PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Women Smoking

LetYouDown
10-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Am I the only one that wants to slap the [censored] out of a pregnant woman when I see her smoking? There's a woman I work with that's 8 months pregnant and she never stopped smoking. I'm a smoker, and granted, I'll never face that issue...but WTF?

beta1607
10-06-2005, 03:01 PM
People who do this should get busted for child abuse.

10-06-2005, 03:05 PM
What happens to the baby when the pregnant woman smokes?

LetYouDown
10-06-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this just a retarded sarcasm post or are you honestly that ignorant?

IndieMatty
Are you [censored] serious? Whats' her rationale????

PokerStu
No you're definatley not the only one. This really pisses me off. My sister was a smoker (and her husband), but when she got pregnant they both stopped. I would have a serious talk with her had she been smoking throughout the pregnancy. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Hal 2000
10-06-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They come out sounding like Harvey Fierstein.

IndieMatty
10-06-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hah. actually if this guy doesn't know what happens in this situation, it is guaranteed that he doesn't know who Harvey Fierstein is.

drewjustdrew
What are you? The baby police?

I am ignorant. So what happens when a pregnant woman smokes?

swede123
10-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Along these lines it also pisses me off when some woman (or man) is puffin' away while driving, with the kids in the backseat. I don't see how anyone can do that to their own body, but at least it is their own body. Not so with children. Inconsiderate fuckers, all of 'em.

Swede

Hal 2000
10-06-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hah. actually if this guy doesn't know what happens in this situation, it is guaranteed that he doesn't know who Harvey Fierstein is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

10-06-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You run up and kick her in the gawdamn baby

MrMon
10-06-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who do this should get busted for child abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. We should chain all pregnant women up in sterile rooms and feed them nothing but organic tofu and beet juice, so that nothing adverse ever happens to the fetus. That'll solve all of society's problems.

Seriously, I don't approve of her actions, but prosecute her for child abuse? I guess some people never tire of trying to control everyone else.

LetYouDown
10-06-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you [censored] serious? Whats' her rationale????

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish I had the stones to ask her that. She's well above me in the food chain. I just can't even fathom what the hell she's thinking. I've tried to quit and it SUCKS, don't get me wrong...but c'mon, it shouldn't even be a question when you're pregnant.

LetYouDown
10-06-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. We should chain all pregnant women up in sterile rooms and feed them nothing but organic tofu and beet juice, so that nothing adverse ever happens to the fetus. That'll solve all of society's problems.

Seriously, I don't approve of her actions, but prosecute her for child abuse? I guess some people never tire of trying to control everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
I take it your mother smoked when she was pregnant?

There's no legal recourse, and I would never take it that far. My point is, she's risking/ruining the health of an unborn child because she couldn't handle quitting smoking. Give me a [censored] break. That's about the most selfish thing I can possibly think of.

jackdaniels
10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've tried to quit and it SUCKS, don't get me wrong...but c'mon, it shouldn't even be a question when you're pregnant.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be one of the considerations before getting pregnant.

Then again, our society demands more from an individual before they give them a library card than before the same individual has kids. I guess having a child (and raising one!) takes less responsibility than checking out a copy of the DaVinci Code...

drewjustdrew
10-06-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's about the most selfish thing I can possibly think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about:

1. Habitual drunk driving cuz it's convenient
2. Retiring from the NFL when you are only 1500 yards short of the all-time rushing record (some of us lost money on that)
3. Speeding in congested traffic
4. Selling drugs

All of those are compounded when you are pregnant of course.

Thebram
10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I once worked with a woman that smoked during her entire pregnancy. I did ask her once why she continued to do so, and her response was a pretty much what I expected.
An eye-roll, a shrug, and a comment about being addicted, etc...

The baby ended up being born slightly premature, and had a cranial deformity that had to be surgically corrected.

I never really talked to her about it again, the whole situation was too sad and f'ed for an even a subtle "I told you so".

There's no way to 100% put the blame on her smoking...but I don't see how she could not regret 9 months of smoking for the rest of her child's life.

MrMon
10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no legal recourse, and I would never take it that far. My point is, she's risking/ruining the health of an unborn child because she couldn't handle quitting smoking. Give me a [censored] break. That's about the most selfish thing I can possibly think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother has never smoked. Period. Neither have I.

I agree that smoking during pregnancy is not smart. To be blunt about it, it's not smart at any time. But it's also her choice. You can assume she knows the risks. You don't have to approve. You don't have a right to get in her face about it or request the DA jail her ass.

That's the problem with freedom. Sometimes people use it to make choices we don't approve of.

10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I hate to see parents smoking in their car w/ windows up w/ the kids in the backseat. Pregnant women smoking is just criminal /images/graemlins/mad.gif
If you want to smoke go ahead but why expose your kids to it.

LetYouDown
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Choices that affect her alone are one thing. I have no problem with smokers, never did even when I was a non-smoker. But subjecting someone who can't leave the room or could have their health negatively affected because of my discourtesy is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't smoke indoors. If I'm smoking as I walk down the street and someone's coming near me, I move out of their way. If I had an unborn child that could be premature or have tons of other issues, I can easily say I wouldn't smoke.

PoBoy321
10-06-2005, 04:18 PM
While this is probably going to turn into another argument that belongs in politics, I certainly think it's absurd to try to prosecute a woman for child abuse who smokes while she's pregnant. Granted, it's clearly detrimental to the health of the baby, but lots of things are and we can't go around policing everyone.

