PDA

View Full Version : Passing someone who is walking by walking

scott8
10-05-2005, 06:14 PM
How awkward are these situations? Whether it be on campus, at the mall, wherever, it always seems so odd to pass someone who is walking slower than you want to go.

Usually its only really awkward when both parties are by themselves and the other person is walking just slow enough where you want to pass them, but not quite fast enough where you blow by them, but instead have those few moments where you are side by side.

Anyone else ever experience this?

-SC

TheMainEvent
10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Yeah...the main thing I try to avoid is passing them right before a door, so you end up holding the door for someone who was walking in front of you a second ago. That's real awkward.

NLSoldier
10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How awkward are these situations? Whether it be on campus, at the mall, wherever, it always seems so odd to pass someone who is walking slower than you want to go.

Usually its only really awkward when both parties are by themselves and the other person is walking just slow enough where you want to pass them, but not quite fast enough where you blow by them, but instead have those few moments where you are side by side.

-SC

[/ QUOTE ]

god yes. every morning on my way to class. its definately awkward and its always a girl cuz they walk slow and they are alwasy hot cuz well, all the girls at my school are hot, so yeah, good post.

MINETZ
10-05-2005, 06:19 PM
women walk so slow! im always passing people because i have long legs.

B Dids
10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Leave earlier, gives to him to not pass the hot girls, which is usually a bad thing.

When I am good about working out, there's the Burke Gillman trail that leads from my office to the UW's gym. I'm usually walking pretty fast (for a guy my size) and with all the bikes and rollerbalders that are on that path, passing is tricky. You really have to approach it like you're in a car.

Los Feliz Slim
10-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I always end up trying to go faster, and feel like some douchewad speed-walker at a [censored] track meet.

DavidC
How ackward? Ackward.

I'll give an example.

Walking to a coffee shop at night, alone, in a city with not too many lights, and a slow girl was walking ahead of me, on the sidewalk. No matter how fast I walked, she walked faster. The worst part is that if I were to slow down, you guessed it, she'd slow down too!

So, yeah, pretty ackward.

I ended up crossing the street, speeding up, then crossing back, and she continued at normal pace.

But yeah, this is really ackward for me (I walk a lot).

When you pass by groups of people, especially in both situations, generally the conversation stops for both groups and people stiffen up a bit. It sucks. I don't know what the hell's wrong with people (myself included).

--Dave.

NLSoldier
[ QUOTE ]

Leave earlier, gives to him to not pass the hot girls, which is usually a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont understand this sentence but leaving earlier is not an option.

B Dids
10-05-2005, 06:22 PM
"gives him time"

DavidC
10-05-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah...the main thing I try to avoid is passing them right before a door, so you end up holding the door for someone who was walking in front of you a second ago. That's real awkward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that IS ackward! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Fat girls block thin hallways

Tron
10-05-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ackward

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ackward

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ackward

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ackward

[/ QUOTE ]

jopke?

Brain
10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
women walk so slow! im always passing people because i have long legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]
10-05-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-SC

[/ QUOTE ]

god yes. every morning on my way to class. its definately awkward and its always a girl cuz they walk slow and they are alwasy hot cuz well, all the girls at my school are hot, so yeah, good post.

[/ QUOTE ]

There has to be someway to get this work for you. Are you good at flirting and not ugly?

[censored]
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I tend to walk fast as I hate being inbetween places or activities so it happened alot in school and still does once in awhile. I never really felt awkward about it though. You're just walking, who cares what pace you use, and if others do then they are weird and should feel awkward about being so.

brassnuts
10-05-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're just walking, who cares what pace you use, and if others do then they are weird and should feel awkward about being so.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP and agreed.

dblgutshot
10-05-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm lucky that most of my 'walks' have a few stairways on the way. These are where I overtake the slowwalkers without much awkwardness.

dblgutshot
10-05-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that IS ackward! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Its also good to be a good distance BACK of them at a doorway since some will stand ther eand hold the door for YOU, which is also awkward if you aren't that close. You have to quicken your pace so they don't stand there so long.

idiots. I can open my own door.

wonderwes
10-05-2005, 08:11 PM
People sometimes walk to damn slow. I can imagine living in a dense area like Manhattan, there are is always a group of people walking in a line, so you have to weave around them.

I would say I walk a bit faster than average.

peachy
10-05-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-SC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

some of us have shorter legs!!! i walk as fast as i can /images/graemlins/frown.gif

never felt weird or awkard about passing people or having people pass me

MINETZ
10-05-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-SC

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

some of us have shorter legs!!! i walk as fast as i can /images/graemlins/frown.gif

never felt weird or awkard about passing people or having people pass me

[/ QUOTE ]
you make us feel akward because we are the ones passing.

10-05-2005, 09:06 PM
The worst is when there is a group of four or five people walking in a horizontal line ... indoors ... in a hallway.

DeadMoneyOC
10-05-2005, 09:13 PM
I suggest you stop being such a weirdo! Is potential human interaction really so stressful for some people here?

DavidC
10-05-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ackward

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ackward

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ackward

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ackward

[/ QUOTE ]

jopke?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but apparently it's a common spelling error of mine! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

awkward, eh? That's weird.

Cancer Merchant
10-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Only feel akward about passing up this prime cropdusting opportunity.

Goodnews
10-05-2005, 10:33 PM
where does this happen...

Klepton
10-05-2005, 11:14 PM
this is a situation that should be in curb your enthusiasm.

good post.

ChipWrecked
10-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I've walked through enough airports that I don't think twice about passing somebody. Maybe you just need more practice.

LoaferGee12
10-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Me and my friend just had this convo today.

chesspain
10-05-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The worst is when there is a group of four or five people walking in a horizontal line ... indoors ... in a hallway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the closing moments of the opening credits to the TV show Law and Order?

peachy
10-06-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've walked through enough airports that I don't think twice about passing somebody. Maybe you just need more practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah u made me remember the one time i actually tried to pass everyone! (cause i usually dont care) I was midsection of the plane and had never flown international BACK into the US...i had heard it was a pain (taking an hour or more at times). Lil ole me gets off the plane and walked super fast/sprinted to customs...passing just about everyone! go me! Customs took me not even 2 minutes and in the ATLANTA airport!!! I hope its always like this!