PDA

View Full Version : What are some old but good PC games?

j0ep0ker
10-06-2005, 02:53 AM
I want GTA 1 but I can't find it. I have half life 1 but it doesnt run that good. Is there any other good first person shooters that would run better than half lifeo n my PC? What about red faction? What are some other good games?

gildwulf
10-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Monkey Islands 1-4

Any game by Blizzard

Voltron87
10-06-2005, 02:55 AM
deus ex

Ringo_Mojo
10-06-2005, 02:56 AM
No One Lives Forever

mmmmmbrother
10-06-2005, 02:57 AM
anything you get is going to seem stupid. doom is teh pwn. i guess if you havent done the whole dukenukem when you were like 13 then that to

j0ep0ker
10-06-2005, 02:57 AM
What is starcraft and wrcraft like? I have never played them before.

siccjay
10-06-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just get a computer last week?

j0ep0ker
10-06-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no lol... im just not a gaymer

PoBoy321
10-06-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Monkey Islands 1-4

Any game by LucasArts

[/ QUOTE ]

10-06-2005, 03:07 AM
counterstrike is tight

gildwulf
10-06-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no lol... im just not a gaymer

[/ QUOTE ]

gaymer=

http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/speakers/pics/simmons-r.jpg

+

http://www.gutshot.com/wsop/2004/images/fossilman.jpg

LoaferGee12
10-06-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Strategy games. Gather resources, build buildings/units and go to war Think that about sums it up. Good multi-player. I think CS is more fun but you definitely need a fast computer/connection for that.

PS: starcraft is the [censored].

j0ep0ker
10-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Remember... i dont have a good PC... half life 1 doesnt run smoothly but it runs... If you know a good game that doesnt require as muc has half life then post please.

freehat
10-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Paperboy

j0ep0ker
10-06-2005, 03:22 AM
not THAT old man

Vavavoom
10-06-2005, 04:17 AM
The Leisuresuit Larry Series...

If u want old school RPG - Play Rogue (Ms-Dos)

send_the_msg
10-06-2005, 04:20 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html

that has some, and it has GTA 1 and 2 download links

note: marathon should be everyone's first download

gobboboy
10-06-2005, 04:29 AM
X-Com, UFO Defense. Best computer game ever made.

rlr
10-06-2005, 04:32 AM
LodeRunner
Karateka

or Doom ][, Quake, Quake 3
Ultima IV and V
Might and Magic 2-4

10-06-2005, 04:34 AM
Any of the old Lucasarts titles have good graphics and run good on old computers.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any other good first person shooters

[/ QUOTE ]
Hard to go past Leisure Suit Larry imo.

edit: crap I'm too slow on both counts

10-06-2005, 12:48 PM
It's really old... but such a classic.

Masters of Magic

...or.. uhm.. MoM for short.

imported_anacardo
10-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Done this one many times, but one more won't hurt.

Best PC Games

Ultimas IV-VII.V
X-Com
Civilization III (IV coming out in a matter of weeks!)
Planescape:Torment
Fallouts I & II
Star Control II
Monkey Island
Wing Commander: Privateer

That's a pretty good list. If I forgot anything come down on me with the full force of the law, so long as it's not a real-time strategy base-builder or a first-person shooter, in which case take a hike, son, take a hike.

10-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Civ 3 owns my soul.

imported_anacardo
10-06-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Civ 3 owns my soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're god-damned right it does.

Will we survive Civ 4?

gorie
10-06-2005, 01:21 PM
WINTER GAMES
SUMMER GAMES
CALIFORNIA GAMES
CLUBHOUSE SPORTS

and monkey island and starcraft,duh.

MrWookie47
10-06-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeed, sir. You have great taste.

swede123
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much, yeah. The original Doom probably gets my runner up vote here, though I could be talked into giving the honors to Masters of Magic.

Swede

imported_anacardo
[ QUOTE ]
WINTER GAMES
SUMMER GAMES
CALIFORNIA GAMES
CLUBHOUSE SPORTS

[/ QUOTE ]
In 1986 Summer Games was my abiding four-year-old passion, even though the only events I could do well in were the 100-yard dash and platform diving. Memories:

The little pixelated doves flying off at the torch ceremony...
The incredibly loud 2-bit PC Speaker Olympic Theme...
The interminable boot times...
The way the pole vault event crashed every single time...
Ah.

