PDA

View Full Version : George Foreman Grill

Ulysses
05-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Boy, that is one amazing cooking device.

M2d
05-21-2003, 08:34 PM
it doesn't dry out what you're cooking?

Jimbo
05-21-2003, 09:23 PM
I agree Ulysses, easy cleanup, cooks evenly and quick.

Homer
05-22-2003, 11:26 AM
This must be sarcasm...

marbles
05-22-2003, 12:30 PM
If you like your bacon crispy, throw it on there. FYI, the little tray they give you is just big enough to handle the grease discharged from one pound of bacon.

JTG51
05-22-2003, 01:41 PM
This must be sarcasm...

Actually, I doubt it is. Have you ever used one? They really are great.

JTG51
05-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Surprisingly, no it doesn't dry out the food. It makes some of the juiciest chicken you'll ever have.

Homer
05-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I've used one. It took a quality piece of meat and dried it out so much so that it was inedible.

Perhaps they have come out with a newer, much, much, much better version in the past year or so (mine is about that old)?

-- Homer

JTG51
05-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Maybe you cooked it too long? Things to cook much faster than normal on there. I've always had good results.

Ulysses
05-22-2003, 05:07 PM
I was given one about a month ago. I've cooked chicken, pork, steak, salmon, and tuna on it. All have come out great. I was most worried about the chicken being dry, but it came out juicy and delicious. FWIW, I marinated most of the meat, so perhaps that is a factor.

Here are some handy grilling charts: Grilling Charts (http://www.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/16273.xml)

Ulysses
12-13-2003, 01:25 AM
So, I've decided to buy one of the deluxe grills, so maybe this won't be an issue then.

But until I actually get that purchased....

How do you fellow George Foreman grill owners make cheeseburgers with the standard grill? When my burger is almost done, I put some cheese on it then kind of hold the top part of the grill over the burger until the cheese melts. This works really well, but it seems like a somewhat primitive technique and I'm not sure that George would approve.

Any suggestions?

banditbdl
12-13-2003, 02:39 AM
Okay, I don't mean to be a prick, but I'm curious as to why the George Foreman over a regular grill and if maybe you have both? Is it because you have no where to put/use a regular grill? For its fat eliminating capabilites? Ease of use? Cost? Better taste? I'm just curious because as a student I have neither a Foreman or a regular grill, but I know as soon as I get my own place one of the very first things I'm doing is getting a grill, maybe I'll get both if its worth it, I know the Foreman's are pretty cheap.

adios
12-13-2003, 02:40 AM
Finishing it off in the microwave might work. Probably less messy.

daryn
12-13-2003, 02:41 AM
throw it in a microwave after grilling

i for one have never been a fan of the cheeseburger.. i just really don't think a slice of cheese enhances a burger all that much. i'd rather have something like sauteed mushrooms and onions on a burger, or bleu cheese or bbq sauce... love the outback baby

Ulysses
12-13-2003, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I don't mean to be a prick, but I'm curious as to why the George Foreman over a regular grill and if maybe you have both? Is it because you have no where to put/use a regular grill?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I have a regular grill as well.

[ QUOTE ]
For its fat eliminating capabilites?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I think that is overrated. Especially if you buy cuts of meat that are pretty lean in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
Ease of use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Here's how you grill a piece of beef, chicken, fish, etc. Turn on the grill. Wait a couple of minutes for it to warm up. Toss the meat on the grill. Cook it in less time than any other method (see grilling charts in one of my previous charts). Eat the juicy and delicious meat (or vegetable or whatever else you want to cook).

[ QUOTE ]
maybe I'll get both if its worth it, I know the Foreman's are pretty cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real grills are cool for when you're having a BBQ or something. But for just cooking some everyday food, the George Foreman grill rules. Especially if you're lazy.

Ulysses
12-13-2003, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Finishing it off in the microwave might work. Probably less messy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm... Microwave. That is somewhat ingenious. But I'm not sure George would approve of putting the perfectly grilled meat into the microwave. Still, I guess it's not very long. I think this might be the only flaw of the George Foreman grill. In a regular grill, you can just stick stuff on top and the ambient heat will melt it. Maybe the George Foreman grill needs some sort of "melting prop stand" or something.

As for the messiness, with a sponge, cleanup of the Foreman grill is trivial no matter what you cook.

Ulysses
12-13-2003, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
throw it in a microwave after grilling

i for one have never been a fan of the cheeseburger.. i just really don't think a slice of cheese enhances a burger all that much. i'd rather have something like sauteed mushrooms and onions on a burger, or bleu cheese or bbq sauce... love the outback baby

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you do know that blue cheese is cheese right? Just wondering. I'm a big fan of cheeseburgers, but I hear what you're saying. Here in California, we're pretty much at the epicenter of putting all sorts of stuff on burgers. I'm a big fan of cheese on burgers, but also like BBQ burgers, onions, mushrooms, etc. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, I'm really drunk right now. Went to a Christmas party, then came home and played a couple of hours of online poker. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Won $300 and realized it was not really actually that good of an idea. Now off w/ some friends for a second round of drinking.

Thanks for the burger suggestions.

Ulysses
12-13-2003, 03:09 AM
You know what else rules? Blue cheese melted on potato chips. Buckhead Diner in Atlanta does it the best, but you can figure it out yourself. Awesome.

kdog
12-13-2003, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you fellow George Foreman grill owners make cheeseburgers with the standard grill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just flip the top up and put on the cheese. As long as it's plugged in it's on (a flaw imo) and there's plenty of heat to melt a piece of cheese.

