PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question of the day

Homer
10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Whenever I buy something with a credit card, the cashier looks at the back of my card for my signature. The thing is, I don't sign my cards and the cashier doesn't ask me for ID and swipes the card anyway. So, my question is, why do they even look at the back of the card?

krimson
10-06-2005, 04:27 PM
They're looking to see if their is bits of cocaine encrusted into the backs of the numbers.

10-06-2005, 04:28 PM
First of all, you should sign your card. Why the hell don't you?

Second of all, the cashier shouldn't accept your card if it is not signed.

Homer
10-06-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, you should sign your card. Why the hell don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a moron. A lazy moron. Actually, I heard you should write "See ID" on it instead of signing. Is that true?

[ QUOTE ]
Second of all, the cashier shouldn't accept your card if it is not signed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. But they do. All the time. After looking for the signature. Makes no sense.

10-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh, and to answer your question /images/graemlins/blush.gif they are looking at the back of your card to verify your signature (you just signed the receipt), if they don't match well enough I suppose they wouldn't accept it.

Shajen
10-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey Homer,

you should seriously put something on there. Something like "please see ID" or some such thing. Leaving it blank is a bad idea.

Homer
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and to answer your question /images/graemlins/blush.gif they are looking at the back of your card to verify your signature (you just signed the receipt), if they don't match well enough I suppose they wouldn't accept it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but they always look before they swipe it, meaning before I sign the slip.

Homer
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Homer,

you should seriously put something on there. Something like "please see ID" or some such thing. Leaving it blank is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done and done.

tdarko
10-06-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

captZEEbo1
10-06-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and to answer your question /images/graemlins/blush.gif they are looking at the back of your card to verify your signature (you just signed the receipt), if they don't mat1ch well enough I suppose they wouldn't accept it.

[/ QUOTE ]no they aren't....

but I think supposedly they require ID if it's not signed, but don't require ID if it is signed?

Shajen
10-06-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Homer,

[/ QUOTE ]

Done and done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good man. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-06-2005, 04:33 PM
I have also heard of the "see ID" thing. It's to defend yourself against ID theft. But that seems like a pain to always take out your license whenever you use your CC. I guess if you've had your ID stolen, or know someone who has a horror story, then you'll be more willing to put see ID on it.

But at least sign it because if you ever need to contest a charge and you haven't even signed your card I can see it being difficult.

And as for the cashiers, I have actually gotten new cards in the mail that I've forgotten to sign before using them. They take them but usually ask me to sign the card or tell me to sign the card. I know it kinda defeats the purpose if you're signing it right in front of them but whatever.

10-06-2005, 04:35 PM
ZEE, they aren't what? They aren't checking to verify the signature? Or they aren't going to deny the card?

astroglide
10-06-2005, 04:40 PM
they won't stand for the 'see id' thing at the post office for some reason

captZEEbo1
10-06-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ZEE, they aren't what? They aren't checking to verify the signature? Or they aren't going to deny the card?

[/ QUOTE ]
veryifying the signature...if they were, that'd imply they'd look back at the first one and that simply would never happen.

dcasper70
10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Homer,

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a card that I signed 'Ima Forgery'

No one bothers... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Some past winners:
Whaddaya Lookingat
This Isntme
Random Signature

They never check. Ever.

Yeti
10-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Carrying a card around with a blank signature strip sounds like the dumbest thing ever.

Most banks here won't let you leave with a new card until you've signed it.

manpower
10-06-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They never check. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes they check. I gave my friend my card to buy some beer the last friday as I waited in the car. He signed a third person's name on the reciept as a joke and as we're driving away the cashier came out and made me resign it.

NotMitch
10-06-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I buy something with a credit card, the cashier looks at the back of my card for my signature. The thing is, I don't sign my cards and the cashier doesn't ask me for ID and swipes the card anyway. So, my question is, why do they even look at the back of the card?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the T&C from you CC company the card is not valid without your signature. Althought clearly in the real world it doesnt work that way.