PDA

View Full Version : Do We Like Mike Piazza's Announcing?

andyfox
10-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I thought he was very good. Informative, articulate, funny.

kschellenger
10-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I do. I think he's a lot better than Joe Buck. I think the nice part about players doing it is that they don't over emphasize every single situation. Plus, I feel better about his insights than someone who either hasn't played with these guys or has never played in the bigs.

andyfox
10-06-2005, 07:17 PM
"Plus, I feel better about his insights than someone who either hasn't played with these guys or has never played in the bigs."

Generally, yes. That said (and, as I indicated, I thought Piazza was very good), I have a producer friend who was working on a TV show on which a pitcher who was caught by Piazza for a long time appeared, and that pitcher told my producer friend that Piazza knew very little about catching. FWIW . . .

kschellenger
10-06-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Plus, I feel better about his insights than someone who either hasn't played with these guys or has never played in the bigs."

Generally, yes. That said (and, as I indicated, I thought Piazza was very good), I have a producer friend who was working on a TV show on which a pitcher who was caught by Piazza for a long time appeared, and that pitcher told my producer friend that Piazza knew very little about catching. FWIW . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That's been a knock on Piazza his whole career, he's not a great defensive catcher. But at least he has experience hitting the pitchers, which I think is a nice change of pace.

Voltron87
10-06-2005, 07:26 PM
He knows a thing or two about hitting. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Plus, I think he knows enough about catching to contribute to the broadcast. Most ESPN telecasts aren't at a stratospheric level. I liked him, and most of the things I didn't quite like are the things that will be smoothed out by experience.

LoaferGee12
10-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Thumbs up

Jake (The Snake)
10-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Agreed. My favorite recent player-turned analyst is David Justice though.

Jack of Arcades
10-06-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Not a fan. Like Tony Gwynn, Bret Boone, and Al Leiter, though.

kschellenger
10-06-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Not a fan. Like Tony Gwynn, Bret Boone, and Al Leiter, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony Gwynn because he explains the aspects of the game he knows (hitting) on a simple level and still manages to throw in complicated analysis for people that know the basics.

sammysusar
10-06-2005, 08:06 PM
I doubt you get much training when you just come in to do a playoff game. so is probably hard to compare to some former players turned full time analysts. i like his opinions and incites probably with some polish he could be as good as gwynn or justice.

Jake (The Snake)
10-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Agree here too. Gwynn is good, but my problem with him is that he sometimes talks about things he knows nothing about.

Leiter is good, he just never speaks.

I've only seen Boone once, but he was really good too.

lu_hawk
10-06-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a joke right?

sublime
10-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Agreed.

He looked helagay though.

10-06-2005, 08:34 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed al leiter last year

andyfox
10-06-2005, 11:43 PM
I liked Leiter, but I thought Boone was terrible.

andyfox
10-06-2005, 11:44 PM
As a Yankee fan, I'm hoping to thoroughly enjoy him this year. But, please, Mr. Torre, against lefties only. PLEASE!

pokerdirty
10-07-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

He looked helagay though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gay baseball fans everywhere rejoiced when they saw Piazza in his pink tie monday....

and sublime, helagay? c'mon, that's so 1997...