PDA

View Full Version : Ethics Questions: Job Offers

phil_ivey_fan
10-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Say you get an offer from a company to start working right after new years. But you need to let them know by Nov 1. Is it ethical to accept their offer and keep looking and then drop them when/if a better offer comes along?

k, its not ethical, but who gives a [censored] right?

FouTight
10-06-2005, 11:46 AM
In this world, all is fair in teh job hunt

cdxx
10-06-2005, 11:57 AM
i've done it. i felt terrible about it, no matter how i tried to rationalize the job market. after having been on the hiring side of things, i know it's a shiity thing to do.

no, it's not ethical, the best thing is to talk honestly to the hiring manager. i.e. you want the job but you simply need more time to accept.

canis582
10-06-2005, 11:58 AM
HR people are just as quick to screw you if it suits them.

stabn
10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JonPKibble
10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. F the man!

diebitter
10-06-2005, 12:06 PM
No problem at all if a big business - it's just business. If it's a little show, not a nice thing, but you've got to think of yourself first when it comes to jobs.

jb9
10-06-2005, 12:11 PM
If they are not offering you a contract (i.e., you are an 'at will' employee), then I don't think there is a problem with accepting now and continuing to look since they aren't really guaranteeing you anything.

If you get a better offer, just tell them "I'm sorry, but...". They won't be happy, but they'll get over it. Be professional about it and they shouldn't hold any long term grudges (in case you ever want/need to do business with them).

And if they really want you, maybe they'll make you a better better offer.

2+2 wannabe
10-06-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HR people are much quicker to screw you just because they can.

[/ QUOTE ]

MrMon
10-06-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they are not offering you a contract (i.e., you are an 'at will' employee), then I don't think there is a problem with accepting now and continuing to look since they aren't really guaranteeing you anything.

If you get a better offer, just tell them "I'm sorry, but...". They won't be happy, but they'll get over it. Be professional about it and they shouldn't hold any long term grudges (in case you ever want/need to do business with them).

And if they really want you, maybe they'll make you a better better offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

To continue along this line, without a contract, they also don't owe you anything. If they have a sudden downturn, they'll think nothing of retracting the offer.

Bottom line is, if they aren't committed, you shouldn't be either. But don't burn any bridges. If this is an environment where word can get out that you accepted and reneged, don't do it. Stick it out for 6 months and then leave.