PDA

View Full Version : 10 $ live SnG bubble play

sunek
10-06-2005, 03:38 AM
Hi

The more I think about this hand the more I dislike the way I played it. We are a group of people who meets once a week to play 10 $ NL tournaments or micro limit NL cash games. This means that we know each others way of playing much better than you do when you play online SnGs.

This is the situation:

Blinds are currently 150/300 and will increase to 200/400 in two hands. Prices are like a normal 10 $ SnG: 20$/30$/50$.

CO: TightMathematician 2500 $
Button: Hero 1075 $
SB: SuperAgrassivePlayer 425 $
BB: NewLuckyFish 6000 $

I was in the lead early in the tournament with about 3000 $ but had been struck by bad flops, unlucky rivers and had been catching bad hands for the last 15 hands and have not played any of them.
SuperAgrassivePlayer was chipleader until a few hands ago but was beaten badly by NewLuckyFish.
NewLuckyFish had played with us 5 times and had been paying off all the times. 8 hands ago he was down to 325 $ in chips but had caught good hands ever since (most of them went to show down). During these 8 hands he eliminated 2 opponents, crippled the chip leader and became the new chip leader with 60% of all the chips in play (stuff like that does not happen every day – or every month for that matter).

Enough talk; now to the actual hand:

CO folds
Hero on the button with AKo goes all in
SuperAgrassivePlayer folds
NewLuckyFish calls.

I knew that NewLuckyFish would call with any reasonable hand, and this would give me the chance to double up.

The reason I don’t like my play is this; even though AKo is one of the strongest starting hands it offers no guarantee of success. On top of that there was no way SuperAgrassivePlayer would call me unless he had a monster since my table image is tight aggressive – besides he would hope that I was kicked out so that he could get in the money.

So a better play would be call because SuperAgrassivePlayer would push with any reasonable hand hoping to triple his hand, since I have not shown any strength. NewLuckyFish would probably call or raise no matter what. This strategy could get me in the money in two ways: if I win SuperAgrassivePlayer would be eliminated and I would be back in business. And if NewLuckyFish wins I would get the 3 price since I had more chips before I was kicked out. Obviously I can’t be sure that SuperAgrassivePlayer would not fold but chances are much bigger if I had called instead of pushing.

The only problem is that the later strategy first occurred to me on the way home with empty pockets.

Do you agree that the later play would be the correct in the given situation?

Thank you

Best Regards

sunek

caretaker1
10-06-2005, 04:59 AM
Interesting hand. Good hand, but SB will likely be going all-in if you don't here and will be called. Not sure what's best here.

$.02

splashpot
10-06-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting hand. Good hand, but SB will likely be going all-in if you don't here and will be called. Not sure what's best here.

$.02

[/ QUOTE ]
He wants SB to go all in. If you really do think that the BB will call with almost anything, it is much better to just call here hoping to get a 3 way all in.