PDA

View Full Version : Expert Aruba play by Shaniac?

J_V
10-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Let me set the scene a little.

Phil Hellmuth - dressed to the nines, in Ub gear and sunglasses - has just finished cutting the rug at a local club in Aruba. Phil is waiting for a cab with a few guests of his in the taxi line.

Our very own Shaniac comes strolling out of the same club, walks right in front of Phil and his group, opens the door of the approaching taxi and motions "This way gentlemen!"

Phil stunned by the unfoldings, mutters something to Shane, who shouts "New York rules, first in the cab, takes the cab."

A baffled Phil keeps walking futher down the street trying to find another cab, talking to himself, "Unbelievable, we were waiting five minutes, the nerve of that guy. He just stole our cab."

Russ McGinley
10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
This is like Mike McD taking down Johnny Chan for one hand, only cooler and more fulfilling.

PassiveCaller
10-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Definitely an expert line.

lonn19
10-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Is this really true?? Freakin' awesome!!

cwsiggy
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
That is great if it happened.

10-05-2005, 08:48 PM
And would be funnier if he'd told them they were a 3 to 1 underdog to get the cab first, because he was standing closer, etc...

HoldEmKillah
10-05-2005, 08:51 PM
So..So..Sooooooo AWESOME!!! What a beat! Nice one, Shane!

ilikeaces
10-06-2005, 12:03 AM
hahahha if this is true this is the best move ever.

mlagoo
10-06-2005, 12:09 AM
hellmuth was 80% to 1 to make into the cab first

nice hit shaniac

Ulysses
10-06-2005, 07:26 AM
As much as I want to like this, I have to say that it sounds like a complete douchebag move. This is based on your statement that there was a "taxi line." If this were a street and Phil were standing in the middle of the block and shaniac walked by him closer to the corner and sniped the cab, awesome. But at a club with a taxi line? Douche. That's not New York rules. That's how shaniac gets his ass kicked in New York.

DarthIgnurnt
10-06-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's not New York rules. That's how shaniac gets his ass kicked in New York.

[/ QUOTE ]

HoldEmKillah
10-06-2005, 09:16 AM
FWIW, I've been to Aruba 3 times and have never seen a "taxi line." It's always been first come first serve. I could be wrong since it was in front of a club...but I don't think so.

Georgia Avenue
10-06-2005, 09:53 AM
F**kin luckbox! Nice catch buddy...

Seriously, if it weren't for luck, I'd be in every single cab. What a cooler.

DonkeyChip
10-06-2005, 09:57 AM
What if it were Raymer...or Harman...or Doyle? It wasn't just Phil, he had some guests with him. I agree, kinda douchey.

zoobird
10-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Great read...aggressive play against a weak-tight opponent.

NCAces
10-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Douchbag move ... if I'd been waiting 5 minutes for a taxi and some numb nut cuts in front of me, I'd have reached in the cab and snatched him out by his collar.

I find it difficult to believe so many people here admire him for this type of behavior. Show some class.

NCAces

TomHimself
10-06-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Douchbag move ... if I'd been waiting 5 minutes for a taxi and some numb nut cuts in front of me, I'd have reached in the cab and snatched him out by his collar.

I find it difficult to believe so many people here admire him for this type of behavior. Show some class.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]it was [censored] hellmuth, i would piss on him if i ever saw him in real life.

good job shane

shaniac
10-06-2005, 08:44 PM
I believe the OP embellished the story a little bit.

First of all, I never did, nor would I ever, say "New York Rules" in any context; certainly not in a situation in which I was intentionally snaking a cab from a man who is probably the best poker player to ever roam the earth; a man whose very presence at the same salsa-themed nightclub amounts to an enormous privelege.

Here's how I remember the events: Phil, in his all black UB-Oakley uniform, left the club and was waiting on the sidewalk with his entourage. There was no "cab line" such as you might find at an airport. I didn't really process his presence on the curb, and probably assumed he was waiting for a hellicopter, or perhaps a Secret Service limo, to transport him safely to his suite at the Radisson.

In any case, when I saw a cab pull about about 20 feet down the street to the left, I didn't realize that Phil and Co. were probably just as interested in procuring its services, and I, somewhat obvlivously, wandered over to the taxi, opened the door, slid over to the passenger's side window, and then called out "this way, gentleman" to my friends.

If Phil, or anyone, had declared (as I, in their shoes, would have) "hey, that's our cab" I would have become aware of my faux-pas and relinquished the vehicle.

It wasn't until my own posse was crammed into the cab that the essence of this tale was revealed to me, and I realized my unintentional snub.

