PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Bagwell, where did I miss something?

johnnybeef
10-06-2005, 02:45 AM
I just saw on Sportscenter that he pinch hit in this game.....?????? I thought he was there best player (besides the younger Lance berkman possibly.) I don't follow the NL much until the playoffs being from Northern Ohio and all.

Aceshigh7
10-06-2005, 02:57 AM
Bags has had a degenerative shoulder condition for a few years. Earlier this year it got to where it was so painful he couldn't raise his arm at all.

He had surgery in June as a last ditch effort with the very real possibility that he would never play baseball again. The surgery was successful and he can now hit and has better range of motion. However he still can't throw at all and there is no way of telling if he will be able to next year. The guy has been money in pinch hitting role since returning. Hopefully he can be a DH once we make the world series. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

They say even this latest surgery is only a stop-gap solution. He will need a total shoulder replacement once he retires.

sammysusar
10-06-2005, 08:42 AM
quit living in the past, man bags has sucked for years. (just kidding). there's so many baseball players its alot harder to keep track. i knew bags was on the decline did not know he no longer started.

Jack of Arcades
10-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, he can't throw anymore. Actually, he hasn't been able to throw for 3 years...

10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Bags hasn't been our best player in a few years now.

On a side note, I'm amazed at what Biggio has done this year, being 2 years older than Bags. He set a career high this year with 26 bombs at age 39, and has hit 50 bombs over the last two years.

The guy is a living legend. F Derek Jeter and the East-Coast bias, this guy IMO is "Mr. Baseball" The poster boy for how to play the game right. Craig Biggio.

I was never a huge Biggio fan until these last few years...he just keeps amazing me. I really am going to miss him when he retires. He's definitely "Mr. Astro", and it's not close. I look forward to telling my future kids that I got to watch this guy play live once.

pokerdirty
10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bags hasn't been our best player in a few years now.

On a side note, I'm amazed at what Biggio has done this year, being 2 years older than Bags. He set a career high this year with 26 bombs at age 39, and has hit 50 bombs over the last two years.

[/ QUOTE ]

sterrrrr-ooiiidddssss

[ QUOTE ]
The guy is a living legend. F Derek Jeter and the East-Coast bias, this guy IMO is "Mr. Baseball" The poster boy for how to play the game right. Craig Biggio.

I was never a huge Biggio fan until these last few years...he just keeps amazing me. I really am going to miss him when he retires. He's definitely "Mr. Astro", and it's not close. I look forward to telling my future kids that I got to watch this guy play live once.

[/ QUOTE ]

yawn.

10-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Biggio is on steroids...

You mean like the Cream that Sheffield use(d/s), or the HGH that "THE GIAMBINO" has Jeter inject into his ass?

pokerdirty
10-06-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Biggio is on steroids...

You mean like the Cream that Sheffield use(d/s), or the HGH that "THE GIAMBINO" has Jeter inject into his ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh come on, you know i'm joking

Jack of Arcades
10-06-2005, 06:22 PM
This has been your only good post. Biggio's an inner-circle HOFer.

andyfox
10-06-2005, 07:04 PM
The class born in 1968 is getting old. The only two players still at the top of their game are Jeff Kent and Gary Sheffield. The rest, (e.g., Baerga, Olerud, Alomar, Piazza, Williams, Knoblauch, Sosa, Snow) are either retired or close to it.

wonderwes
10-06-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, he can't throw anymore. Actually, he hasn't been able to throw for 3 years...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bagwell basically had surgery to get an entirely new shoulder/arm. His condition was getting worse as each year went on in his hitting #'s and basic fielding plays.

Though he seems to be healthy now, and he is one of my favorite Astros hitters. Pinch hitting might actually be the best role for him right now.

If you see him on TV, notice his stance while in the batters box. This guy streches his legs out nearly all the way when he sits in the box.

andyfox
10-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm a Yankee fan and a big Jeter fan and I agree with everything you say about Biggio. An underrated great player in his prime, one of the best players in the game. Should be a first ballot HOFer.

2+2 wannabe
10-06-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The class born in 1968 is getting old. The only two players still at the top of their game are Jeff Kent and Gary Sheffield. The rest, (e.g., Baerga, Olerud, Alomar, Piazza, Williams, Knoblauch, Sosa, Snow) are either retired or close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Olerud is clutch

10-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks, Mr. Backhandedcompliment!

10-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Don't forget Big Frank (Born on same day as Bagwell, and have eerily similar stats).

When healthy this monster is still a threat.

andyfox
10-06-2005, 11:42 PM
There was one day not so long ago when Thomas and Bagwell had the same number of career home runs.

Not that they're bad now, but the White Sox would have one helluva team with a healthy Thomas batting in front of Konerko.