PDA

View Full Version : Progression of an on-line player?

10-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey gents,
I dont like to think I am a beginner as have been playing regularly for just under a year and have progressed reasonably well. However I am certainly neither an expert, nor a particularly advanced player either and I need to improve.
I like to use online poker to make a bit of money.
I only really play no-limit hold'em tournaments and usually play this at single tables small stakes.
However my win rate at the moment is pretty good on these tables($5 or $10).
If i want to progress as a player (and hopefully as an earner), how should i go about it?
Should I go upto bigger stakes single table tournaments?
should I start playing more multi-table tournaments? (probably fairly conservative at first)
Also is playing conservatively in no-limit ring games a good choice?
Also beyond gaining experience at the tables I enjoy reading books such as harrington on holdem to try and advance my game.
Any advice or pointing me to some good threads on how to progress in on-line poker would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a natural p[rogression of what kind of tables you should go on to advance your game?

krimson
10-06-2005, 10:39 AM
There is no "natural progression" to take. Just play what you enjoy playing. If you start getting bored of something or feel like your at a plateau then try something else for a while. If your a good tournament player then you may find trying to progress up through the SNG's helpful to your game.

dogsballs
10-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Lots of good stuff in the 2+2 archives - it'll take you forever to trawl through.

I'd recommend eventually taking a swing at other games (after getting hold of the requisite books first). It's good to get a change and/or jump into a good looking game or tournament when its around.

Just keep winning the sng's and move up when you've got 1000 results at a level and you're solid winner.

pyroponic
10-06-2005, 02:35 PM
It's different for different people. I started playing limit poker somtime around February with some friends and started at the $0.50/$1.00 limit. A couple of people have moved up to $1/2, one is at $2/4, on is at $5/10 6-max, and one is at $10/20 6-max (all multi-tabling). How fast you move up is simply a function of several factors: talent, ambition, time spent playing/studying, and luck.