PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Report

Boris
05-21-2003, 10:31 PM
Well folks, here's a report of some of the key hands I played in the Main Event.

Day 1 - first table. No superstars at my table. Antonio the Majician who made the final table at of the WPT events was at my table. He was the only guy I knew. The deck kind of hit me in the face in round 1. I flopped two sets and one flush. Unfortunately I was not able to double through. My stack was never in jeopardy. About half way through the second round they broke our table. At this point I had about $15k. In retrospect I may have played a bit too aggressively. But hey, if they're not gonna pay me off when I have a hand I might as well rob them. My timing was a bit off though.

Day one, table two - I don't know anyone at the table. There are three rank beginners but everyone else seems to play OK. It is a very passive table. My blinds were only raised about one third of the time. I get Aces once and flop another set and I still can't double through. Very frustrating. Here is a recap of the hands the stick out in my mind.

Hand #1 - blinds are 100-200 and I have ~$11,000. There are 4 limpers and I look down to see A-Qo in the small blind. I raise the pot to $1200 and two players call my raise. The first player is, as far as I can tell, a beginner. The second player is definitely more experienced. The flop is A-4-5 with two diamonds. I bet $3000. The P1 calls and the P2 thinks for a moment and then calls. P2 has me covered, P1 does not. The turn is another 4. I think for second. P1 I am not too concerned about. I think he has kicker trouble. P2 might have a monster but I can't believe he wouldn't raise me on the flop because the pot is already big and there are multiple draws on the board. I also think he would've put in a raise at some point with A-K. I put him on a straight+flush draw. I move all my chips in. P1 calls all in and P2 folds. P1 shows A-Q and we chop.

hand 2 - blinds are 100-200. I have QQ utg and raise the pot to $600. The guy on my left re-raises to $1800. He seems to be a solid player and is in the middle of a big rush. I decide to just call. I thought about coming over the top but this guy raised an UTG raiser and is really on a roll so I played more cautiously. The flop is Ace high and I check fold to a $2000 bet.

The first day was 5 rounds (10 hours of play) because of the outrageous number of entrants (830+). I ended the day with $9,600. I just couldn't get the right hands at the right times. Twice I flopped a set in raised pot and an ace high flop and I still couldn't get any good action. On the other hand I probably squandered about $3000 in unsuccessful bluffs. Zigging when I should be zagging. Oh well. I was still in action. Some memorable hands that I wasn't involved in include one guy calling $5,000 before the flop with 9-10o and flopping top two pairs to torture the guy with KK. Another guy called $7,000 on the turn with a gutshot draw and made it to crack top set. Ouch.

Day two - starting day two the blinds were 200-400 with a $50 ante. I definitely needed to double through on the double. My table is OK. some solid players and some loose-aggressives. The table next to me has Daniel Negreanu, Barry Greenstein, Diego Cordovez and Freddy Deeb so I feel fortunate with my seat draw.

hand #3 - I'm down to about $7,000. 3 limpers and I look down at 6-4o in the small blind. I complete. The flop comes a glorious 2-3-5 rainbow and I finally double through for the first time against Aces. I have life!

Hand #4 - 200-400 blinds. Loose-aggressive big stack opens the pot for $1400 and gets 4 callers! I can't believe it. I'm in the big blind and I havn't looked at my cards yet but I'm pretty sure I'll see the flop. I peek down at Ad-Kd. whoohoo! I move and everyone folds.

Hand #5 - Blinds are now 300-600 with a $75 ante. I have about $14000 and am in desperate str8s for chips. My very first hand back from the break I pick up Ad-10d and raise the pot to $2000. sb calls (big stack). flop come K-9-3 with one diamond. sb checks and I move in and win the pot.

Hand #6 - I've managed to increase my stack to ~$22,000 through a series of steals. I pick up 77 in middle position and raise the pot to $2000. Everyone folds to the BB. He looks at his hand and then real quick raises me to $8,500. I look at that raise and the first thing that goes through my head is that he doesn't want me to call. But then I start thinking more rationally and how the hell am I going to make a stand with 77? So I think for about a minute. I really don't think he would make that big raise with a certifiable monster. He has ~$60,000 so trapping would be a decent play against my smaller stack. I also think he would wait to see the flop with a medium pocket pair. I put him on something like A-J. But mostly I just went with my gut feeling that the big raise was meant to blow me out of the pot. Anyways I move all my chips in. If he has big pair then so be it. If he has two over cards then this isn't a bad spot to gamble. I really need to double through at this stage of the tournament. BB calls my bet and turns over A-6s. A six on the flop and six on the river spell Sayonara for Boris in the Big One. Odds wise it was a run of the mill suck-out. But it sure did hurt more than most any beat I've taken in my somewhat brief poker career. Oh well. there's always next year.

jen
05-22-2003, 04:07 AM
Very cool report -- congrats on making it to Day Two!

I just started my NLHE tournament poker career (very unimpressive record I have so far -- for my first tourney, the strong NL player beside me told me that my all-in call that broke me was awful, and in my second tourney, I got bounced within about five minutes of play on the second hand). But after I sink $$$ into a year's worth of NLHE tournaments... maybe I will see you next year. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

nicky g
05-22-2003, 06:30 AM
Well played, Boris. Did the flop that busted you also have two 10s on it by chance?

Boris
05-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Wow! Were you at my table?

nicky g
05-23-2003, 08:34 AM
LOL, I wish! No, the hand was mentioned on www.gutshotwsop.co.uk (http://www.gutshotwsop.co.uk), you were busted by Marcel Luske, a top Dutch player (though I don't like his play there at all).
Well played again.

Ian
05-23-2003, 07:57 PM
This was my first time in the Big Event and I knew that there would be more clueless players than you would find in a typical WPT or other big buy-in event. But the sheer number staggered me. There must have been at least 100 folks like your AQ guy. Phil Ivey doubled up twice in one hour on Day 1, first against an AQ $10,000 opening all-in raise before the flop, then against an all-in call from a post-flop pocket jacks overpair.

You mention you felt pressure to double up on Day 2 when you had about 10x the blinds and antes. This must have been a common sentiment given the fast nature of the play at this stage. I entered Day 2 with a slightly larger than average stack of 21,000, grew it to 24,000 by the end of the first hour, and had a smaller than average stack by that time! Given the long rounds and slowly rising blinds at that stage, I wonder whether the typical fast play was optimal? I myself planned to be patient, but went out in Round 7 when I flopped a monster on the button(top trip tens, ace kicker) against the tournament second chip leader in the BB. Oh well. Wait till next year!