PDA

View Full Version : Chipotle and people not living on the west coast.

brassnuts
10-05-2005, 11:22 PM
I see a lot people jocking of Chipotle fairly hard here on 2+2, and it seems like the majority of it comes from people living in the eastern United States. I recently ate at Chipotle for the first time. I just moved back to Santa Barbara this summer, and I'm not sure if it was here before. Regardless, I was surprised to see the restaurant, as I actually first heard of it on the forums.

Anyways, I enjoyed the burrito, though it seemed pretty run of the mill for this area. I don't think it warrants all of the praise it gets. I'm sure some people will flame me for this post, but don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bash Chipotle. I just wonder if maybe it's overrated in areas with less Mexicans because it's the only decent Mexican food to get. For what it's worth, I live about a half mile from a locally owned Mexican food chain called Super Cucas (#1 if anyone was wondering) and personally prefer their food.

bravos1
10-05-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see a lot people jocking of Chipotle fairly hard here on 2+2, and it seems like the majority of it comes from people living in the eastern United States. I recently ate at Chipotle for the first time. I just moved back to Santa Barbara this summer, and I'm not sure if it was here before. Regardless, I was surprised to see the restaurant, as I actually first heard of it on the forums.

Anyways, I enjoyed the burrito, though it seemed pretty run of the mill. I don't think it warrants all of the praise it gets. I'm sure some people will flame me for this post, but don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bash Chipotle. I just wonder if maybe it's overrated in areas with less Mexicans because it's the only decent Mexican food to get. For what it's worth, I live about a half mile from a locally owned Mexican food chain called Super Cucas (#1 if anyone was wondering) and personally prefer their food.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted something similar a few days ago.. Chipotle is just like baja fresh or any other run of the mill mexican place here on the west coast. It might be great for those who have never had "real" mexican before, but there are WAY too many mexican places for me to eat before I even think of Chipotle.

brassnuts
10-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Sorry, I missed your thread. I just saw a pic of a Chipotle burrito in the Pic Wars thread, and it spurred the idea.

gunt
10-05-2005, 11:28 PM
i agree...i moved to vegas from boston, and the local burrito stands out here are way better than chipotle. i do believe chipotle would probably be the best place to get a burrito on the east coast though.saying chipotle has the best burritos is like saying dominoes has the best pizza...they are both good, but if you live in an italian neighborhood this is blasphemy.

bravos1
10-05-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I missed your thread. I just saw a pic of a Chipotle burrito in the Pic Wars thread, and it spurred the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't it's own thread.. it was just a part of one of the many what did you have for lunch today threads where someone was "braggin" about having Chipotle.

Colonel Kataffy
10-05-2005, 11:41 PM
I am amazed by the number of people on this forum that mistakenly think Chipolte makes a great burrito. It tastes fine, but is nothing special.

shant
10-05-2005, 11:49 PM
No access to a variety of authentic Mexican taquerias is pretty much exactly why people think Chipotle is the best burrito they've ever eaten.

ChipWrecked
10-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Everybody here is aware that Chipotle is owned by McDonald's, right? That should say it all.

IndieMatty
10-06-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody here is aware that Chipotle is owned by McDonald's, right? That should say it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's good in its own right. Not anywhere close to a decent California burrito.

imported_anacardo
10-06-2005, 12:04 AM
[censored] California! If you've never been to Texas, you don't know [censored] from Shine-ola w/rt Mexican food.

IndieMatty
10-06-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] California! If you've never been to Texas, you don't know [censored] from Shine-ola w/rt Mexican food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats hard to believe, but now I have a reason to go to Texas.

imported_anacardo
10-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Lemme put it this way:

The best Mexican restaurant I'm aware of in the greater Los Angeles area is Taste of Texas, out in Azusa.

For that matter, the best barbecue in LA (no contest) is Dr. Hogly-Wogly's Tyler Texas Pit BBQ, in Van Nuys. Ironically far superior to anything actually available IN Tyler; Stanley's would lose a close fight.

MyTurn2Raise
10-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Qdoba is much better

Colonel Kataffy
10-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Ugh, the ignorance...clearly the best mexican food is found in waukegan, illinois.

bravos1
10-06-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, the ignorance...clearly the best mexican food is found in waukegan, illinois.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah.. but other than that, it's California, Texas, then Mexico.

BradleyT
10-06-2005, 12:33 AM
What do you expect from people who come up with 73 replies to a taco bell thread. That place has atrocious food.

IndieMatty
10-06-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you expect from people who come up with 73 replies to a taco bell thread. That place has atrocious food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone needs a Gordita.

shant
10-06-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm from California and I will agree that Texas has the best Mexican food. Even the airport in El Paso had good Mexican food.

brassnuts
10-06-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually love Taco Bell. But, it's definitely not Mexican food, it's Taco Bell.

Mason Hellmuth
10-06-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Qdoba is much better

[/ QUOTE ]
...than dog turds?

IndieMatty
10-06-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually love Taco Bell. But, it's definitely not Mexican food, it's Taco Bell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for "getting it". It also makes excellent fodder to save weak ass threads.

10-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I live in Houston, land of the best Tex-Mex restaurants in the nation.

Chipotle was HORRIBLE. Ate it once, and never been back. It's more like Spanish food, which isn't the same as Mexican. That's fine and all, but Chipotle is gross. They are pretty banal here in Houston as well but I don't see them lasting more than 2-3 more years.

Seriously, it was sick.

Bluffoon
10-06-2005, 02:53 PM
I work in New York and I just ran into Chipotle recently. The food while not spectacular is fresh and tasty and a great alternative to traditional fast food. Even when I am home in Jersey I can find a better burrito but if I am going by one and I am hungry I'll stop in.

I also like the atmosphere.

stabn
10-06-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for "getting it". It also makes excellent fodder to save weak ass threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

It still couldn't save this one /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Shajen
10-06-2005, 03:05 PM
a few things:

1) tex-mex is not mexican food. It's an abomination.

2) the best mexican food in Cali for me has to be one of the *bertos. Alibertos, Albertos, etc.

Carne asada, sour cream and cheese only please.

ChipWrecked
10-06-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) the best mexican food in Cali for me has to be one of the *bertos. Alibertos, Albertos, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have Adelberto's here in Sacto. Rolled tacos, picante bar, and landscapers who scowl at you when you come in for lunch. Awesome.

Drew16
10-06-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best mexican food I have ever had was in Acapulco, Mexico.