PDA

View Full Version : Asian Fugitive

peterchi
10-07-2005, 09:42 AM
So, yesterday I found out through the mail that there is currently a warrant out for my arrest in the state of New Jersey.

...what crime did I commit?

Well, a couple of months ago I was at a Beach Ultimate tournament in Wildwood. On one of the nights a friend and I went out for a walk on the boardwalk, tossing a frisbee as we walked and chatted. A couple of cops passed by us and told us to stop. Being drunk, we did, until we couldn't see them anymore, and then resumed. But apparently they could still see us, because they caught up to us and wrote us tickets.

Being the stubborn dumbass that I am, and thinking that I could get away with it since I don't live in New Jersey, I chose to completely ignore this ticket. Hence I subsequently received a letter informing me of the warrant.

The letter said that I would have to show up to the Wildwood police department and post bail ($258) and then I would be informed of my court date.

1) How [censored] lame is it that they put out a warrant for my arrest for throwing a mother-[censored] frisbee on the mother-[censored] boardwalk??

2) I'm trying to figure out if I can handle this without actually showing up to court. I'll gladly pay any fine at this point by sending a check in the mail, but I really can't take a day off of work to go to New Jersey. Any thoughts on this?

3) SISCKM?

I've also started talking to my sister about this; she has a law degree and actually, New Jersey is in her jurisdiction. I knew I wouldn't regret driving her to her NJ bar exam /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
10-07-2005, 09:43 AM
http://www.lil-fingers.com/coloring/images/sw-run.gif

samjjones
10-07-2005, 09:45 AM
http://goldenscore.free.fr/images/fugitive.jpg

daryn
10-07-2005, 09:51 AM
come on dude, this is super weak. your pic adds nothing. now if you were to have photoshopped an asian guy's face over harrison ford's, you would have accomplished something.

OOT 101

peterchi
10-07-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
now if you were to have photoshopped an asian guy's face over harrison ford's, you would have accomplished something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's kind of exactly what I was hoping for in writing this post

sleepyjoeyt
10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
There's a warrant out for my arrest in NJ as well.

I was told the same thing - no way to just pay it, I need to go post bond and attend a court date. I never did.

6 years later nothing has happened, yet.

peterchi
10-07-2005, 10:16 AM
And you're an attorney?

Has anything gone on your record? (I'm guessing you could find out through lexis or something? I don't really know...)

sleepyjoeyt
10-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Not that I know of. No one has ever asked me about it.

However, if I ever got caught in New Jersey for anything (speeding, whatever) I imagine I'd have to address the whole thing. Probably be arrested. Have to post the bail, and then have to attend the court date.

Other than that I'm not too worried about it - although I'm not planning on going to New Jersey anytime soon.

If the thought of having this hanging over your head is bothersome than I suggest you just bite the bullet and address it. Bring a friend with you, and make sure that person has enough cash to post bail for you.

Then attend the court date, admit to what happened and say that not paying was a mistake on your part, and then do what they say.

I'm pretty confident that they just want their money, plus whatever additional charges they'll thrown on top (court time, etc.)

miajag81
10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I didn't throw that frisbee!"

"I don't care!"

[jumps]

peterchi
10-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif my sister

------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Fri 10/7/2005 11:15 AM
To: Peter B. Chi
Subject: Re: call the cops

ok i got the warrant recalled (i.e. it doesn't exist anymore)

apparently there have been three notices sent out to you, did you know this?

you have until october 26 to pay $233 to the address at the top of the ticket (4400 new jersey ave, etc.). make sure you write the complaint number somewhere along with the payment. i'd advise NOT to send in the ticket with the payment. a note is fine (with the complain number), just don't send in the ticket.

the person i talked to muttered something about court appearance but at the end i asked if payment would suffice and she said yes.

samjjones
10-07-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
come on dude, this is super weak. your pic adds nothing. now if you were to have photoshopped an asian guy's face over harrison ford's, you would have accomplished something.

OOT 101

[/ QUOTE ]
I had considered this, but the prospects of doing this at work were -EV overall. It would have been a rush job, not commensurate with my previous graphic offerings. My bad.

M2d
10-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Dude,
you're asian. didn't you try to pull off the "ching chang no speekee engrish" thing? all the poachers pull that crap with the game wardens here in california.
alternatively, send some other asian guy there in your place. then, when he gets ID'd by the cop, have him bust out his ID proving that he's not you. maybe that'll put in a shadow of a doubt. we all look alike anyway, so there's a chance it will work.

peterchi
10-07-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,
you're asian. didn't you try to pull off the "ching chang no speekee engrish" thing? all the poachers pull that crap with the game wardens here in california.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought about that. However, one of the cops was Asian. And actually, they called for backup (!!) so there were 6 cops huddled around us at one point (OMGWTFLOL) and one of them said to the Asian cop, "What's going on, you're busting one of your own" and I said "I know right?" and I also said "Um I don't mean to be smart, but um, there's 6 of you here right now, what are you doing?" After that I figured I had said enough.

