PDA

View Full Version : turn a set

tommo
10-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Hero ($439)
Button ($554.60)
SB ($427.60)
BB ($473.40)
UTG ($427.30)
MP ($297.85)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $2.
]UTG raises to $15</font>, 1 fold</font>, Hero calls $15, Button calls $15, 1 fold</font>, BB raises to $46</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $35, Button calls $35.

Flop: ($167) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif (3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($167) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 players)</font>
BB bets $175</font>, Hero calls $175, Button folds.

River: ($517) J/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)</font>
BB pushes for 175 I call
Final Pot: $517

Not sure about all streets here (except flop)
The villain had vpip 52/17

He is extremely aggressive on almost all flops and turns.

Still...just about the only hand I beat that I can put him on by the river is AK guess there are 9 of those, 6 KKs and 6 AAs.

There is a possibility of a big bluff with this guy

Yeti
10-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm assuming he pushed the river?

The action is unclear.

tommo
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
my bad, fixing it

Maulik
10-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Not sure about all streets here (except flop)
The villain had vpip 52/17

He is extremely aggressive on almost all flops and turns.

Still...just about the only hand I beat that I can put him on by the river is AK guess there are 9 of those, 6 KKs and 6 AAs.

There is a possibility of a big bluff with this guy

you beat many pocket pairs &amp; all draws. should have pushed him all-in on the turn. this is not MSHS.

xorbie
10-06-2005, 05:18 PM
I call here. He could just as easily have AK as AA or KK (assuming he plays all the same) and there are 6 combined AA/KK and 9 AK. There's also the change of QQ or JJ trying to push you off something.

tommo
10-06-2005, 05:19 PM
alright, my bad...although the FAQ says
[ QUOTE ]
Q: What's the difference between Small Stakes NL and Mid-High NL?

A: Small stakes is in the realm of $.01/$.02 to $2/$4 NL. Mid-high includes $2/$4 and above. Please understand that the amount of BBs in play is more important than the level you're playing at. A hand involving two $600 stacks at a $.5/$1 table would pass as Mid-High.

[/ QUOTE ]

tommo
10-06-2005, 05:20 PM
how about that reraise preflop? is calling here good preflop?

how about maulik's point of pushing all in on turn? I called because
1) if he's bluffing there's a chance he'll bluff on the river and he'll fold if I push
2) its pretty unlikely he has a draw here
3) if he has a hand like AQ he might be able to get away, whereas if he has any hand that beats me he's definitely calling.
4) if he has a hand like AK AQ he's more likely to pay me off if I call here

tommo
10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
and maybe I'm doing something dumb...but aren't there 12 combined AA/KK's?

lapoker17
10-06-2005, 05:30 PM
preflop call is close.

if you're calling his bet on the river, you have to push the turn.

tommo
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
could you look at my reply to xorbie and tell my why the passive approach is worse in this case? Remember that this guy is a lag (extremely aggressive on flops and turns and quite loose aggro preflop too).

xorbie
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and maybe I'm doing something dumb...but aren't there 12 combined AA/KK's?

[/ QUOTE ]

With an A on the board, there are only 3 remaining ways to make AA. Ditto KK.

swarm
10-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Is he capable of making this move without AA or KK considering the preflop action? If you thought he was did you consider trying to take this away on an Ace high flop? What do you think he puts you on after calling his raise?

I'm not a big fan of getting 10% of my stack in preflop to set hunt... it's not terrible considering the pot size if you know he will pay you off.

You played to hit a set, he let you hit it on the turn. His check is a little scketchy as lags sometimes slow down when they hit a big hand and I see KK or AA flopped sets pull this quite often at this level, but your not folding a set. Push the turn, neither of you are folding at this point, the pot is to big.

tommo
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
heh, yeah you're right I wasn't taking order not mattering into account

lapoker17
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Lags don't check flops after reraising pre unless there's something weird going on - he could have QQ and hate the flop, but a lag still usually finds a bet here. You guys aren't deep enough for you to try to "milk" him. As far as letting him keep fire with air - he doesn't have air - is he really reraising out of the blinds and stacks this short with something that isn't strong?

If you had folded to the turn bet - I would be fine with that, but the fact that you called the river means that you're willing to lose to AA or KK here.

I push because I dont want to see an A,K,J,Q or T on the river and have to make that call.

tommo
10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
thanks, thats a really valid point. I think probably folding on the turn here would've been the right play.

Maulik
10-06-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks, thats a really valid point. I think probably folding on the turn here would've been the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

folding a set because someone may have a higher set????

I don't think so. why are you playing your 55 to a raise PF?

tommo
10-07-2005, 12:25 AM
I am playing 55 to hit a set on AA or KK and thus stack. When the A and the K come down its a very legitimate concern that villain has AA or KK.

Its not a terrible push either, I'd say its really pretty much 50/50. I'm not actually that unhappy with the way I played it, villain did show down KK though.