PDA

View Full Version : LAG Defence

10-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB ($117.45)
Hero ($197)
Button ($182.90)
SB ($132.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, Button calls $7, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Button seems crazy lag.

61/30/11 after 35 hands, although I don't really know what this means 4-handed. I sat down like 2 orbits ago, and can already tell he is very aggressive. Is KTo ok to raise in CO?

Flop: ($17) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet $12 quick he calls quick

Turn: ($41) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

I check quick, he thinks and bets $20. I call.

Doesn't feel like a K, seems way to passive for top pair. Looks like a 5, diamonds, or air.

River: ($81) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero checks, Button bets pot quick.

Who calls?

amoeba
10-07-2005, 12:50 AM
I call.

but I try not to raise preflop with KTo.

10-07-2005, 12:58 AM
What do you raise with then in CO?

amoeba
10-07-2005, 12:59 AM
big hands where I don't need to worry about kicker and hands that have a lot of implied value.

Kirkrrr
10-07-2005, 10:22 AM
River is tough, but I'd probably fold. It looks like you're up against a legitimate hand here, and will have to get him next time. If he's this aggressive every hand, "next time" is coming up extremely soon.

Kirk

10-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Maybe I'm thinking too hard, but I didn't think he would value bet a full pot bet on such a scary board with a 5 trying to get a call from my K

Kirkrrr
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Ummm... he doesn't have to have a 5 to beat you. That's the problem.

Mempho
10-07-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ummm... he doesn't have to have a 5 to beat you. That's the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me take a stab at this one since I often find myself in the villain's spot against a TAG opponent.

Well...we don't know how smart this particular lag is, but his stats indicate that he has gone overboard.

If he's smart, he's probably fairly certain by this point that you don't have a 5...he's also pretty certain that you don't have air after you called the turn. Now, if he's smart he won't bet unless he has a good k unless he has reason to believe that you are calling with a mid pair, which puts you in a tough spot since you certainly can't rule out a 5 or AK, KQ, KJ (AK being very unlikely since the LAG would have likely reraised). If he's dumb or tilted, he's more than likely pushing air.

How smart is he? What's his river aggression?

djoyce003
10-07-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I call.

but I try not to raise preflop with KTo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta raise any king 4 handed.

VarlosZ
10-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Checking the turn and river to a LAG here makes no sense if you're unwilling to pick off a bluff. I'd call, and expect to lose a little more than half the time.

Kyriefurro
10-07-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You gotta raise any king 4 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if I'd go quite THAT far heh, but KTo is definately a raise on a 4-handed table. You'll often win only the blinds, and if you do see the flop your continuation bet will usually take it down then and there.

Kyriefurro
10-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure I'd have wanted to give up control of the pot on the turn like this against a LAG. LAG's love to bluff (among other things) and will jump on any display of weekness, even when they have absolutely nothing.

The only card you're really afraid of is a 5, and there are only 2 left in the deck. And even if villain had one, being LAG he's most likely let you know on the flop. If villain has a K you're likely ahead - a LAG like this would raise KT+ preflop without thinking twice about it.

I'd fire again on the turn - $25 to $30 or so and go from there.

10-07-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How smart is he? What's his river aggression?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have river aggression available at the time.

In the way of smartness he seemed a typical LAG

Kirkrrr
10-07-2005, 08:35 PM
After Hero raised pre-flop, bet the flop, and CC'ed the turn, Villain (if he's at all thinking, which lets assume that he is to be on the safe side) knows that Hero has a decent K or an underpair - QQ/JJ/TT or some such. He's not pushing air. Also, him having "gone overboard" while playing 4-handed isn't necessarily true. He could just be very good playing short-handed. A "typical LAG" at a short-handed table is about the worst opponenet you want to be playing against unless you're also very good at playing short-handed.

Kirk