I would like to point out that I am generally considered a polite and considerate individual, not known for doing things like stealing cabs or executing other sniveling angles. I didn't lose TOO much sleep over this one, though.

sirio11
10-06-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't really process his presence on the curb, and probably assumed he was waiting for a hellicopter, or perhaps a Secret Service limo, to transport him safely to his suite at the Radisson.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, good one.

CrazyN8
10-07-2005, 12:16 AM
I dumped a beer on Eli Manning at the FloraBama! Any love for that one? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, and shaniac is not telling the truth. He punched Helmuth in the mouth and said, "My cab, bitch!". I saw it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HiatusOver
10-07-2005, 12:43 AM
OK I was there...what occured is basically a mix between Shaniac and JV's story. Phil Hellmuth was clearly waiting on the side of the road with his posse for the next cab. A cab slowly pulled up, Phil was talking to people and kind of just waiting for the cab to approach. Shaniac being a little drunk and a lot oblivious saw a cab and jumped right to it, opening the door and saying the now classic line "this way, gentleman" to our posse. Phil obviously disturbed looking like he just got showed pocket 7's after laying down QQ turns to his group, "that guy just stole our cab" he exclaimed quizzicly. Simaltaneously JV, Matt, JV's girl and I piled into the cab with Shane and hilarity ensued

Paul Phillips
10-07-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I never did, nor would I ever, say "New York Rules" in any context; certainly not in a situation in which I was intentionally snaking a cab from a man who is probably the best poker player to ever roam the earth; a man whose very presence at the same salsa-themed nightclub amounts to an enormous privelege.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop diluting your towering achievement with this revisionist pussiness. NEW YORK RULES, GENTLEMEN!

Ulysses
10-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Was JV wearing a button down striped shirt? (http://www.thephatphree.com/features.asp?StoryID=239&SectionID=11)

10-07-2005, 01:23 AM
i can't wait for the day i see shaniac waiting for a cab. "this way gentlemen", i of course would only be talking to myself. =[

Equal
10-07-2005, 02:23 AM
On purpose = jerk move, but still kinda funny;

By accident while drunk = hilarious!

bugstud
10-07-2005, 06:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK I was there...what occured is basically a mix between Shaniac and JV's story. Phil Hellmuth was clearly waiting on the side of the road with his posse for the next cab. A cab slowly pulled up, Phil was talking to people and kind of just waiting for the cab to approach. Shaniac being a little drunk and a lot oblivious saw a cab and jumped right to it, opening the door and saying the now classic line "this way, gentleman" to our posse. Phil obviously disturbed looking like he just got showed pocket 7's after laying down QQ turns to his group, "that guy just stole our cab" he exclaimed quizzicly. Simaltaneously JV, Matt, JV's girl and I piled into the cab with Shane and hilarity ensued

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, looks like I should have said hi to shane when sweating lacky during flight 3. Might have had an extra story or two from the trip then.

Toro
10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the OP embellished the story a little bit.

Here's how I remember the events: Phil, in his all black UB-Oakley uniform, left the club and was waiting on the sidewalk with his entourage. There was no "cab line" such as you might find at an airport. I didn't really process his presence on the curb, and probably assumed he was waiting for a hellicopter, or perhaps a Secret Service limo, to transport him safely to his suite at the Radisson.

In any case, when I saw a cab pull about about 20 feet down the street to the left, I didn't realize that Phil and Co. were probably just as interested in procuring its services, and I, somewhat obvlivously, wandered over to the taxi, opened the door, slid over to the passenger's side window, and then called out "this way, gentleman" to my friends.

If Phil, or anyone, had declared (as I, in their shoes, would have) "hey, that's our cab" I would have become aware of my faux-pas and relinquished the vehicle.

It wasn't until my own posse was crammed into the cab that the essence of this tale was revealed to me, and I realized my unintentional snub.

I would like to point out that I am generally considered a polite and considerate individual, not known for doing things like stealing cabs or executing other sniveling angles. I didn't lose TOO much sleep over this one, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just ruined a good story. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DonkeyChip
10-07-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On purpose = jerk move, but still kinda funny;

By accident while drunk = hilarious!

[/ QUOTE ]
Bingo.

J_V
10-07-2005, 01:47 PM
There was no formal line. But people obvioulsy waiting.

You can consider the cab, SNIPED.

J_V
10-07-2005, 02:02 PM
The cab stealing was clearly unintentional. No doubt about that. But something about New York and first one in a cab was definitely said, after the original faupaux. If Shane would've backed off and conceded the cab with a "Oh excuse me, Mr. Hellmuth," his reputations would have been tarnished forever.