PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Tables at the Party 22s/33s

10-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi all. Been lurking on this forum for a couple months now, and I've picked up a great deal of useful info without the abuse of RGP. Thanks very much.

That said, I'd like to ask your advice on something that's really been bothering me lately: suicide tables. You know the symptoms:

- Straddling every hand, then defending by calling/reraising with garbage
- Overbetting every hand (7x BB or more preflop raises)
- Reraising from the SB every hand

Well it seems like every hand lately. Sometimes it's one player doing it, sometimes it's five. It seems more like raw gambling degenerates playing a slot machine and soothing their egos than any kind of poker.

Here's the question: Is there any effective defense other than playing real tight and betting/trapping with the best hand, or waiting for short stack play?

You can't really play poker in this environment, and mutually assured suicide (re-re-raising with marginal hands) doesn't seem to make sense either. I really enjoy playing poker, much easier to do at tighter tables, but these idiots really turn the game into an annoying grind.

Any advice appreciated. TIA.

Newt_Buggs
10-05-2005, 11:17 PM
you've been lurking here for a couple of months and you still don't understand one of the easiest ways to make money at this game?

To answer your question, wait for a decent hand to hammer the lags with.

MegaBet
10-05-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't really play poker in this environment, and mutually assured suicide (re-re-raising with marginal hands) doesn't seem to make sense either. I really enjoy playing poker, much easier to do at tighter tables, but these idiots really turn the game into an annoying grind.

[/ QUOTE ]

How inconsiderate of them.

unreal_nh
10-05-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How inconsiderate of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol..

pergesu
10-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Sounds like SNGs isn't for you. Might look into playing a real poker game like PLO or O/8

mlagoo
10-06-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like SNGs isn't for you. Might look into playing a real poker game like PLO or O/8

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read that eurorounders post in i think news views and gossip (possible wpt forum)?

this made me think of it. was good for a chuckle =)

mike28
10-06-2005, 12:37 AM
You can straddle in SnGs?

What!

How did i not know this!

Scuba Chuck
10-06-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoy playing poker, much easier to do at tighter tables, but these idiots really turn the game into an annoying grind.

Any advice appreciated. TIA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find a different game.

pergesu
10-06-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read that eurorounders post in i think news views and gossip (possible wpt forum)?

this made me think of it. was good for a chuckle =)

[/ QUOTE ]
You're absolutely right.

OP should look into becoming a professional parcheesi player.

pineapple888
10-06-2005, 01:19 AM
There were some replies attempting to be funny, but this is actually one of the easiest situations to play.

Wait for a premium hand. If you get it, bet for value.

If you never get a premium hand, you lose. Oh well. Fire up another.

10-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Thank you. I understand that of course. My larger concern is by doing that, I'm giving up any chance of winning uncontested pots. You can't make continuation bets or semibluffs after the flop if hands are often overbet preflop. Plus, the gamblers then can afford to take people out with J3 a la Super System.

If I don't pick up anything, this is giving my opponents a significant advantage. That was my real concern - is there any way to counteract this other than waiting for hands? I suppose not.

Related question: This will likely seem very simplistic to the accomplished players here, but I'll give it a try.
Is playing supertight through levels 1-3, then making mostly push/fold moves (as most of the strategy posts suggest) the reason why many players can play 6-8 SNGs at a time? It doesn't seem like each one would require a great deal of attention playing this way.

pineapple888
10-06-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. I understand that of course. My larger concern is by doing that, I'm giving up any chance of winning uncontested pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

[ QUOTE ]

You can't make continuation bets or semibluffs after the flop if hands are often overbet preflop. Plus, the gamblers then can afford to take people out with J3 a la Super System.

[/ QUOTE ]
So?
[ QUOTE ]

If I don't pick up anything, this is giving my opponents a significant advantage. That was my real concern - is there any way to counteract this other than waiting for hands? I suppose not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gamble like all the other donks. Or just wait for a hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Related question: This will likely seem very simplistic to the accomplished players here, but I'll give it a try.
Is playing supertight through levels 1-3, then making mostly push/fold moves (as most of the strategy posts suggest) the reason why many players can play 6-8 SNGs at a time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
[ QUOTE ]

It doesn't seem like each one would require a great deal of attention playing this way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. You can probably grind out 10% ROI at 55s or less by playing "pushbot" poker. To do better, you have to pay close attention to 4, 8, 12, or more tables at a time. The best players do so.

DeadMoneyOC
10-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Lurk harder son!

10-06-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. I understand that of course. My larger concern is by doing that, I'm giving up any chance of winning uncontested pots. You can't make continuation bets or semibluffs after the flop if hands are often overbet preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely find this to be true at the 22s / 33s. Most of the time players are looser preflop and tighter post-flop than they should be. With one or two callers and an innocuous board, I nearly always fire a continuation bet with AK, for instance.

[ QUOTE ]
Is playing supertight through levels 1-3, then making mostly push/fold moves (as most of the strategy posts suggest) the reason why many players can play 6-8 SNGs at a time? It doesn't seem like each one would require a great deal of attention playing this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

8 tables of 1/2 limit don't require that much attention either to be played profitably. Multi-tabling is about using the fast pace of internet poker to reduce variance and increase hourly rate. Typically, adding tables will decrease ROI, but increase hourly rate.