PDA

View Full Version : The Trial of Adolf Eichmann...

PITTM
10-06-2005, 04:42 PM
i read a series of articles on the Eichmann trial in 1961. I had a lot of problems with Israel presiding over the trials. The following were my reservations:

-Israel illegally extradited him from Argentina to Israel for trial.
-Israel tried him under laws that had been created after his crimes by a state that didnt even exist during his crimes.
-Isreal claimed to be the "home of all jews worldwide" this is simply not true, not to mention completely irrelevant.
-There was not a chance in hell Eichman would recieve a trial that was the least bit fair.

Many Israeli scholars claimed that the case had to be tried in Israel by Israeli Jews because of the sufferings those people had experienced. I see a real problem with this. it completely overrides any system of "justice" we might claim to have in our society. what makes us able to make laws after a crime and prosecute one person for them, but does not allow us to prosecute others? i think that this case should have been tried in an international court and that Israel made a fairly large mistake by showing that they had less interest in justice than they did in revenge.

im not really sure why i wrote this post, but this article had really been bothering me and i had things to write about it and felt like this would be a nice place to put it. to anyone who thinks this is some sort of anti-semitic statement, I was born in Poland and both of my grandparents died in camps not because they were Jewish, but because they were Polish. Which may give me the biased opinion that ALL nations should have tried Eichmann, but i believe that all nations were wronged by him and that there actually were international laws against such behaviors, as opposed to israeli law which was created after the case. i think justice was not served here but that it may have been better served in an international court.

rj

SheetWise
10-06-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-Israel illegally extradited him from Argentina to Israel for trial.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was just a show trial, and I don't think reflects their beliefs about justice in any way. We do them in this country too.

I was just wondering ... it would have been a lot easier for them to just put a bullet in his head -- would that have been justifiable? I think so. That being the case, it's a little hard to get worked up over a show trial -- and I think that's how most people felt at the time. It would have been insensitive to show his execution -- the way it was handled, victims were given the chance to watch him squirm.

Exsubmariner
10-06-2005, 05:59 PM
In my readings about the history of Isrealis rounding up ex Nazi's I continually have drawn the conclusion that revenge was a primary motivation. The idea of Justice was only used when it suited other purposes, like show trials. I beleive many ex Nazi's were hunted down and simply killed over the years without trial or arrest. I believe the trial you are talking about was only held for political purposes. Even so, it doesn't nullify the man's guilt or complicity in the holocaust.

bobman0330
10-07-2005, 05:51 PM
The "extradition" was clearly illegal. It would make more sense to call it kidnapping, really.

The rationale for Israel's jurisdiction was that Eichmann was part of a conspiracy to exterminate the Jews. The annihilation of the nation of Israel was a part of that conspiracy. Therefore, Israel had jurisdiction to protect itself against crimes that threaten its existence/security. (Just like the US has jursidiction over extraterritorial counterfeiters.) The fact that Israel did not exist at the time is a problem, but it was well on the way to becoming a state.

Why do you feel that the trial was unfair? Many Germans were acquitted by the Allies at Nuremberg... what evidence do you have to demonstrate that Israel would have done the same if the proof against Eichmann had been insufficient?

Peter666
10-07-2005, 06:43 PM
And in current news Canada jailed and extradited Ernst Zundel (a supposed holocaust denier) to Germany even though he broke no laws. It is tyranny pure and simple. A good reason to own lots of guns like me.

zipo
10-07-2005, 07:50 PM
>>I was born in Poland and both of my grandparents died in camps not because they were Jewish, but because they were Polish. Which may give me the biased opinion that ALL nations should have tried Eichmann<<

Personally, I don't care who got the sick MF'er.

The important thing is that he got got.

MMMMMM
10-07-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't care who got the sick MF'er.

The important thing is that he got got.

[/ QUOTE ]