Los Feliz Slim
10-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Did anyone play Wizardry in the 80's? I loved that game.

gorie
10-06-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WINTER GAMES
SUMMER GAMES
CALIFORNIA GAMES
CLUBHOUSE SPORTS

[/ QUOTE ]
In 1986 Summer Games was my abiding four-year-old passion, even though the only events I could do well in were the 100-yard dash and platform diving. Memories:

Ah.

[/ QUOTE ]

pole vault didn't crash for me, that was one of my favorite events! i loved the last event, where you shoot the clay discs, what's that called ? i forget.

pokerdirty
10-06-2005, 01:30 PM
nhl 95

thread over.

swede123
10-06-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nhl 95

thread over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports games were meant for consoles, not PC.

Swede

Benal
10-06-2005, 01:36 PM
The original Unreal Tournament is a great FPS. Still a ton of people playing it online too.

pokerdirty
10-06-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nhl 95

thread over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports games were meant for consoles, not PC.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

you obviously haven't played the perfection that is nhl 95

lgas
10-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Thexder
The Bard's Tale (1-3)
Zork (all of them)

TheBlueMonster
10-06-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Monkey Islands 1-4

Any game by LucasArts

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sam and Max Hit the Road.....
hands down my favorite game.

MarkL444
10-06-2005, 02:03 PM
go get starcraft now!
also sim city 2000

TheCroShow
10-06-2005, 02:27 PM
starcraft is shitty, do not play it if you are new to it. you will have one look and will say "wtf why do ppl like this POS game?"

wouldn't say it's collecting dust like previous games mentioned, but Prince of Persia is a good one. The Command and Conquer series is good if you like real-time strategy games.

Here is the title to end the thread, I have this title sitting in my cd spool: The Oregon Trail, thread over

Voltron87
10-06-2005, 02:28 PM
the command and conquer series, it is an rts but its AWESOME

the heroes of might and magic series, thats turn based but also the [censored]. anyone else play it? i used to love it.

pokerdirty
10-06-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the command and conquer series, it is an rts but its AWESOME

the heroes of might and magic series, thats turn based but also the [censored]. anyone else play it? i used to love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neverwinter Nights is a fav, but i feel like that's still not old enough yet to be included in this thread.

imported_anacardo
10-06-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WINTER GAMES
SUMMER GAMES
CALIFORNIA GAMES
CLUBHOUSE SPORTS

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah.

[/ QUOTE ]

pole vault didn't crash for me, that was one of my favorite events! i loved the last event, where you shoot the clay discs, what's that called ? i forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

SKEET SKEET SKEET

Skeet shooting.

GetThere1Time
10-06-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm also all for the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Takes for-ev-er though

Action Scott
10-06-2005, 02:38 PM
The orginal Legend of Zelda (I realize it's for nintendo, but you can get an NES emulator for pc and play it)...BEST GAME EVER

Voltron87
10-06-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also all for the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Takes for-ev-er though

[/ QUOTE ]

freaking addictive, some of the games can get our of hand and take forever, especially on the big maps. still great though.

i lost my version 2 + expansion cd, im still trying to find it on a torrent.

rohjoh
10-06-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WINTER GAMES
SUMMER GAMES

[/ QUOTE ]

The begining of my current caprel tunnel problem(20 years ago).

canis582
10-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Here are two old games that you will certainly enjoy:

Pirates!
and
Worms

TheCroShow
10-06-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here are two old games that you will certainly enjoy:

Pirates!
and
Worms

[/ QUOTE ]

how could i forget worms!??!?! that game is GREAT

Blarg
10-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic II. A turn-based strat game that's pretty much infinitely replayable. Great fun. There are a bunch of HOMM games, including some that aren't turn-based strats, so get the right one. The first one was also fun, but the third one was supposedly unbalanced.

X-COM -- another turn-based strat game that was actually very scary at some points. Always a top candidate for best game ever.

