PDA

View Full Version : WPT Announcers

Philuva
05-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Can the Travel Channel please change announcers for next year? They are both awful. Sexton gives way too much credit to players he knows, and way too little credit to players he doesn't know. The other guys is just an idiot.

Plus, they are not announcing live, they are announcing on tape after all they play has already happened. You would think that given they know all of the information and have had time to reflect on the play, they could provide more meaningful insight. My wife who know very little about poker even thinks they are morons. So it is not like they appeal to non-poker player either.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Gabe Kaplan instead of VVP

Mike Sexton also drives me crazy referring to a middle pair as a second pair.

Fitz
05-22-2003, 12:55 PM
At least Sexton call the NUTS the nuts and not the rocks like VVP. It makes you wonder why some people are celebraties... lol

Toro
05-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Sorry, but I don't agree. I find these broadcasts to be far superior to any that preceeded them in the past and think that they are good for poker.

Easy E
05-22-2003, 03:05 PM
because you think their play-by-play will bring in new players?

Timer
05-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Neither one of these guys could ad-lib a fart in a bean factory.

Sarge85
05-23-2003, 11:59 AM
I actually enjoy Sexton, a pro that can provide some insight. I'm still new to the game so, for me, help helps more than hurts the program.

It's a bummer their comentating on tape, but unless you locked them in a room away from the action - don't see away around that.

John Ho
05-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Phil Hellmuth would probably be a good commentator but of course he wants to play the events. Since the commentary is taped after the fact maybe they can use established players for the broadcast rather than the guys they have now. I'm just not a big fan of Van Patten giving poker commentary.

Someone mentioned Max Kellerman as host. That would be great but probably impossible. Kellerman and Hellmuth would be a great duo.

Shiana is hot so she has to stay. Wow!

rharless
05-23-2003, 02:30 PM
VVP is not a moron. He is a Hollywood home game sensation, and as such should be treated with respect.

MaxPower
05-23-2003, 03:08 PM
It might be better if VVP stopped making comments and just did the Play by Play. His commentary is idiotic. Sexton is OK, but he is trying too hard to be positive and promote poker. They need a Howard Cosell type who isn't afraid to tell it like it is - Sklansky perhaps.

They should hire the guys that did the Poker Million in the UK. I thought they were excellent.

MaxPower
05-23-2003, 03:10 PM
True. VVP also understands the value of suited connectors in No-Limit Holdem:)

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Better idea. Gabe Kaplan does Play-by-Play, Sexton *and* a guest pro do commentary. That way you have 1) a good front man, 2) a consistant point of view on strategy and 3) a different counterpoint on strategy each week.

hutz
05-27-2003, 10:56 AM
I watched the Mississippi and France WPT shows this weekend and concur 100% with the assessment that VVP should be dumped as an announcer. He was very insulting to the gentleman from Arkansas on the Mississippi episode (calling him someone who "looks like a sucker in a home game" and then continuing to do so after Mike Sexton called him on it) and is generally not very astute. My guess is that VVP would actually be the sucker in a great many games, given that he practically pops wood over suited connectors in early position (76s UTG?!?!) and offers other inane comments that show he doesn't really know what he's doing. Ugh!

On the other hand, let's have more of Shana! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

ArchAngel71857
05-27-2003, 01:47 PM