PDA

View Full Version : going on monkey tilt really really really sucks (lc)

yvesaint
10-07-2005, 01:25 AM
look whos moving back down to 200 NL to 4-table for the next month and grind grind grind

yea i lost what i got from my shot at 5/10 (and then some)

monkey tilt makes me raise raise raise, which is sometimes cool because i went broke on 3 tables and had a $2k stack at 400 NL at another, but i still ended up way down because monkey tilt doesnt stop

i need to take a break for the next few days ......... i dont think i can psychologically handle 20 buy-ins

/whine

amoeba
10-07-2005, 01:28 AM
you dropped 20 buyins?

what do you mean by not handling 20 buyins?

yvesaint
10-07-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you dropped 20 buyins?

what do you mean by not handling 20 buyins?

[/ QUOTE ]

no i dropped 2 buy-ins in 5/10 then proceeded to drop 3 in 2/4

and i cant handle 20 buy-ins meaning that when i get stacked at 2/4 with a 20 buy-in bankroll, it really really gets to me

but when i play with 40 buy-ins it doesnt seem as that big of a hit, so my game isnt affected as much

dibbs
10-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Sorry to hear it man. What sparked this, beats, sloppiness, burnout?

Good to hear you don't think moving down is unacceptable, best of luck.

yvesaint
10-07-2005, 01:45 AM
one beat leads to sloppiness leads to poor decisions

which in turn leads to pushing more

which in turn leads to getting stacked more

which in turn leads to more beats as im going to showdown more

i really gotta just bunker down and grind out some profit i can show for the long-term.

BobboFitos
10-07-2005, 01:49 AM
I completely know what you went through!

yvesaint
10-07-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sad thing is, this is actually my second time running through something like this. except this time i had my good run at 5/10 to 'pad' my monkey tilt.

BobboFitos
10-07-2005, 01:54 AM
i empathize with you because i went through the same.

10-07-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sad thing is, this is actually my second time running through something like this. except this time i had my good run at 5/10 to 'pad' my monkey tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet every millionaire poker player has gone through this far more than twice. How you deal with the adversity is what makes you a pro or not, IMO.

whittiphil
10-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Funny thing is, I thought I was immune to tilt, then I said goodbye to 7 buyins in one day and still wasn't sure it was tilt.

I go back and look at those days hands now, it was tilt like something horrible. My tilt is call, call, call. It's a bad tilt because you don't notice it so easily until you realise you've lost 7 buyins.

tommo
10-07-2005, 02:07 AM
don't know if it matters to you but the exact same thing just happened to me. Almost to the letter. I'm at those 200 nl tables playing with you right now.

Fortunately I'm running well at 200 nl and should be back at 400 by the end of the week. I hope the same happens to you!

10-07-2005, 02:32 AM
When making mistakes, it helps me to think about how much future EV I gain with what I learned from my mistakes.

It sounds like your future EV will improve now, since you will have a better idea when you are approaching tilt in the future, in a 'know thyself' kinda way

Voltron87
10-07-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet every millionaire poker player has gone through this far more than twice. How you deal with the adversity is what makes you a pro or not, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true

hang in there man, i know how you feel. trust me. keep a clear head and keep in mind that this is the hardest stuff to deal with.

dont worry about your ego, take a break until you have the right mindset and drop down in limits. dropping down in limits will reduce possible loss and should give you some confidence. ego has been a problem for me in the past, its really bad.

Salerosa
10-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Just out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking: what type of bankroll did you have to be taking a shot at the 5/10 game?

Riposte
10-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Sorry to hear it man. Learning this game has been really tough in my opinion, but not in the way most people think. I'm totally new, and understanding the fundamentals and basic correct play has been harder than I expected (I barely understand 25% of it all). But most difficult of all for me are the moments where you have to be brutally honest with yourself... it's even gotten to the point sometimes where I have to deal with depression setting in due to realizing I don't know as much about the game as I thought I did.

It can all be really psychologically and emotionally taxing. Maybe I'm just a pussy. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

yvesaint
10-07-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking: what type of bankroll did you have to be taking a shot at the 5/10 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

punter11235
10-07-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
look whos moving back down to 200 NL to 4-table for the next month and grind grind grind

[/ QUOTE ]

As I decided to do the same some time ago I can reccomend you 6tabling ( I discovered it few days ago and its not too hard). 200NL is just too easy after playing 400 - 600 and 1000NL and you can make 150$/hour there while 6tabling, so you can rebuild your bankroll fast.
I also think that this deicion is a wise one. I hope you will be disciplined enough no to make "another shot" too soon at 1000NL.
I think that a week or two should be enough to set you in good mood and bankroll to try 400NL again - it was enough for me after dropping 15xbuyins at 600NL (oh well.. good I had great run before this to cover it).

Best wishes !

subzero
10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
I feel your pain. 2+2ers say the recommended bankroll is 20 buy-ins or so. My psychological bankroll is more like 35+ buy-ins. I've gone through 2 such downswings in the last year. The first one devastated me (it took me 6 months to recover). The second one hurt, but I only lost about half as much. I was able to minimize tilt a little better the 2nd time.

Now when someone hits a three-outer on the river or busts my AA with JJ preflop, I just tell myself, "Decisions not outcomes." It's something Greg Raymer said. You can't control what cards fall, but you can control your decisions. All you can do is make the right choices. Everything else will take care of itself. Bad beats still hurt, but they don't bother me nearly as much as they used to.

yvesaint
10-08-2005, 03:23 AM
bored at 3 AM, look what i managed to do:

Stakes: 0.5/.10 Seats: 5/6 Limit: NL Av. Pot: $27

nothing like having an avg. pot almost 3x max buy-in

Malachii
10-08-2005, 03:33 AM
That's badass. Where'd you do that? I need to find a site with nano limits where I can dump a few buyins when I'm feeling like having some fun.

yvesaint
10-08-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's badass. Where'd you do that? I need to find a site with nano limits where I can dump a few buyins when I'm feeling like having some fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

prima

i was up to 100 at one point but now im back to 65

people are calling me with KJ, any Ace, etc.

ive tightened up just a bit and im actually making a profit /images/graemlins/tongue.gif