05 until further notice.
This is due to a security alert at Walthamstow Central Station.

Message Received: 7/10/2005 3:33:37 PM

Roads cordoned off, tube security alerts, buildings evacuated yadda yadda yadda... Carry on regardless.

BottlesOf
Hmmn, I'm not sure I would, as those actually happened regularly.

Bluffoon
10-07-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I miss Giuliani, he should be mayor again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear he is considring running for Prez

arod15
10-07-2005, 10:51 AM
That would be interesting.....

10-07-2005, 10:53 AM
This may be moved to the Politics forum any second . . . but I think Rudy Giuliani would be the ideal Homeland Security chief.

sfer
10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree. When was the last time there was a specific threat to the NYC subways? I think I remember one, but that was a few months ago. It seems they had more specificity this time (subway system, using a baby carriage to conceal a bomb). I want to know when [censored] like this is happening. I'm not ignoring the wolf cries, yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree entirely with Tha' JBB. Further, you don't think it's the responsibility of the Mayor and Police Department to let people know when they believe parts of the city are at risk?

arod15
10-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I do believe it is their role to tell us, i'm not saying there is a better way, Just saying i wish it could go back to the old days.....