Descent and Descent II. First person shooters where you're in a spaceship. You can also switch to third person if you want. Better than regular FPS's where you're a dude running around, to me, because you can move freely in all directions, not just run on a more or less horizontal plane like humans can. Dogfights are much harder, and more fun. It helps to have a really good spatial sense to play it so you don't get disoriented, but you don't need to be practically able to fly a real plane, like you do with many flight sims. This is all action, and it's great fun!

You don't need a good computer by today's standards to run them. X-COM is pretty old, and will be butter smooth on anything that came out within the last five years, if not more.

Blarg
10-06-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to think of a more perfect game.

swede123
10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know this has been posted in the past but I figured it was worth a repost for all the people who don't yet know the greatness that is X-Com. There is this website named the-underdogs.org which specializes in keeping classic games alive. From this site you can download the full version of X-Com (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4966) , playable from XP. Just be warned, once you get going you're going to waste a good three or four days (at least) playing it until the end.

Cheers,

Swede

Colonel Kataffy
10-06-2005, 05:16 PM
The best answer to this question is BATTLE BUGS.

diebitter
10-06-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, nice hand!

There's a more obscure one - English - called hardwar. Anyone heard of that? It's like elite, but set on one planet rather than a universe. If the cops are chasing you and you are getting away, a video pops up of the cop in pursuit, who says in a snotty English accent, 'oh, think we're a bit tasty, do we, sir?'

Pretty good game.

Voltron87
10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
if anyone is interested

heroes of might and magic 2 gold torrent (http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3266319)

heroes 3 complete (http://torrentspy.com/directory.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=217795&query= heroes+of+might+and+magic)

neither of the torrents are that fast, but they'll putter along and get it done.

Blarg
10-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the link! I have both the original verions, but wouldn't mind having this game forever, and these versions are the ones updated for WIN95, which should be better than the ones I have.

Here's a quote from the site about X-COM.

[ QUOTE ]
The game is broken up into two main areas. As the commander of X-COM (a multi-national committee established to thwart an alien invasion), the player must construct facilities to house soldiers and research new technologies, while tracking alien movements and attacking their ships and troops. As more corpses and artifacts are recovered, scientists can be employed to learn more about the invasion and its origins. And every time the game starts to slow down a bit, a new piece of information will be delivered that creates a newfound sense of excitement and makes every battle seem that much more vital. Countless games later, the fun still hasn't diminished, and X-COM has held a proud position on my measly 400MB hard drive for almost two years.

If you call yourself a gamer but don't own X-COM, your collection has a more glaring gap than Ernest Borgnine's smile. Put simply, X-COM is a bona fide modern classic

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg
10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if anyone is interested

heroes of might and magic 2 gold torrent (http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3266319)

heroes 3 complete (http://torrentspy.com/directory.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=217795&query= heroes+of+might+and+magic)

neither of the torrents are that fast, but they'll putter along and get it done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, there are repeated comments that the game can only be played multi-player if you don't have the CD. It's probably most useable at this point as a stand alone, though, not multiplayer.

Blarg
10-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Another review, to continue the X-COM love fest, from Gamespot:

"It's a bug hunt..." One of the all time greats.
Fanboy dreams everywhere are finally realized as you pit your team of super soldiers against an alien invasion of Earth. X-Com: UFO Defense perfectly blended real time elements, squad level combat, a few scares, and a hell of a lot of fun to become one of the best titles of all time.

The game begins, innocently enough, with reports of flying saucers buzzing the globe and crashing in remote areas. Through a global interface, you begin funding a small, highly skilled team of soldiers and scientists to combat this threat. This "Geoscape" allows you to construct new base facilities, hire/fire personnel, research technologies, and actually launch fighters to inctercept threats.

The Geoscape in of itself offered one of the more compelling game experiences in the 90's. Not only could you develop bases, but your actions (in real time) affected how nations funded your team. Stop an attack on US soil and watch your funding leap through the roof. Arrive hours late to prevent a citizen slaughter in Bejing and gaze in horror as the aliens form a pact with China and pull all funding! As your research evolves (see below) and your coverage expands, you'll actually discover alien bases in remote areas, see UFO flight paths, and begin to understand their baffling movements. The Geoscape also give you limited control of interceptor/UFO aerial combat, and lets you coordinate multple ships against gigantic command-ship style UFO's.

