PDA

View Full Version : A conversation I overheard

DasLeben
10-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I hear a lot of conversations going on at work. 98% of them I ignore, since I generally have better stuff to do than to listen to some random people talking about their day.

This one caught my attention though. I only had 1-2 tables going, so I had a bit of free time to mull around trying to look useful. At one of the bar tables, I hear a lady saying "But New Orleans has always been wicked." My ears perked up for a second, and a man proceeded to respond "well, that's why God flooded them off the earth."

I just stood there for a second, watching this group of 6 people around this bar table sit there with serious looks on their faces while talking about the "wicked New Orleans" getting smote off the earth by their god. I couldn't believe the nerve of these people and their self-rightous attitudes.

So what the hell? Do other people really think like this? Absolutely appalling.

swede123
10-06-2005, 03:27 PM
What other explanation would there be? Other than GWB, that is.

Swede

diebitter
10-06-2005, 03:29 PM
You are correct. They are appalling.

MrMon
10-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Allah did it. This is the subject of serious news reports in the Middle East. Really.

RunDownHouse
10-06-2005, 03:35 PM
One of my coworkers ( this guy, actually (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3360967&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)) honestly believes that people from biblical times lived to be 300 years old. Somehow the conversation came up, and he tossed that right out there like it was nothing. We had to actually stop him and ask him to repeat what he just said, as he was continuing on while we were trying to figure out if he was joking or not.

10-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I heard people talk about Phucket the same way right after last year's tsunamis. It's a Sodom and Gomora kind of analogy.

Cracker
10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I was waiting for Pat Robertson to come out with a statement like this. His aides must have had him gagged for a few weeks.

Philuva
10-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Surprisingly a lot of people think like this.

Although if you believe in a God that intervenes in a positive manner (miracles that seem to happen just about every day according to the news), I guess it makes sense that you would believe in a God that intervenes in a negative way as well.

bustedchucks
10-06-2005, 03:54 PM
"I only had 1-2 tables going, so I had a bit of free time to mull around trying to look useful."

it took me a minute to realize you work in a restaurant. i was jealous, like man this guy can play at work, way better than rakeback.

speirs
10-06-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I only had 1-2 tables going, so I had a bit of free time to mull around trying to look useful."

it took me a minute to realize you work in a restaurant. i was jealous, like man this guy can play at work, way better than rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol I was thinking the same thing

tdarko
10-06-2005, 04:03 PM
well i have family that is living with me right now and they are happy b/c it has been the first motivation in their miserable life for them to move out of there hell hole existence.

"yeah, we love dallas we might move here!"

us: "ummm, and exactly how are you going to do that living off of just your evacuee check?"

philnewall
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Some Christian nut wrote into my local paper saying the hurricane hit New Orleans because the gays there were planning a pride march...doesn't bode well for my town cos we're gonna have one soon!

drewjustdrew
10-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Jerusalem is a hole. Allah must be dancing.

[censored]
10-06-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol I was thinking the same thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait what? He wasn't playing? Sort of takes some of the shine of the story.

I actually think you are strange for not knowing that there are people who believe these things. I'm thinking WTF there are actually people who don't know about this stuff? As it is I suspect you did know but wanted to pass along your experience, which is fine too.

HopeydaFish
10-06-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some Christian nut wrote into my local paper saying the hurricane hit New Orleans because the gays there were planning a pride march...doesn't bode well for my town cos we're gonna have one soon!

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a Christian preacher that put forth this theory originally. They talked about it on the Daily Show. Turns out the march was going to be through the French Quarter...which is just about the only part of New Orleans that wasn't severely damaged by the hurricane.

Apparently God hates people who live *adjacent* to gay pride marches.

PocketJokers72
10-06-2005, 04:40 PM
[quote i was jealous, like man this guy can play at work, way better than rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 4-table most of the day at work. It's good to be the king.

Include my regular paycheck (not too shabby) rakeback and bonuses in that, and I feel like a double-dipping 'gubmint' employee.

bwana devil
10-06-2005, 04:44 PM
if you want to see a real scumbag check out www.godhatesfags.com. (http://www.godhatesfags.com.) he's dedicated his life to his mission. he runs a "church" and his members consist of his extended family.

he rejoices over the destruction of the hurricane. randomly pickets military funerals to protest military policies. celebrates homosexuals' deaths and mocks their lives. he's a real sweetheart.

Cracker
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Maybe it was God's punishment for us not whacking Chavez.

LittleOldLady
10-06-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear a lot of conversations going on at work. 98% of them I ignore, since I generally have better stuff to do than to listen to some random people talking about their day.

This one caught my attention though. I only had 1-2 tables going, so I had a bit of free time to mull around trying to look useful. At one of the bar tables, I hear a lady saying "But New Orleans has always been wicked." My ears perked up for a second, and a man proceeded to respond "well, that's why God flooded them off the earth."

I just stood there for a second, watching this group of 6 people around this bar table sit there with serious looks on their faces while talking about the "wicked New Orleans" getting smote off the earth by their god. I couldn't believe the nerve of these people and their self-rightous attitudes.

So what the hell? Do other people really think like this? Absolutely appalling.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. God clearly said fire next time.

For the information of the clueless bigots, the neighborhoods where most gays live (French Quarter, Marigny, Bywater) came through just fine. The neighborhoods of the upstanding middleclass church-going families were destroyed (all along the lakefront).

ChipWrecked
10-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I listen to the old Art Bell show during my break at work at night. George Noory (the new host) had a voodoo princess on who claims voodoo gods wiped out NO to punish a renegade voodoo priest. Basically a voodoo version of the same thing these others are saying.

wayabvpar
10-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Billy Graham's son agrees with your customers. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9600878/)

Scary when Kennedy is the voice of reason in the debate.

Warik
10-06-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess it makes sense that you would believe in a God that intervenes in a negative way as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope sorry God never does anything negative.... now you're going to hell for what you said. Sucks to be you!

LittleOldLady
10-06-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Billy Graham's son agrees with your customers. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9600878/)

Scary when Kennedy is the voice of reason in the debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a bunch of misinformed loonies. There were no babies dead in the streets from dehydration. Very few children died in this disaster according to those running the morgue in St. Gabriel. However many children did die, many more are killed by child abuse and neglect around the country.

As far as this being a special visitation on black people, yes, New Orleans is a black majority city, but the affected region is white majority. St. Bernard Parish which was completely destroyed had an overwhelmingly white population. St. Tammany and Washington Parishes which suffered enormous wind damage are also primarily white. Jefferson, too. The media decided, erroneously, that race was the story and chose to display images of black victims almost exclusively. You didn't see the masses of white people piled up at the Chalmette slip coming out of St. Bernard. (Admittedly ease of access had something to do with it, The Superdome and the Convention Center were familiar to the out-of-town media and easy to get to. They were so unfamiliar with the rest of the area--and so apparently unwilling to learn--that they consistently mispronounced Chalmette and St. Bernard.)

As for the hand of God, what about all those hamlets out on the plains that get blown to bits by tornadoes every year? All little Peyton Places, are they?

Blarg
10-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Jerry Falwell said this about 9/11 too.

Religious people saying evil stuff is pretty par for the course.