PDA

View Full Version : Standard or Spewey? QQ with K on board

bnorthro
10-07-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm playing a lot of 6max this month (1/2) and trying to improve my game while grinding through the Multipoker bonus.

This was on my first orbit at the table, so I didn't have any reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG folds.

River: (11.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

No reason to give anyone credit for a K, I'm raising with lots of hands that don't have K's from UTG. Button calling 3 cold, then 2 cold has me a little worried, but he could be a donk so....
I think the river check was kind of weak, but maybe not. A really weak K from a calling station probably would have stuck around to the river fearing AK or something, but when the second K hit, I didn't want to get raised. I was planning on calling a bet - figuring a weak pair may have put me on something like AQ and bet the river. But as I saw it I probably couldn't call a raise, and I gained 1 BB when ahead.

This pretty standard?
Thanks.

....and yeah, I know, you puked from my Avatar

brazilio
10-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't see why you wouldn't bet the river, that's an excellent card for you. But, I really don't think anything other than a K is going to raise you and there are tons of pocket pairs that'll call and probably won't bet. I think you're missing value against A high that'll call this, though.

If you think something like a busted heart draw will bet that river but wouldn't call a bet, then I can see it.

ArturiusX
10-07-2005, 09:34 AM
uhh, the second K is a good card for you.

Bet the river.

bnorthro
10-07-2005, 10:03 AM
I felt that two things would happen if I bet the river - A) Villian has a weak king and I get raised, or B) Villian doesn't have a K and he folds, figuring I just got trips. If I checked, it gave him the option of betting a busted flush draw, or maybe a smaller pocket pair. So I thought if I bet, I'm either losing 1 BB, or gaining 0, whereas a check may gain me an extra BB, or lose 1 if he's got a K.

If I had reads that indicated this guy loved to coldcall with pocket pairs and he always paid off, or would get aggressive with top pair, etc, I'd probably play differently. Against an unkown I thought this was a little on the safe side, maybe weak though.

10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Don't forget that the villain cold-called a preflop 3-bet from the button. This gives us some indication that he probably sucks. What kind of hands would a player do this with? Even a very bad player would not do this with many hands--probably only aces with strong kickers and pocket pairs, both of which you have beat, and both of which are calling a river bet.

brazilio
10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that the villain cold-called a preflop 3-bet from the button. This gives us some indication that he probably sucks. What kind of hands would a player do this with? Even a very bad player would not do this with many hands--probably only aces with strong kickers and pocket pairs, both of which you have beat, and both of which are calling a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your range is way too narrow. Way way too narrow.

bnorthro
10-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks, all good comments. Next time I value bet!

I think a donk would call 3 cold and 2 cold with suited face cards too - like Arags, Krags, Qrags, etc. Along with Pocket Pairs, maybe connected face cards (depending on how bad the donk is), maybe suited connectors.

For what it's worth, Poker Ace showed me he had 33.

10-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, it probably is. I guess if the player is cold calling a 3-bet then he is probably bad enough to do it with just about anything. Especially at 1/2...

krimson
10-07-2005, 10:20 AM
People will be looking to showdown a lot of hands that you have beat in 6-max. Value bet the river.