PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for me to play on the 4 hr bus ride to New York?

Mizzles
10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Is there such a thing as remote internet access that I can use on my laptop from anywhere? If so, is the connection choppy like a cell phone? Does this thing exist?

Thanks

10-07-2005, 08:57 AM
1) You need a verizon wireless card for your laptop. 100-200 dollars for the card. 60-80 dollars/month for the service.
OR
2) If your cell phone has a data port, get a mobile offce kit. (Data cable, Software[CD]) This is mush slower than the card & will count towards your minutes on your plan during peak hours.

tomtemor
10-07-2005, 08:57 AM
It does exist but I'm too stupid to explain so I'll let someone else handle that. I think you can get a decent connection considering it's in the areas of New york.

MaxPower
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
The problem with using a cell phone is that the data mode will not work when you are roaming (at least this is how it works with Sprint). He will probably be roaming for some of the bus ride.

danzasmack
10-07-2005, 10:06 AM
my brother takes a bus fron boston to ny and it has wireless internet on it. the connection is great and he often adds that people are playing online poker while on the bus.

It's called a "luxury bus" but it's not like very expensive or anything.

Hornacek
10-07-2005, 10:23 AM
LimoLiner... $69 one way... interesting...

10-07-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with using a cell phone is that the data mode will not work when you are roaming (at least this is how it works with Sprint). He will probably be roaming for some of the bus ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done 100 mile trips with the cell before with no problems. I do have Verizon though. I do not have nationwide unlimited plan or anything like that, so I was roaming. I noticed that if I initiated the connection near my house, and played for a few hours (150 miles or so), I didn't get roaming charges. This was over a year ago so it may have changed.

Mizzles
10-07-2005, 11:13 AM
I imagine the verizon wireless internet card would be very choppy, as I have verizon wireless cellular and when talking on that bus ride I get disconnected very often. Can anyone who's used this vouch for the reliability? Is it the same, worse, or better than your typical cell phone connection?

LimoLiner is pimp but it's only from Boston to NY. I've looked around a bit and can't find a bus service that offers the same from Washington DC to NY.

Anyone know of any bus or transportation service from DC to NY which offers an internet connection?

10-07-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I imagine the verizon wireless internet card would be very choppy, as I have verizon wireless cellular and when talking on that bus ride I get disconnected very often. Can anyone who's used this vouch for the reliability? Is it the same, worse, or better than your typical cell phone connection?

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that the laptop card is way better. I've also noticed that on long trips, the closer to a major highway you stay, the better your luck with disconnections. I have had diconnection trouble before, but it's never lasted more than 10 min. ( NY, Penn, Canada area)

MicroBob
10-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I got the Verizon wireless card about a month ago and it works great (after initially having many headaches because I had a defective card).
I haven't traveled with it yet though.

Tdarko travels a lot and has a Cingular card.
He says that his connection for playing online-poker while travelling is fine unless he's going through some middle-of-nowhere backwoods area.

As long as you near a highway in a major area you should be getting the digital-cellular signal so there shouldn't be roaming.

There is so much cell-traffic in the densely populated areas of the northeast though that I wonder if that makes a difference.

With the verizon card:
In the major cities you are getting broadband access.

In the smaller/medium-sized cities and on the highways for much of the U.S. you are getting 'national access' which is digital-cellular and is typically about 2x the speed of dial-up line (which is PLENTY for online-poker).

In the middle-of-nowhere USA you are either roaming or not getting a signal at all.

iceman5
10-07-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got the Verizon wireless card about a month ago and it works great (after initially having many headaches because I had a defective card).
I haven't traveled with it yet though.

Tdarko travels a lot and has a Cingular card.
He says that his connection for playing online-poker while travelling is fine unless he's going through some middle-of-nowhere backwoods area.

As long as you near a highway in a major area you should be getting the digital-cellular signal so there shouldn't be roaming.

