PDA

View Full Version : what do i do about this ticket?

chisness
10-06-2005, 01:23 PM
i'm a sophomore in college and i live about 30 min away so i brought my car to make going home and back easier. until you're a senior you're not allowed to park in the lots between 8am and 430pm, so i have to park on nearby streets.

last night i went to jewel to get food, parked in the lot to bring it in easily, then was planning on going to a friend's dorm to pick up a cd i needed for homework and park on the street when i returned. it turns out i didn't need the cd, so i forgot all about the car in the lot.

i go to class at 10 this morning and see a ticket on my car. i'm running late and only have one class so after class at 11 i pick up the ticket from the car and bring it inside to look at it. it's for $50!! this seems pretty insane -- the lot is empty, they're charging me 25k or so for tuition and almost 3k for food i don't even eat, now they want another $50.

i make a few random phone calls then go out to move the car. i find ANOTHER TICKET for ANOTHER $50! to add insult it takes me 20 min to find a spot and it's only 2 hour parking (it's never been this bad on the streets before).

according to the ticket, they have to be paid or appealed within 10 days and invalid appeals get charged another $10. it also says "vehicles with unsettled notices may be removed from property at the owners/operators expense." does this mean if i don't pay i'll be fine as long as i don't do it again?

should i (a) ignore both or (b) obviously appeal one and pay the other one?

this school will NEVER get a penny from me after i graduate, i can't stand how many dumb fees i'm paying that are useless.

STLantny
10-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Move the car, pay the tickets, read signs better. Unless you actually have connections with anyone on the campus police force, which you dont, Im sure, you are screwed.

swede123
10-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Usually the school will hold your diplomas etc. until you pay up late fees, including tickets and stuff. You can probably make a reasonable case for having the second $50 one tossed out, but you're probably stuck paying the first one.

Swede

jba
10-06-2005, 01:28 PM
so the ticket is from the school?

if so they will hold your grades, not allow you to register, etc, until you pay the tickets or the charges are reversed. You were clearly in the wrong (legally), the tickets will not be reversed.

2+2 wannabe
10-06-2005, 01:29 PM
You're definitely at fault for the first one - it seems like you're at fault for the second one as well

Why didn't you just move the car this morning after you found the first ticket?

The ticket amounts aren't even related to tuition/ancilliary fees. I don't understand the "I pay SO MUCH in tuition/books; why should I pay this ticket?" analogy.

If I were you I'd pay the first one, and try to appeal the second on the terms that you already were given a ticket for being in the lot for the specified time.

tdarko
10-06-2005, 01:32 PM
i would probably just pay it considering i am a lazy moron.

chisness
10-06-2005, 01:33 PM
yeah it's not an analogy saying i shouldn't pay it, it's just frustration that it's quite high for a parking ticket ($10 or $20 or 1/2 off for paying on time would be more reasonable imo)

i didn't move the car because i figured the ticket is valid for the whole day and i had homework due and was already late to class

i guess i'll pay the first one and get the second tossed based on these responses since i don't have much of a choice if the school really will hold things (since it's paid to the bursar that seems likely)

chisness
10-06-2005, 01:34 PM
i didn't read any signs wrong, i made a mistake knowing what the rules were

guess i'll have to pay

2+2 wannabe
10-06-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i didn't move the car because i figured the ticket is valid for the whole day

[/ QUOTE ]

this is understandable - but may not hold up

Brainwalter
10-06-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i didn't move the car because i figured the ticket is valid for the whole day

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have been if you hadn't removed it. As soon as you said you took the ticket off and went inside I knew you were going to get another one, didn't you?

beta1607
10-06-2005, 01:40 PM
You should have never taken the first ticket off the car until you were going to move it. They wouldnt have put the 2nd ticket there if they saw the first one.

When I was at UCLA i had a friend who got a ticket once and kept it in his glove box so whenever he parked in a campus lot without a permit he just put the old ticket up there and nobody gave him a 2nd one.

10-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Fight the second one.

Pay the first.

Mason Hellmuth
10-06-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have never taken the first ticket off the car until you were going to move it. They wouldnt have put the 2nd ticket there if they saw the first one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to say this too, but eventually I discovered it doesn't always work (at Maryland, anyway).

10-06-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to say this too, but eventually I discovered it doesn't always work (at Maryland, anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]\

This typically works for same-day tickets. It's often harder for day- or month-old ones.