M2d
12-13-2003, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here in California, we're pretty much at the epicenter of putting all sorts of stuff on burgers. I'm a big fan of cheese on burgers, but also like BBQ burgers, onions, mushrooms, etc. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've gotta go to Mike's if you're ever in the North bay during the day. The best burgers I've ever had. Plus, it's at the cattle auction yard in Petaluma so you know the beef's fresh.
http://www.mikesburgers.com/Yard.htm

banditbdl
12-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks, sounds good for when I'm feeling lazy (which is often), I'll have to check them out.

daryn
12-13-2003, 01:22 PM
i do realize that bleu cheese is cheese.. i noticed that when i was typing the post, but then i looked up to my statement and it said that i'm not a fan of putting a slice of cheese on a burger.. so i figured my statement was consistent. when i think slice of cheese i think your standard american, cheddar, swiss, etc.

Ulysses
02-20-2004, 02:45 AM
So, I go to this birthday party around 7pm tonight. I figure we all will go out to dinner afterwards. Around 9pm I realize that most everyone there is either an investment banker or options trader who started work at 5 or 6am and had dinner at 5pm. After a lot of beer and Jameson's, I finally leave around 10pm. I come home and decide to toss some excellent fresh salmon on the George Foreman grill. Instead of the standard lemon juice and butter, I decide to brush on some KC Masterpiece mesquite BBQ sauce. 4 minutes later, it's ready. Damn, that was delicious.

Then I went out and had some Ginger infused vodka. My friend had some Pineapple infused Sauza commerorativo. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Now I'm back home drinking some cask strenght Macallan. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

OK, time for some poker.

Jim Kuhn
02-20-2004, 02:57 AM
The George Foreman is great for a quick, single serving. Everyone should have one! They are cheaper if you buy in bulk! Click on this link for the cheapest and best George Foreman grills:

www.cheapforemangrills.com (http://www.cheapforemangrills.com)

Enjoy!

Ulysses
02-20-2004, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The George Foreman is great for a quick, single serving. Everyone should have one!

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, I am in complete agreement there, Jim. But you may not have seen the newest George Foreman grills. They can take care of much more than a single serving now!

Jezebel
02-20-2004, 02:01 PM
I had several people go on and on about the GF grill and how I was just going to HAVE to get one. Got one from the inlaws for Christmas.

PEOPLE, ITS A FREAKING WAFFLE IRON!!! How an ex-boxer convinced so many people to go out and buy an overpriced waffle iron AND THEN throw an expensive piece of meat on it is totally beyond me. Give me a grill every time. It just doesn't feel right standing around a waffle iron with a beer, shooting the bull like you do with a grill. I mentioned this to someone who told me they now have an "outdoor" model! Unbelievable. A giant outdoor waffle iron.

Eazy cleanup? Are you kidding? Not nearly as easy as my grill. A couple of rubs with the steel brush and shes ready to go again. With the waffle iron I end up with the thimble sized tray they provide filled to the top with grease. I now have to pick up the 'thimble' and carry it like nitro glycerin to the sink. THat is if the damn thing doesn't get knocked over first during cooking. My grill, the juices just hit the brickettes and turn to smoke adding flavor to my dinner.

And cleaning the cooking surface of the waffle iron? Well, you can't put it in the sink, so you end up cleaning it on the countertop. Most of the grease and stuff gets all over the countertops while your cleaning it.

The GF waffle iron that we have is also just big enough that it doesn't really fit into any cabinet easily, so it resides on the countertop taking up space. Boy, I love that thing.

adios
02-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Has George come out with his favorites entrees that he cooks on his grill and how he prepares them? Perhaps there's a George Foreman cook book or something like that. I've found the grill really nice for a steak and egg breakfast in the morning. Just the steak part of course.

adios
02-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Well I've got one of those Coleman portable grills that I take on day trips and I use it for home. This one is harder to clean than than George Forman appliance. I've had some grills strictly for home use and I've never been that satisfied with just cleaning them with a steel brush. Perhaps I don't have the right technique or maybe I'm too picky. Also the glass on the cover is usually difficult to clean and periodically I have to clean the entire grill. So one of the features than I like about the Forman grill is that I find it easier to clean. I mean if I'm entertaining company and cooking a meal I prefer the outdoor grill.

Ulysses
02-20-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How an ex-boxer convinced so many people to go out and buy an overpriced waffle iron AND THEN throw an expensive piece of meat on it is totally beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, George Foreman rules.

[ QUOTE ]
Give me a grill every time. It just doesn't feel right standing around a waffle iron with a beer, shooting the bull like you do with a grill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course a grill is better. When friends are over for a BBQ, of course you want to use the grill. But I can plug in the George Foreman and have a tasty grilled chicken breast ready in about 5 minutes. Just can't beat that convenience.

[ QUOTE ]
Eazy cleanup? Are you kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]

A sponge. That's the answer.

[ QUOTE ]
I now have to pick up the 'thimble' and carry it like nitro glycerin to the sink.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that's pretty funny and accurate.

Ulysses
02-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Yes, I believe George has a cookbook. A google search on "George Foreman recipes" will point you to that as well as countless pages w/ GF grill recipes.