There is so much cell-traffic in the densely populated areas of the northeast though that I wonder if that makes a difference.

With the verizon card:
In the major cities you are getting broadband access.

In the smaller/medium-sized cities and on the highways for much of the U.S. you are getting 'national access' which is digital-cellular and is typically about 2x the speed of dial-up line (which is PLENTY for online-poker).

In the middle-of-nowhere USA you are either roaming or not getting a signal at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder about the Verizon card. Ive had a T-Mobile card for several months now. I pay $30/month and its only dialup speed.

When I was looking into it, the verizon service was $80/month and I think its $60 now. Its suppossed to be broadband, but we have a laptop here at work that has a verizon card.

I can sit that laptop and mine side by side and search for something on google and let them race and they are almost exactly the same speed. Im in downtown of a major city.

Are you sure Verizon is broadband in major cities? I was thinking abotu switching until I saw it wasnt any faster than my T-Mobile.

By the way...mine works fine for poker.

MicroBob
10-07-2005, 05:42 PM
I haven't been to any major city to try the Broadband out.
they don't have the broadband access in Memphis yet (but the phone-rep cheerfully informed me that broadband was coming to Mashville soon....Great!!! It's only 3 hours away!!)

I do know that some of the older-model cards for the verizon plan didn't have broadband.
So perhaps you don't have an updated card??

Or perhaps your other computer is picking up a Wi-Fi signal nearby and you weren't aware of it.
this will happen with my computer sometimes.
I'll get bursts of awesome speed because the wind blows some faint Wi-Fi signal my direction. If I didn't notice it in the little Verizon-access box I would only think 'gee....my speed is pretty good today'

I really don't know what is with your situation.
And can't provide details regarding the broadband speed in major cities since I haven't been to one yet.
I'm travelling at end of Oct so can report back to you then.

VinnyTheFish
10-11-2005, 02:36 PM
For those with this card - Do you have a network at home and does it work in the natwork? Is there an adapter or card for Desk top computers?

I have 2 laptops, one PC and a printer. (*I do not care about the printer, and the network is not that important - but having internet on all 3 is.*)I use one laptop for poker tracker only. Just wondering if I could keep this going?

Bosox
10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I've seriously thought of buying a boat and sailing the caribbean or mediterranean whilst playing poker and living well. Possible?

IggyWH
10-11-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got the Verizon wireless card about a month ago and it works great

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there a deal recently for a very reduced price on a card if you signed a contract for service with them?

I don't have a laptop, but if I did, I think I'd have to get that Verizon service. I have gone the Moble Office way before and not only is it incredibly slow most of the time, but Verizon keeps jumping back & forth on whether they make you pay extra for it or not.

Not quite sure where they're at now, but I got screwed pretty hardcore from them changing the fees a couple times on me.

IggyWH
10-11-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seriously thought of buying a boat and sailing the caribbean or mediterranean whilst playing poker and living well. Possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can get service, then yes. Call up some of the bigger companies and ask how far their data network covers. If I had to take a blind stab though I'd say no for the simple fact that a good chunk of the US is still unavailable.

MicroBob
10-11-2005, 05:34 PM
The Verizon-card (or other types of U.S. cards wouldn't work for this).

but if you were willing to pay enough I think there might be some kinds of satellite cards out there where you could access the internet from Antartica if you wanted to.

I really don't know how these work or if they exist or where to look to get them....but it's my hunch that you might be able to do the Mediteranean thing successfully.

jiwire.com has a few articles about various wireless services and might be the place to start searching.
Either that or go to intel-centrino page or just google satellite-wireless-internet or something like that.

If anyone knows more specifically where to learn about stuff like this feel free to chime-in.

Guthrie
10-12-2005, 12:26 AM
There are these great new inventions called books. Try one. Great for bus rides.

tonypaladino
10-12-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you can use sattalite internet access from almost anywhere, but I know it's fairly slow (faster than dialup though) and I would guess it's expensive. (If anyone still offers it)