PDA

View Full Version : Turkey poll

Ulysses
10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Open-faced turkey sandwich w/ mashed potatoes and gravy.

MINETZ
10-05-2005, 05:35 PM
be sure to put the mashed potatoes and gravy on the sandwich.

SossMan
10-05-2005, 05:35 PM
White = Dry, stringy

Dark = Juicy goodness

Mixed = half dry/stringy

[censored]
10-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Man, this is a good as the awesome candy bar poll!

I initially thought white because that is how it is mostly served but when I make my own after Thanksgiving or whatever, I always choose dark. I think the meat is juicer and more flavorful.

Asufiji2004
10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
If you know how to cook a turkey, white meat blows dark away

[censored]
10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love post thanksgiving sandwhiches. Large sourdough bread, Mayonaise & cranberry spread thin, turkey, mashed
potoes, stuffing, and a touch of gravy. Heated till warm

phage
10-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Dark meat (juicy) turkey, chicken etc...absolutely unappetizing. Go with the drier white meat and use the gravy for extra flavour and moisture.

Ulysses
10-05-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you know how to cook a turkey, white meat blows dark away

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not want to bias the poll, but let me say this. The turkey at this place is cooked very well and each type of meat is just about as good as it can be.

So, in the poll, we are talking about:

"White - white meat that is just about as good as turkey white meat can be."

"Dark - dark meat that is just about as good as turkey dark meat can be."

Ulysses
10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Also, just in case this wasn't obvious, the sandwich will be eaten w/ knife and fork, not like a regular sandwich.

MonkeeMan
10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love post thanksgiving sandwhiches. Large sourdough bread, Mayonaise & cranberry spread thin, turkey, mashed
potoes, stuffing, and a touch of gravy. Heated till warm

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. You MUST include stuffing and cranberry.

CORed
10-05-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
White = Dry, stringy

Dark = Juicy goodness

Mixed = half dry/stringy

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings exactly. I've never understood why most people seem to regard white meat of turkey (and chicken) as the best. Or why the breast is considered the best piece. If you must eat white meat, the wing is usually juicier and more tender than the breast. Of course, there's not much meat on a chcken wing.

Claunchy
10-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I voted dark, but white certainly wouldn't be terrible or anything. I want an open-faced turkey sandwich now.

B Dids
10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
I think mixed is pretty clearly the best answer. Diversity rules and stuff.

phage
10-05-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
White = Dry, stringy

Dark = Juicy goodness

Mixed = half dry/stringy

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings exactly. I've never understood why most people seem to regard white meat of turkey (and chicken) as the best. Or why the breast is considered the best piece. If you must eat white meat, the wing is usually juicier and more tender than the breast. Of course, there's not much meat on a chcken wing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I really hate juicy fowl. I would much rather have a drier piece of white meat...

sfer
10-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Gravy renders this decision trivial.

Los Feliz Slim
10-05-2005, 06:06 PM
I voted mixed because I'm slapping the most accessible meat onto that sandwich and getting my ass back on the couch where it belongs. There's football on the TV, damnit.

Matt Flynn
10-05-2005, 07:08 PM
no brainer to go with the dark meat. minimal cranberry sauce, on top. has to be sourdough bread. if the mash is at all dry, add plenty of mayo. i prefer eating like a trencher using a stiff piece of chewy sourdough, but if alternate bread is used it is a knife-and-fork job.

next on OOT: an open-faced thanksgiving sandwich-eating contest using metal chopsticks.

Go_Blue88
10-05-2005, 07:17 PM
white meat, and it's not even close.

ethan
10-05-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no brainer to go with the dark meat. minimal cranberry sauce, on top. has to be sourdough bread. if the mash is at all dry, add plenty of mayo. i prefer eating like a trencher using a stiff piece of chewy sourdough, but if alternate bread is used it is a knife-and-fork job.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like what I'd do, although I'd generally go a little lighter on the mayo. Dark meat is a very easy choice here for me.

ethan
10-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Out of curiosity - those of you who're saying white meat, would filet mignon be your first pick given your choice of steaks?

10-05-2005, 07:26 PM
The poll is for open-face. But, for those making sandwiches with mayo, which I like, try Durkee's Dressing some time.

peachy
10-05-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
White = Dry, stringy

Dark = Juicy goodness

Mixed = half dry/stringy

[/ QUOTE ]

not if you cook it right...and u can always soak it in things that make it just as juicy and not dry at all..

i cook a 20+ lb turkey every xmas for a huge dinner and the white meat never turns out that way

ethan
10-05-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
White = Dry, stringy

Dark = Juicy goodness

Mixed = half dry/stringy

[/ QUOTE ]

not if you cook it right...and u can always soak it in things that make it just as juicy and not dry at all..

i cook a 20+ lb turkey every xmas for a huge dinner and the white meat never turns out that way

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. You need to cook the dark meat to about 15 degrees warmer than the white meat, but some strategically-placed aluminium foil lets you do this without overcooking the white. Brining the turkey can also help keep it moist, but I'd say the main reason to do it would be that it'll make it taste better.