PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Safety

Klompy
10-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi, I just won a bid on a 9300 on ebay and am worried about fraud. I guess I was just wondering how safe it is to use paypal for such a purchase, and If I did get the laptop and it wasn't what was described, how easy it would be to get my money back? Is I really worth it to pay for an escrow service? Thanks ahead for any replies

TheTROLL
10-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Auction URL?

Klompy
10-07-2005, 08:49 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6808479042&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Originaly he didn't have a paypal account set up, but now he does, just trying to figure out my safest option. Mainly worried because he doesn't have a rating

TheTROLL
10-07-2005, 08:58 AM
I don't like the look of this one bit. I'd definitely pay for an escrow service - you've still saved hundreds of dollars if it's kosher, and you'll save an assload more if it's not.

Klompy
10-07-2005, 09:09 AM
kind of what I was thinking....I don't know a lot about computers, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good deal if it all works out

MyMindIsGoing
10-07-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good deal if it all works out

[/ QUOTE ]

IF it works out. I would never buy expencive stuff like that from anyone that was registred that short of time and had that low rating. My personal "rules" when I buy something on ebay: the person I buy from should have a rating higher than the amount you will pay for it, in dollars. And atleast 99% pos feedback. It is also a big plus if they were regged on ebay atleast a year.

kenberman
10-07-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the look of this one bit. I'd definitely pay for an escrow service - you've still saved hundreds of dollars if it's kosher, and you'll save an assload more if it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this guys looks shady.

"Please check our other auctions for more details. Great Deals."

what other auctions? this guy only has 1 piece of feedback, and THAT guy is no longer an Ebay user. I'm pretty liberal with who I trust, but alarm bells are going off on this one.

Klompy
10-07-2005, 10:32 AM
so you recomend just telling this guy I dont want it anymore?

TheTROLL
10-07-2005, 10:36 AM
You can't do that, you've bought it.

Either arrange to use an escrow service, or if you know someone near him who can collect it and check it out, do that. If he has a problem with either of those suggestions, you're well within your rights to walk away.

MyMindIsGoing
10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Or hope that soneone outbids you in case you are the current winner.

*edit:* Didn't check the date but if the auction is finished it's a pain not to buy it.

10-07-2005, 04:55 PM
I have to agree with the other posters that you need to take some extra precautions with this one. I've been using eBay for 8+ years and have learned the hard way that you really need to be wary of new users with no feedback (particularly for high end electronics). At least the seller is in the US. If this was international all the sirens and warning lights would be going off. Can anyone answer if there is any additional "warm, fuzzy" that you can get by paying with a Postal MO? I only deal with PayPal so I'm not sure what assurances this would provide.

MowrMowr
10-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Ask him to take a picture of it with a nickel or something so you can tell he really took it. If he refuses / makes up an excuse, tell him you're not going to pay until you're sure he has the merchandise. And DON'T pay unless you feel secure...at worst you'll get 1 negative feedback...the worst case if you do pay is you're out more than $1000.

TheTROLL
10-08-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ask him to take a picture of it with a nickel or something so you can tell he really has a copy of Photoshop

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus.

Klompy
10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I sent the seller several emails consisting of how I wasn't comfortable sending him a check and I wanted to pay with an escrow services and then today I get this email back

Dear Mat:
It looks like you are not serious regurding this matter and the only other option is for me to relist my item, you were lucky cause i didnt have a paypal account and thats why i didnt get too many bids.
I have got the payment for the other laptop and sent it out today, the auction has closed at 1890$.
i will relist item today and if you dont want me to report item as unpaid then you should agree to paypal me my seller fees and listing fees. other wise i have to request my FVF.
Thanks for your attention.

If I made an effort to try and pay this man through escrow but he never emailed me back about it and then I get this email.....Does it just scream SCAM?
Also, am I liable to pay his fees if I really did try and pay the guy

TheTROLL
10-09-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does it just scream SCAM?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Walk away. I see your account is new too, so don't worry about negative feedback from him - you can just start a new account.

If he comes after you for his listing fee, you should probably pay up and put it down to tuition costs. And don't bid on obvious scams in future!