PDA

View Full Version : 109 bubble play

kurosh
10-06-2005, 06:22 PM
100/200 level. 4 players left. I have 1800 on the BUTTON. UTG has 2k and has been min-raising at a reasonably aggressive pace. SB has about 3k and BB has around that too.

UTG min-raises to 400. I call with KJs on the button. SB calls and BB folds.

Flop comes K73 with two hearts (not what I have). UTG pushes and I call all-in.

10-06-2005, 06:29 PM
I would have punished him more for the min raise...

kurosh
10-06-2005, 06:29 PM
So reraise all-in PF?

10-06-2005, 06:35 PM
If i am going to play the hand, i would at least raise him to 1000. pushing is good too. I try to get max effect for as few chips as possible. he knows i am willing to go the distance and call his push, so the 1000 makes a strong statement about my committment to the pot.

however, with the k hi flop, i hope he is just bluffing because he thinks you have nothing because you didnt raise him. The way it played out, i would have called this as well...

Nicholasp27
10-06-2005, 06:38 PM
u are willing to raise to 1000 with a 1800 stack?

why would u put in >50% of your stack without pushing?!?!?

10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
I know people think differently than i do...i try to get max effect for min investment...if i am willing to push i will just raise him 1000 here...i think that effectively equals a push. not likely he will just call. If he pushes over top, he knows im calling, so he knows to play this hand he will have to put in all his chips. just something that i feel works well for me.

I am definitely open to criticism for this move...help me understand why a push is better. or, how a push is vastly different than this raise. Thanks.

pearljam
10-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Fold pre flop, but in reality you need to move down in limits for now to play these if you want to be profitable, or just go back to limit.

10-06-2005, 06:52 PM
What about this scenario:

You are in the cutoff seat with AKo with 1800 chips with blinds 75/150, you are being minraised by JJ from a 2000 chip stack sitting in middle position, you raise to 1000, he decides to flat-call you deciding what to do depending on flop texture. Flop comes AKQ two of same suits, he is most likely gonna get scared of this big flop and probably gonna throw his hand away and you wont get the action you want. Push preflop and action is probably more likely.

Not a very common scenario, but it doesnt have to get this extreme to sometimes be EV- not to push.

10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
yeah, ive been thinking about the situations where you just get called. But, that to me is rare...and if thats the case, then i feel i am solid post flop and hope i get a piece...i agree there are down sides to it...it ISNT a push and not equal, but i can live with the results. they have been really good for me. next time you take a step down a level and are thinking of trying some new moves...give it a shot and let me know how it works out for you.

10-06-2005, 06:58 PM
My bad, I got the stack sizes mixed up, i would push or fold...

ZeroPointMachine
10-06-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know people think differently than i do...i try to get max effect for min investment...if i am willing to push i will just raise him 1000 here...i think that effectively equals a push. not likely he will just call. If he pushes over top, he knows im calling, so he knows to play this hand he will have to put in all his chips. just something that i feel works well for me.

I am definitely open to criticism for this move...help me understand why a push is better. or, how a push is vastly different than this raise. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you do this you are setting villian up perfectly to pull a stop-n-go move on you. If he calls your 1000 and pushes every flop how many times do you fold considering that you completely miss the flop 2 out of three times?

10-06-2005, 07:08 PM
i misread the chip stacks and didnt realize they both had him covered pretty easily. after re-evaluating, i agree that the raise is not the right move.

I agree in this situation that what i was suggesting is a pretty horrible move. Apologies to the OP.

Let me start over...i would probably fold this hand and wait to fight another day.

TheNoodleMan
10-06-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you do this you are setting villian up perfectly to pull a stop-n-go move on you. If he calls your 1000 and pushes every flop how many times do you fold considering that you completely miss the flop 2 out of three times?

[/ QUOTE ]
You took the words right out of my mouth. I would stop-and-go here almost every time.
Raising half your stack here is a terrible play.

10-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Agreed, my bad because i misread the chip stack. i already ordered hooked on phonics /images/graemlins/smile.gif

caretaker1
10-06-2005, 07:32 PM
I like the line.

$.02

kurosh
10-06-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre flop, but in reality you need to move down in limits for now to play these if you want to be profitable, or just go back to limit.

[/ QUOTE ]You think that based off the 2 posts I've made or do you know my sn? Or is it just a baseless statement?

I think pushing is a bad play here... I can wait for a better spot. I also think KJs is too strong of a hand to fold to a minraise 4-handed. Folding is probably the safest option, but I think it might be +EV to call. Maybe it would be more clear cut if I had slightly more chips?

z32fanatic
10-06-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
100/200 level. 4 players left. I have 1800 on the BUTTON. UTG has 2k and has been min-raising at a reasonably aggressive pace. SB has about 3k and BB has around that too.

UTG min-raises to 400. I call with KJs on the button. SB calls and BB folds.

Flop comes K73 with two hearts (not what I have). UTG pushes and I call all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

All in preflop or fold preflop. I would fold. Cold calling preflop is the worst play I think. You're calling 20% of your stack preflop only to fold the flop most of the time. Additionally, when you fold the flop, you'll only have 1400, much less FE than 1800 would give you if you folded. I would fold this preflop without a 2nd thought.
With that said, flopping a K is the best you could hope for i guess. All in on this flop.

flyingmoose
10-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I think you're trying to play too much poker with a 9BB stack. With your read on the CO, I would probably push.

If you feel like the CO plays extremely predictably postflop, I can understand the call. But if that was the case you probably wouldn't have posted the hand.

Phil Van Sexton
10-06-2005, 08:29 PM
You are giving huge pot odds to the big stacks in the blinds when you call here. One of them could easily push PF and you'd have to eat your KJ. If not, they call and are then first to act on the flop. The BB must've been dealt only 1 card to justify folding here.

You seem too focused on UTG. Your call leaves you exposed to the players behind you. I'm not a fan.