PDA

View Full Version : Lies told by your parents

10-06-2005, 03:40 PM
We all heard them...whats the best lie your parents told you and what was the reasoning??

Mine--
"When you hear the jingle from the ice cream truck, that means he is out of ice cream"

The jerks just didnt want to shell out any money....

10-06-2005, 03:44 PM
We're doing our taxes!

peterchi
10-06-2005, 03:49 PM
"We're poor."

To be completely stereotypical, I think this fib is told by all Asian parents not on the West Coast.

tdarko
10-06-2005, 03:49 PM
my parents were brutally honest.

this is why i was the kid in the second grade telling the other second graders that there was no such thing as santa clause or the easter bunny /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

dtbog
10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We all heard them...whats the best lie your parents told you and what was the reasoning??

[/ QUOTE ]

"Daddy and I are cleaning the covers on the bed, dear."

asofel
10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
they found me under a bridge?

(ok not me but evidently all of my Asian friends!?)

4_2_it
10-06-2005, 04:02 PM
"You can do anything if you put your mind to it"

They left out the part that you also needed to have a crapload of money.

WackityWhiz
10-06-2005, 04:09 PM
they always told me I was husky /images/graemlins/mad.gif

drewjustdrew
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
When I found where they hid some money, I took it to play a trick on them (honestly!). When they found it missing, I told them I had it after they were sweating it for a few minutes. My dad said "There was another $300 there. What did you do with it?"

I can't explain the reasoning other than so that I would never pull that trick again in my life..

IndieMatty
10-06-2005, 04:12 PM
That the Asian family down the street are just like our family. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3597398&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

FouTight
10-06-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my parents were brutally honest.

this is why i was the kid in the second grade telling the other second graders that there was no such thing as santa clause or the easter bunny /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, my parents got so many calls from angry parents when I was in first grade and told the class there was no santa, that was sweet.

My parents always lied, they always said "We'll tell you when you are older" to just about every question I asked... WELL! I'm still waiting.

Dominic
10-06-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Mine--
"When you hear the jingle from the ice cream truck, that means he is out of ice cream"

The jerks just didnt want to shell out any money....

[/ QUOTE ]

that's awesome! LOL

Los Feliz Slim
10-06-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they always told me I was husky /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, shopping for the husky underwear was the rough stuff.

Dominic
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
When I was about 7, we were driving in the car over a bridge - I saw a sign that said, "Not to exceed 12,000 pounds" or something similar...I asked my Dad how did they know how much weight the bridge could take?

My Dad said, "Well, they keep driving heavier and heavier trucks over the first bridge until it collapses. Then they build the bridge again and put up a sign with the last truck's weight on it."

Made sense to me.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

diebitter
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
That we were, in fact, nearly there

Cancer Merchant
10-06-2005, 05:38 PM
You see those cows that stand on the hill all day, that makes the uphill leg shorter. When they move to level ground, they walk in circles.

Brainwalter
10-06-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was about 7, we were driving in the car over a bridge - I saw a sign that said, "Not to exceed 12,000 pounds" or something similar...I asked my Dad how did they know how much weight the bridge could take?

My Dad said, "Well, they keep driving heavier and heavier trucks over the first bridge until it collapses. Then they build the bridge again and put up a sign with the last truck's weight on it."

Made sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calvin and Hobbes has some good ones, including this one.

oddjob
10-06-2005, 05:41 PM
i was goodlooking.

Dominic
10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Made sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calvin and Hobbes has some good ones, including this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figured with the Calvin and Hobbes thread, I'd do an "homage"....it is one of my favorite C&H, though....

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mars357
10-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Sears Toughskins in Husky.... No wonder I got the [censored] beat out of me in gradeschool...

As for the lie, I never went blind nor do I have a hairy palm. I also happy to report that my face didn't stick that way....