10-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Did you know the fine was $50? Apparently not. Appeal the tickets. As others have said, you can probably get the 2nd ticket dismissed. As for the first ticket, admit your error, explain it, and plead college student poverty. Maybe you can get them to reduce the fine.

NoTalent
10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
You better call the

http://dev-null.com/waaambulance.jpg

bwana devil
10-06-2005, 02:58 PM
if i recall my university had a policy that each student got to dismiss one ticket during his student career. no one seemed to know about it though.

bwana

FouTight
10-06-2005, 03:01 PM
don't ever remove a ticket without moving your car, thats is [censored] stupid. wow, that is dumb, seriously, what did you think woudl happen?

2planka
10-06-2005, 03:44 PM
As others have said, you shouldn't have removed the first ticket from your car. Go to the bursar (or whoever you have to see to pay the fine) and explain the situation. Then give the person the hundred bucks. If you don't pay, you'll have an encumberance on your record and you won't be able to receive grades, register for classes, or (possibly) take finals.

FWIW, this happened to me at Purdue as a grad student. I ignored it until I got a nasty note in my paycheck, saying they were withholding the ticket amount from my pay.

dtbog
10-06-2005, 03:53 PM
- Give the tickets to two of your friends.. one each.

- Give said friends $10 each.

- Have them mail back an appeal, stating "this isn't my car."

- Problem solved for $20.

Bulldog
10-06-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it also says "vehicles with unsettled notices may be removed from property at the owners/operators expense." does this mean if i don't pay i'll be fine as long as i don't do it again?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your reading comprehension is this bad, college may not be for you.

chisness
10-06-2005, 07:11 PM
please explain clearly what was wrong with my comprehension of that

sir, i believe you, actually, cannot comprehend what i've said

chisness
10-06-2005, 07:12 PM
i came inside to put my things away, made a call that lasted 8 minutes, then went back outside and had a new ticket

what i expected would happen was absolutely nothing and that i'd move it in a few minutes when i went back

chisness
10-06-2005, 07:14 PM
the thing is i'm not sure if they link the car to me or not -- for all they know, it could be a parent parking it there or they might not even know it was anyone associated with me

CORed
10-06-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the thing is i'm not sure if they link the car to me or not -- for all they know, it could be a parent parking it there or they might not even know it was anyone associated with me

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, the registered owner of a car is respnsible for paying parking tickets, regardless of who actually parked it. If that isn't you, and you never take the car on campus again, maybe you can get away with not paying it, but I wouldn't count on it. If you are the registered owner, I'm sure they will hold degrees and transcripts until you pay. OTOH, maybe they will turn it over to the city, county or state. Generally, if a city issues a parking ticket, and you don't pay it, they will boot the car or impound it. I would follow others' suggestions to pay the first, appeal the second. They might drop the second, but if they want to be bastards, they could make the case that you knew you were in violation when you saw the first ticket and failed to move the car. Most likely, not taking care of the tickets will cost you more than paying them.

CORed
10-06-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
according to the ticket, they have to be paid or appealed within 10 days and invalid appeals get charged another $10. it also says "vehicles with unsettled notices may be removed from property at the owners/operators expense." does this mean if i don't pay i'll be fine as long as i don't do it again?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It means if you don't pay the tickets, and you park on campus again, legally or otherwise, they will tow the car to an impound lot, and if you want it back, you will have to pay the tickets, plus towing charges, plus storage charges, i.e. probably 4 or 5 times what it would have cost you to just pay the tickets.

Bulldog
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It means if you don't pay the tickets, and you park on campus again, legally or otherwise, they will tow the car to an impound lot, and if you want it back, you will have to pay the tickets, plus towing charges, plus storage charges, i.e. probably 4 or 5 times what it would have cost you to just pay the tickets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

FouTight
10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
It's official

OP falls into the catagory of "not too bright"

I was going to give him "naive", but he blew that one.

Tron
10-07-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You better call the

http://dev-null.com/waaambulance.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and ask them if they can bring a waaaaahmburger and some French cries! Then you can wash it down with a Whineken! Roofles

Your Mom
10-07-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When I was at UCLA i had a friend who got a ticket once and kept it in his glove box so whenever he parked in a campus lot without a permit he just put the old ticket up there and nobody gave him a 2nd one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This worked a few times for me, but then it failed. I set some kind of record for parking tickets my first semester at Southwest Missouri State.

Thythe
10-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Sounds like you go to Northwestern, maybe U of I. I remember all of that crazy two hour parking, endless tickets, and various other parking laws. What a nightmare that was.