PDA

View Full Version : QJo on button

brettbrettr
10-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Hope you guys don't mind if I start posting more here. Seems the biggest donators in my neck of the woods play NL, so now I guess I play NL...

Anyhoo, live 1/2, 7 handed, everyone limps, I limp OTB with QJo ($275), blinds play.

Flop: Q42

Tight-aggressive small blind ($450) bets $15. Weak tight ($175) BB calls. Folded to hero who?

RED FACE
10-06-2005, 02:46 PM
easy fold imo. you're hand just isn't strong and no real draw.

orange
10-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Fold, your not beating much here.

Another option is to raise..but I usually don't like playing OOP in an (potentially) big unraised pot. Plus you have people to act behind you.

etgryphon
10-06-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hope you guys don't mind if I start posting more here. Seems the biggest donators in my neck of the woods play NL, so now I guess I play NL...

Anyhoo, live 1/2, 7 handed, everyone limps, I limp OTB with QJo ($275), blinds play.

Flop: Q42

Tight-aggressive small blind ($450) bets $15. Weak tight ($175) BB calls. Folded to hero who?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold with the caller. Not much to improve to...

-Gryph

j0wlev
10-06-2005, 03:24 PM
He's on the button and closes the betting with a call...

xorbie
10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Playing QJo for top pair is probably not that great. If instead it had gone BB bets and donkish limper calls, I'd probably raise here. But with SB who is tight/agg betting out, I think he's probably on QT+ and with a weak/tight caller, I think it's toughter to put him on a middle PP, but that's always possible too.

10-06-2005, 03:44 PM
1. Maybe minraise to see what the caller does. SB probably isn't going to feel squeezed and will either call or reraise you at which point you can dump it.

2. Never play QJo again for this exact reason. Even when it looks like you've got the odds to do so, the hand you're hoping to flop is either AKT rainbow and pray that it doesn't make a four straight by the end or you're hoping for QQJ at which point you'll get no further action.

With this many players there's a good chance that one of the two is on KQ, or better. A set or even the SB limping with 42o and you're in trouble here. QJo is just a crappy crappy hand for this reason. It gets you into trouble like this where you really have problems reading if you're behind or not.

wdeadwyler
10-06-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Maybe minraise to see what the caller does. SB probably isn't going to feel squeezed and will either call or reraise you at which point you can dump it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Horrible advice IMO. Either raise like you mean it or dont. If tightie is calling here I guess Im folding, though my first instinct was to raise and shut down if anyone calls.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Never play QJo again for this exact reason. Even when it looks like you've got the odds to do so, the hand you're hoping to flop is either AKT rainbow and pray that it doesn't make a four straight by the end or you're hoping for QQJ at which point you'll get no further action.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, horrible advice. qjo is hand that has value, and never playing it again is a leak. Losing big pots with qj as one pair is another leak, as is playing it to most raisers. Plenty of flops help qj, ie 910x, 10kx, jjx, qqx, qjx, qxx, jxx, you just have to know how to play it on all of those flops...