[ QUOTE ]

alternatively, send some other asian guy there in your place. then, when he gets ID'd by the cop, have him bust out his ID proving that he's not you. maybe that'll put in a shadow of a doubt. we all look alike anyway, so there's a chance it will work.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought about that too. I think it sounds better in theory than practice though. No need to [censored] myself over twice.

samjjones
10-07-2005, 12:21 PM
They needed backup because you are Asian, and obviously know martial arts. Duh.

sfer
10-07-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this on long plane rides when I didn't feel like talking to the person next to me.

miajag81
10-07-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this on long plane rides when I didn't feel like talking to the person next to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I do a pretty good deaf guy imitation, and have used it on multiple occasions when I didn't want to talk to some stranger who decided to strike up a conversation.

Los Feliz Slim
10-07-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also said "Um I don't mean to be smart"

[/ QUOTE ]

True, you did not choose to be Asian...

M2d
10-07-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dude,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the airport terminal once and saw a rice-patty fever guy hitting on a bunch of asian chicks. when I found out I was seated next to him, I was about to pull the no speekee thing when he busted out in some chinese (probably asking me if I speak-I don't). already pissed off (two unfortunate river cards in a 20-40 um, canasta game just as I was leaving assured this) I just looked at him and said (in my best redneck twang) "that's [censored] pathetic, white boy". after an uncomfortable silence for a second or two, he turned away and I settled in for a quiet flight back to the bay area.

mmbt0ne
10-07-2005, 12:32 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Dude,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I do a pretty good deaf guy imitation, and have used it on multiple occasions when I didn't want to talk to some stranger who decided to strike up a conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, me too! Only I actually am deaf. I also usually sit down, immediately put the iPod on, and just let it go.

M2d
10-07-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, me too! Only I actually am deaf. I also usually sit down, immediately put the iPod on, and just let it go.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/confused.gif

mmbt0ne
10-07-2005, 12:38 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 1 ear.

B Dids
10-07-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I co-sign this /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I find headphones + book keeps people from wanting to bother me. That and the fact that they've lost the "fat guy on a plane" lottery.

LeatherFace
10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
what happened?

offTopic
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find pink sunglasses + crown keeps people from wanting to bother me. That and the fact that they've lost the "fat guy on a plane" lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

sfer
10-07-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find headphones + book keeps people from wanting to bother me. That and the fact that they've lost the "fat guy on a plane" lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of months ago I was on the subway with my headphones in and reading. A guy started motioning to me. I looked at him, pulled out a headphone, and said, "Excuse me?" He asked me if I knew martial arts.

mmbt0ne
10-07-2005, 12:43 PM
what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

What Is a Cholesteatoma?

A cholesteatoma is a skin growth that occurs in an abnormal location, the middle ear behind the eardrum. It is usually due to repeated infection, which causes an ingrowth of the skin of the eardrum. Cholesteatomas often take the form of a cyst or pouch that sheds layers of old skin that builds up inside the ear. Over time, the cholesteatoma can increase in size and destroy the surrounding delicate bones of the middle ear. Hearing loss, dizziness, and facial muscle paralysis are rare but can result from continued cholesteatoma growth.

(Luckily I've only get the first 2 of those 3)

Is It Dangerous?

Ear cholesteatomas can be dangerous and should never be ignored. Bone erosion can cause the infection to spread into the surrounding areas, including the inner ear and brain. If untreated, deafness, brain abscess, meningitis, and rarely death can occur.

Boris
10-07-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm curious how being asian has anything to do with the story.

M2d
10-07-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I co-sign this

I find pink sunglasses + crown keeps people from wanting to bother me. That and the fact that they've lost the "fat guy on a plane" lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]
on flghts to and from the bay area, that's an invitation.

M2d
10-07-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
the man is trying to keep the yellow brothers down!!

HopeydaFish
10-07-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was told the same thing - no way to just pay it, I need to go post bond and attend a court date. I never did.

[/ QUOTE ]

This works great if you don't ever want to visit New Jersey again. Thankfully, most people do not want to visit New Jersey without there being a very good reason to do so.

It's an easy state to avoid.

samjjones
10-07-2005, 02:29 PM
But its a great state if you don't want to pump your own gas.

sfer
10-07-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect a white guy to say that.

dcasper70
10-07-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

OOT 101

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, no [censored] dude...
all of 30 seconds...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dcasper70/fugitive.jpg

TheMainEvent
10-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Jersey Shore cops are among the worst in the nation

brassnuts
10-07-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OOT 101

[/ QUOTE ]
I had considered this, but the prospects of doing this at work were -EV overall. It would have been a rush job, not commensurate with my previous graphic offerings. My bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that's just some rationalization BS. It took me literally three minutes to do this. It's not even funny, but it's at least an effort.
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/4206/fugitive9ih.jpg

peterchi
10-07-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This works great if you don't ever want to visit New Jersey again. Thankfully, most people do not want to visit New Jersey without there being a very good reason to do so.

It's an easy state to avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]
I mostly agree with this, except for two things:
1) I do enjoy Atlantic City sometimes
2) NYC is on the other side of the NJ Turnpike for me.

Boris
10-07-2005, 05:16 PM
lol. good one.

youtalkfunny
10-08-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I didn't throw that frisbee!"

"I don't care!"

[jumps]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

How about, "I want to search every boardwalk, sidewalk, cakewalk, catwalk, steel wok, jabberwok..."

Ulysses
10-08-2005, 03:40 AM
I was wondering how on earth the two of you in this thread ended up with the same "asian" pic to put on the poster. So, I went to Google Image search and typed in "asian." I guess if that's what you guys used, you have SafeSearch on.

siccjay
10-08-2005, 07:22 AM
El D, it's from his avatar.