Just as part of full disclosure, my mom smoked while she was pregnant with me, although not heavily and she quit during the first trimester. I also know that she smoked for at least part of my brother's pregnancy, although how often, or if she stopped when she found out that she was pregnant with him, I don't know. She quit smoking completely before she had my sister and none of us have ever had any type of health or developmental problems.

HopeydaFish
10-06-2005, 05:15 PM
If someone is a heavy smoker, sometimes doctors will advise them to try to cut down and quit gradually, as opposed to quitting cold-turkey. The shock to the body during withdrawal is sometimes more harmful than the nicotine that the baby is being exposed to. Also keep in mind that the baby isn't being exposed to second-hand smoke, he/she is being exposed to the nicotine that is being absorbed by the mother's bloodstream. This isn't the same as the parents who smoke around their (born) children. It's still very very bad, but for different reasons.

Ideally, women should quit smoking well before they get pregnant, so that they aren't going through any sort of physical stress due to withdrawal that might harm the baby. However, women who get pregnant accidentally do not have the luxury of being able to quit in preparation for the pregnancy.

On a side note, there was a case in Canada a few years ago of a woman who lived on an Indian reserve and was addicted to inhaling solvents. She'd had four or five children who were born with severe physical and mental defects, and these children were taken away from her as she was unable to care for them. She became pregnant again, and the Children's Aid society stepped in and got a court order to get her to stop inhaling solvents while she was pregnant. The woman actually went and fought in court, and made lots of statements to the media such as "I can do what I want with my body" and "I'll inhale solvents if I want to, nobody can make me stop"...she was totally unrepentant.

I'm not really sure what happened in the end. It's very unlikely that she quit inhaling solvents cold turkey, as she had absolutely no inclination to do so, and was defiant about doing it. With any luck she's dead now.

10-06-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that wants to slap the [censored] out of a pregnant woman when I see her smoking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt that's a good solution.

Stalk her instead.

Colonel Kataffy
10-06-2005, 05:33 PM
There must be something along the lines of smashing the window of a hot car open that you can do.

oddjob
10-06-2005, 05:35 PM
you should grab the cigarette and break it over a tree.

Brainwalter
10-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Re: Pregnant Women Smoking

So hot. Two fetishes in one.

-Skeme-
10-06-2005, 06:30 PM
http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/graphics/pregnant.jpg

What a [censored] idiot.

peachy
10-06-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its one of the worst things u can do while pregnant and one of the main things that gets thru /images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Skeme-
10-06-2005, 06:45 PM
What about fist fighting a kangaroo?

man
10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother has never smoked. Period. Neither have I.

I agree that smoking during pregnancy is not smart. To be blunt about it, it's not smart at any time. But it's also her choice. You can assume she knows the risks. You don't have to approve. You don't have a right to get in her face about it or request the DA jail her ass.

That's the problem with freedom. Sometimes people use it to make choices we don't approve of.

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you're wrong. your freedom to smoke stops as soon as it affects someone else's life. namely, the unborn child. you're saying that if the child has a defect caused by smoking, well that sucks, but there's nothing that could've been done about it.

I don't mean to be rude, but damn, I strongly disagree.

swede123
10-06-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about fist fighting a kangaroo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking a regular kangaroo or a mini-kangaroo? Seriously, this question begs for a poll. How many fetuses could a boxing kangaroo take on?

Swede

-Skeme-
10-06-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no. you're wrong. your freedom to smoke stops as soon as it affects someone else's life. namely, the unborn child.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother smoked with me and I was born perfectly fine and healthy. Driving in a car can lead to the death of a fetus. Should a woman who T Boned another car be held accountable for getting into the car?

10-06-2005, 08:47 PM
- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -- sample size alert -

SCfuji
10-06-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go look in a mirror

HopeydaFish
10-06-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no. you're wrong. your freedom to smoke stops as soon as it affects someone else's life. namely, the unborn child.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother smoked with me and I was born perfectly fine and healthy. Driving in a car can lead to the death of a fetus. Should a woman who T Boned another car be held accountable for getting into the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting theory.

I think I'll copy this and paste it in the "What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard?" thread.

PoBoy321
10-06-2005, 09:04 PM
It's a stretch, granted, but it brings up a point. There is a chance, however high it might be, that smoking may or may not effect an unborn child. There is also a chance, however high, that getting into a car may or may not effect an unborn child. Same goes with riding a bus, eating a hamburger, using public bathrooms, the list goes on. At what point do we stop and say "Whoa now, we've gotta step in."

goofball
10-06-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove drunk one time and I'm totally fine. It must be ok.

-Skeme-
10-06-2005, 10:35 PM
That doesn't make it okay, it means drinking and driving does not definitely cause harm. Much like smoking while pregnant isn't guaranteed to harm the child. Both are incredibly stupid and definitely have potential to do harm, but that's all.

Saying a pregnant woman smoking is child abuse is stupid.

goofball
10-06-2005, 11:03 PM
turn on your sarcasm detector.

theben
10-06-2005, 11:07 PM
totally stupid bitches

-Skeme-
10-07-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
turn on your sarcasm detector.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I know you were being sarcastic. You were also trying to make a point that my analogy was bad, correct?