PDA

View Full Version : Small Flush, Paired Board, Dry Side Pot: NL $400

Big_Jim
10-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Shorty has been playing pretty bad, he has been calling pot sized bets with draws, and has recently had some bad luck with that. Overall a pretty passive, loose player.

Villian has been playing well, winning a few big pots with premium hands. He has mixed up his starting standards a bit, throughout. He has been playing fairly aggressive, and has won some fairly big pots without showdown.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($378.70)
Button ($312.20)
Hero ($829.65)
BB <font color="#A500AF">(Shorty)</font> ($203.60)
UTG <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> ($621.85)
MP ($272.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> raises to $14</font>, MP calls $14, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) calls $12, BB <font color="#A500AF">(Shorty)</font> calls $10.

Flop: ($56) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, Shorty calls $45, Villian calls $45, MP folds.

Turn: ($191) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $150</font>, Shorty calls $144.60 (All-In), Villian calls $150.

River: ($635.60) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero ... ? Villian has about $400 behind.

Allinlife
10-07-2005, 12:25 AM
given your read, I don't see why check-folding this river isn't a viable option here.

Big_Jim
10-07-2005, 02:04 AM
What part of my read makes check/folding a good option?

10-07-2005, 04:29 AM
What range do you put him on? The pots nearly $650 so if you think you have him just put him all in.

Big_Jim
10-07-2005, 02:53 PM
What worse hand calls all-in, here?

HoldEmKillah
10-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Well it's tough to put him on a hand here but I don't think you can get away from this given the pot size and how much he has behind. Either check/call or bet $150-$200 whichever feels right.

soah
10-07-2005, 03:44 PM
It's tough for your opponent to call much on the end with anything you beat. He knows you're not bluffing into a $12 side pot.

Since he merely overcalled on that flop it's hard to think he has a straight or a set. And since he didn't go away after the big bet and call on the turn, you've got to believe he's got a big hand... a flush seems most likely.

If you make another bet of $150-200 on the river he will probably not raise you with a flush due to the paired board. Or, you could check and see how much he bets. As mentioned above, no one is going to bluff into a $12 side pot...

The correct move on the river really depends how strongly you feel about your read, and how well you feel you know his betting tendencies.

tdarko
10-07-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What worse hand calls all-in, here?

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't see one that does. if you push and he calls he obviously had you all along with a higher flush or he filled on the river but you know this.

do you block bet here?

durrrr
10-07-2005, 04:11 PM
bet super small.. lik 125... hope he pays off... if he goes allin, puke

HoldEmKillah
10-07-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you make another bet of $150-200 on the river he will probably not raise you with a flush due to the paired board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. This line is best methinks.

flawless_victory
10-07-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bet super small.. like 125... hope he pays off... if he goes allin, throw your cards at the dealer, then throw your drink at the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-07-2005, 04:53 PM
i dont see a set smooth calling that flop too dangerous he might have an over flush or straight i think the best play is push maybe you get the over flush to fold or over call with a weaker hand

Big_Jim
10-07-2005, 05:12 PM
I bet all-in on the river... mostly thinking that the only hands that can call me are hands that beat mine, or a smaller flush. I hoped that I could maybe fold out a better flush.

Villian folded fairly quickly, saying that he flopped top two pair.

Shorty shows Q/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif and I win the $12 side pot.

Gregg777
10-07-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont see a set smooth calling that flop too dangerous he might have an over flush or straight i think the best play is push maybe you get the over flush to fold or over call with a weaker hand

[/ QUOTE ]

With the size of the pot and what shorty has left after calling on the flop, villain checking a set isn't out of the question.

Hero bet out, and shorty doesn't have much left, if villain raises he is most likely getting called anyway, so he might have decided to see the turn before pushing.

Then with the flush on the turn hero bets and shorty calls, even if villain has a set, he isn't folding, and it is foolish to push.

So a set here isn't "impossible".

If villain isn't guaranteed to push a bluff or medium holding, checking and calling a reasonable bet, or folding to a push isn't horrible.

Edit: below added after OP posted results:

Plus you save money to a higher flush /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

soah
10-07-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you make another bet of $150-200 on the river he will probably not raise you with a flush due to the paired board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. This line is best methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, nearly all other flushes beat yours, so I'm not sure how useful this is (except that you don't have to puke and fold to a raise). I guess what I didn't really state explicitly was that he won't raise with anything you can beat, and if you bet small enough there's at least some tiny chance of getting him to call if he happens to have some horribly botched overpair or something.