brettbrettr
10-06-2005, 03:13 PM
This should go over really well....

xadrez
10-06-2005, 03:40 PM
steroids aside, he did deserve it.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2005, 03:53 PM
biggest blow to the steroids-make-you-a-better-player-no-matter-what camp.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2005, 04:01 PM
you also forgot to mention that my man Griffey Jr. took the award in the NL. Way to go Griffey!

kschellenger
10-06-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
steroids aside, he did deserve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Bob Wickman? He had a real good comeback year.

brettbrettr
10-06-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe it shows that you can be good without steroids.

Toro
10-06-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe he found a better masking agent.

xadrez
10-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Bob Wickman has always been pretty solid.

If anything he should get one of the Awards that are sponsored by Depends/AARP

JayLear
10-06-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We'll never know for sure, with regards to Giambi.

tdarko
10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jason Giambi wins AL comeback player of the year

[/ QUOTE ]
ummm and he should have, was this really a surprise or something. the guy absolutely went off for two months and was a big reason why the yankees turned it around.

as for wickman, he is the best pitcher in baseball with half an index finger on his throwing hand /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

brettbrettr
10-06-2005, 05:18 PM
How many tests does this guy have to pass for people to be convinced that he's a good hitter sans roids? Personally, I don't care who thinks what, I'm just curious about hard-headedness and denial.

JayLear
10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many tests does this guy have to pass for people to be convinced that he's a good hitter sans roids? Personally, I don't care who thinks what, I'm just curious about hard-headedness and denial.

[/ QUOTE ]
First, I'm not aware of any test that he has ever taken or passed. The current program is random as far as I know, and I've never heard that he's been tested. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard any different. For the most part, I don't think you ever would hear unless a player brought it up. I don't know if it's confidential, but I'm sure it's not the kind of thing MLB sends out press releases about.

Secondly, the drug he was caught doing, HGH, is not currently detectable under the current program. There is no test in place for it, so frankly any MLB player could be doing it right now, and we'd never find out. That's one of the things congress is still pissed about.

And third, I guess since he's been busted, in my mind he'll never be clean. Maybe it's not logical, but why should I believe him now when he wasn't to be believed before?

I guess I'll just always be skeptical of him and the rest of the juice bunch.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The current program is random as far as I know, and I've never heard that he's been tested. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard any different. For the most part, I don't think you ever would hear unless a player brought it up. I don't know if it's confidential, but I'm sure it's not the kind of thing MLB sends out press releases about.

[/ QUOTE ] I am sure there was an agreement between the players union and the owners that MLB could not release information on who was tested and who passed. I mean, Raffy tested positive and it took months before we found out.

JayLear
10-06-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The current program is random as far as I know, and I've never heard that he's been tested. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard any different. For the most part, I don't think you ever would hear unless a player brought it up. I don't know if it's confidential, but I'm sure it's not the kind of thing MLB sends out press releases about.

[/ QUOTE ] I am sure there was an agreement between the players union and the owners that MLB could not release information on who was tested and who passed. I mean, Raffy tested positive and it took months before we found out.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm guessing. I heard a little bit about players being tested when they brought it up to beat reporters, describing how the test was conducted. Jeter was the first one I heard talk about it after being tested this spring.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2005, 06:17 PM
You know what though, this just shows how stupid the players union is, and here is why.
1. If a player tests positive, we will know it, there is no way of getting around that.
2. Suppose a player is tested and comes up negative, and that player has had a cloud of doubt following him his whole career, say someone like Bonds /images/graemlins/grin.gif, the players union should want the public to know that one of its biggest stars is clean.

J.R.
10-06-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, I'm not aware of any test that he has ever taken or passed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi was subject to at least one random drug test this season.

"In addition to one mandatory test each season, players randomly will be selected for additional tests, with no limit on how many times a player may be tested. For the first time, players will be subject to random tests during the offseason. In addition, diuretics and many steroid precursors were added to the banned list."

link (http://www.ktvu.com/balco/4077374/detail.html)

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, the drug he was caught doing, HGH, is not currently detectable under the current program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi was never caught using any illegal substance. He allegedly admitted to using deca, hgh, testosterone, the cream and the clear in his grand jury testimony.

link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/12/02/MNG80A523H1.DTL)

Baseball does not test for HGH, so who knows what Giambi and others are taking:

"But Dr. Gary Wadler, a New York University professor and member of the World Anti-Doping Agency, said the program was deficient because it does not include tests for amphetamines, and relies on urine rather than blood tests, meaning human growth hormones will not be detected."

link (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/14/Sports/Baseball_cracks_down_.shtml)

J.R.
10-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Every player who spent time (I'm pretty sure on this, and certainly every player who spent any meaningful amount fo time, such as all your big name stars) on the mlb roster were tested, so if no announcement was made, assume they passed at least one test.

The union was worried about announcing negative tests because if a player was tested muliple times, it would indicates there was suspiscion regarding that player, so even though the player had tested negative the impression would be they had used in the past.

JayLear
10-06-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, I'm not aware of any test that he has ever taken or passed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi was subject to at least one random drug test this season.

"In addition to one mandatory test each season, players randomly will be selected for additional tests, with no limit on how many times a player may be tested. For the first time, players will be subject to random tests during the offseason. In addition, diuretics and many steroid precursors were added to the banned list."

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering how they handled this -- I didn't know that every player on every team got tested. Thanks for the info.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, the drug he was caught doing, HGH, is not currently detectable under the current program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi was never caught using any illegal substance. He allegedly admitted to using deca, hgh, testosterone, the cream and the clear in his grand jury testimony.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what the difference is. I think we all know he did it.

Baseball does not test for HGH, so who knows what Giambi and others are taking:

"But Dr. Gary Wadler, a New York University professor and member of the World Anti-Doping Agency, said the program was deficient because it does not include tests for amphetamines, and relies on urine rather than blood tests, meaning human growth hormones will not be detected."

[/ QUOTE ]
So if he were still using HGH, we wouldn't know it. This is what I said.