PDA

View Full Version : A4s on the button, Judge my play on all streets

10-05-2005, 10:42 PM
UTG is loose passive as is most of the table.

edit to fix hand layout

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Harv72b
10-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Pre-post: remember to change the converter to "2+2 forums". /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Preflop: Standard. If the limpers are both really bad &amp; the blinds are both really tight, you can consider raising here. But on 1/2 you probably aren't gaining enough folding equity to make up for the times you raise with a dominated hand.

Flop: Yeah, I'd give it a shot when it's checked to you. Even on 1/2 I'd expect someone to bet if they had a bigger piece of the flop than you do, including a 4-flush.

Turn: Good bet.

River: I'd check through, too. You're probably not folding a better hand (i.e., a heart) with a bet after he's called all this way, and the way the hand has played out that's really all you have to worry about.

Nice hand.

@bsolute_luck
10-06-2005, 06:42 AM
bet the river. loose/passives call down with all sorts of crap worse than your set. fold to a c/r 'cause no LP is pulling any moves here.

Fantam
10-06-2005, 09:26 AM
I think your preflop call, flop bet and turn bet are all fine.

I think the question is whether you are likely to be called by a worse hand if you bet the river when checked to.

I think that you might just get called by Kx if UTG was very loose, but otherwise I would consider it more likely for a small flush to call.

So I would also have just checked behind on the river.

numeri
10-06-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure I bet this flop. Definitely bet that turn card, though. As far as the river - the way you played it, I think a bet/fold line is good. A loose-passive will call in case you're bluffing with lots of weak crap. If you get raised, you can easily lay it down.

10-06-2005, 09:41 AM
So why are we betting the flop here? Bottom pair is not likely to hold up. If someone had bet to me, I'd have folded this flop as we don't even have the pot odds to call hoping to improve.

Or are we betting to get a free river card when everyone checks to us on the turn?

Also, note that loose passives would likely have checked on the flop with middle pair or even top pair with a weak kicker. If someone has us beat on the flop, we may never know it till it's too late, they'll just call to a showdown and we'll see their K3 beat us.

Fantam
10-06-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So why are we betting the flop here? Bottom pair is not likely to hold up. If someone had bet to me, I'd have folded this flop as we don't even have the pot odds to call hoping to improve.

Or are we betting to get a free river card when everyone checks to us on the turn?

Also, note that loose passives would likely have checked on the flop with middle pair or even top pair with a weak kicker. If someone has us beat on the flop, we may never know it till it's too late, they'll just call to a showdown and we'll see their K3 beat us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your bottom pair might be the best hand when the other players check to you on the flop. You also have 5 outs to improve and might get a free card (as you pointed out).

Betting the flop might win the pot straightaway. Not betting because you might lose seems to be "weak-tight" IMHO.

You dont expect to win a hand every time that you bet, but you hope that your bets will be +EV and help you win the pots enough times to be profitable in the long run.

10-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Nice hand

SlantNGo
10-06-2005, 10:21 AM
We're betting the flop because no one else did, we have great position, and we may very well have the best hand here. Depending on the turn card, we can fire again, or take the free card. This is a VERY standard flop bet, and is eerily similar to one of the SSH hand quizzes.

I'm very "meh" about betting the river. I don't think it matters much either way as long as you fold to a raise. I think the chances of one of them having a low heart and calling are too high for this bet to really be of value.

10-06-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made flop bet to get a free card on the turn. Also, with both blinds in the hand I thought there was a possibility of getting a weak 9 to fold (not sure if my thinking was correct here though).

I was planning on calling for a single bet if three people were still in when it got around to me on the flop given that I had 5 outs, but the more I thought about it after the hand the less I liked that line as 2 of my outs are potentially dirty.

Turn was pretty standard and I checked through the river because I just didn't see anyone calling with a hand that I could beat.