PDA

View Full Version : THE NATIONAL/CLAP YOUR HANDS trip report

private joker
10-07-2005, 03:31 AM
Were any other 2+2ers at the Troubadour tonight? Wow, good stuff.

The first band was something like Richard Swift and they played crappy piano-rock. I hate hard-"rockin'" piano stuff that sounds like Elton John meets Billy Joel meets Blues Brothers. Shut up in my opinion.

Then came CYHSY and they basically just stood there and played a bunch of songs by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. No lame inter-song banter, no frills. They just rocked out their album and it was fine. They closed with their best song, "Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood." I was impressed and satisfied.

But then the real band took the stage. The National. Holy crap. They were amazing. All six of them were totally focused and raging -- this fiddler who looks like a young David Morse was just going to town on his violin and the percussionist was driving the whole thing. The lead singer, who is one of the best lyricists working in indie rock today, had some mic problems but fronted a hell of a set. The highlight of the entire night was their performance of "Mr. November," an absolutely exhilarating rock screamer that included an eye-popping moment in the chorus when the huge white flood lights rammed on and the band blew the doors off. Women swooned. After the song, the singer did a tiny applause and said, "This is for President Kerry."

The older, non-Alligator songs they did were pretty great, especially the closer they performed just before the encore. It was a haunting breakup ballad driven by quiet strings that built into a whipped swirli-gig of feedback-drenched guitars and slamming drum mallets. The crowd was blown away.

Nobody should miss this tour.

jgorham
10-07-2005, 03:34 AM
I was there too, but am still disappointed CYHSY didn't play Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away. Hopefully they will tomorrow.

private joker
10-07-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was there too, but am still disappointed CYHSY didn't play Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away. Hopefully they will tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sucks, we shoulda met up.

jgorham
10-07-2005, 03:37 AM
You going to see Architecture in Helsinki next Sunday? I love that venue btw.

private joker
10-07-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You going to see Architecture in Helsinki next Sunday? I love that venue btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

No plans to see AiH. The Troubadour is definitely the place to see bands. I've been there too many times to count; so many good shows. I saw The Go! Team there, Catherine Wheel, The Shins, Spoon, Citizen Bird/Cato Salsa Experience/Soundtrack of our Lives... man I can't even remember all the great shows over the past 7 years. It's small enough to be intimate, big enough to have a good sound system, and usually has a good crowd.

Ulysses
10-07-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Go! Team

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you think of them live? They are rolling through SF again in a couple of weeks and I need to decide...

private joker
10-07-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Go! Team

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you think of them live? They are rolling through SF again in a couple of weeks and I need to decide...

[/ QUOTE ]

Phenomenal. I loved it. It felt like more of a party than a concert; everyone having a good time, the band just going nuts -- and the girl who sort of fronts them was a great leader. My only issue was that the loops were a bit too quiet, but that could have been because of where I was standing in the venue. Minor complaint -- it was one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time.

jgorham
10-07-2005, 04:25 AM
I second this recommendation (was at that one too). At first it is a little weird seeing them with a frontwoman, but they put on a great show. The harmonica and recorder were a tad weak that night I thought, but that is probably just the acoustics of the venue.

The Glove
10-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the report. It's nice to hear that someone else is in love with The National. I'm going to see them this Sat. in the only venue in sh1tty Phoenix, AZ. that I actually like.

I think the closing ballad you were describing is 'American Mary'-- one of my faves.

GP

private joker
10-07-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think the closing ballad you were describing is 'American Mary'-- one of my faves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably -- does it have a line that goes something like "How much longer can we do this?"

Also, great avatar.

bwana devil
10-07-2005, 04:02 PM
nice. i will see them tuesday thanks to sfer's heads up notice here.

bwana

private joker
10-07-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't sfer walk out after the opening band? I mean, Clap Your Hands is good and all, but... folding this concert on the turn is horrible.

private joker
10-12-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, bwana, time for a report on last night's show...

IndieMatty
10-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I just want to say, I was having a discussion with a bunch of music kids on friday night and they all said "The National" live is a must see.

Soul Daddy
10-12-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I just want to say, I was having a discussion with a bunch of music kids on friday night and they all said "The National" live is a must see.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you missed out. It is an incredible act.

I thought it might be because the venue was so small and intimate that I was so fond of the show, but obviously not. It's just that good.

private joker
10-12-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's keep repeating stuff like this to rub it in sfer's face. I think this thread should get bumped every time he forgets he walked out on this show.