All of this action topside leads to the incredibly well done squad level combat missions. Your group of X-Com agents lands in a remote area, complete with weather and lighting conditions. You'll cringe as you watch your landing craft approach Moscow, only to realize in angst that you'll be hunting your opponents in the waning hours of dusk... All your team members have a hefty amount of stats to assist in their fight against the Martians, including speed, accuracy, morale, stamina, physical strength, etc. Team members can include medics, heavy weapons experts, hand to hand fighters (that's for the maniac in all of us), and snipers. A hefty array of weapons, grenades, gizmos and more allow for a dizzying array of load out options. If that wasn't enough, small tank-like automated weapons platforms can also be deployed, giving you that extra edge. Your team members also accrue experience from one mission to the next, so your veteran sergeant can shoot the wings off a gnat at 500 yards...

Feeling confident? Good, because this is where all hell breaks looses, and X-Com becomes one of the greatest games ever. The turn based combat that folows is very, very well done. Line of sight, covering corners, suppresive fire, and breaching all had better be in your vocabulary, because the aliens are waiting for you. The screams of the dying and wounded will begin to fill your comlinks as the aliens ambush you at every turn. Their numbers are many, weapons advanced, and methods lethal. Squad members are mind controlled, turning their own weapons against you, crew members are turned into flesh eating zombies, and lasers liquify your guys from the inside out as you hunker down and pray for it to all be over. A clever system of interrupts allows you to prevent this to a certain extent, and the game rewards non-reckless play in spades. Saving a few action points so you can blow away the slavering Chrysalid that's about to waste Sarge will feel pretty good after you planned for it.

The mission objectives vary from clearing out UFO's, to halting an attack against the populace in major areas. Once this is taken care of (and your team isn't laying dead on the ground), you have the option to recover and study live aliens, dead aliens, and their equipment. This research portion of the game is critical, as it wll allow you to understand your opponents and, more importantly, use their own weapons against them. Your personal weapons will get better, fighters gain speed, and you can even have your soldiers venture into psychic warefare with "the grays." The research team will even devlop a "UFOpedia", a quck reference of dissected alliens, tech, and weapons.

The whole game is built on a very solid, clean interface which delivered an amazing amount of material. Graphically it delivered on virtually all fronts, with differing envrionments, a great GUI, and creative opponenets. The "3d" sprite engine allowed you to blow up terrain, shoot through walls, and added many tactical elements that are STILL not in current tactical games. A marvel in design for it's time.

Sound was solid, particularly as an atmosphere setter. The aliens made so bizzare and chilling noises, far off doors opened, and screams are chilling as innocents meet their fate before you can save them. Music was a little bland, but strong enough to deliver.

Value is immense, again in a game of it's time. The campaign could litteraly take months, and practically anyone will be tempted for multiple play throughs based on the diverse amount of options. The extreme free-form nature of the game and random elements (ie, crash sites different, place site of bases, etc) ensures that no game is the same. The one "damn I wish they had this" feature would be co-op multiplayer so you could take on the bad guys with a friend.

All in all, X-Com: UFO defense stands as one of the greatest games ever made. The fact that the sequal (Terror From the Deep) was practically an exact carbon-copy shows how successful the formula was on the first go around. If they remade this game the exact same way today with new graphics and sound, I'd buy it for $100... it's that good. Any gamer should try it and experience a truly satisfying game. Here's hoping we get a chance at another one sometime soon.

Voltron87
10-06-2005, 05:49 PM
i think the idea is that you find a crack or patch somewhere on the internet. i actually bought both of those games a while ago so i have no qualms doing so.

PocketJokers72
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone play Wizardry in the 80's? I loved that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Yeah! Especially with the 'die and resurrect' bug that gave you full experience...50th level or something like that.

Blarg
10-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Me too. I have HOMMM 1 and 2, as well as XCOM 1 and 2.

j0ep0ker
10-07-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html

that has some, and it has GTA 1 and 2 download links

note: marathon should be everyone's first download

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thanks.

Which one of the shooters everyone mentioned has a story mode and online multiplayer and will run smooth?

LoaferGee12
10-07-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Worms

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderwes
10-07-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Worms

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to think I can beat a majority of Worms players (the original game).