PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a gambling problem? - Quiz

Python49
10-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I saw this posted in another thread and was pleasantly surprised when I went to the webpage to read over details of someone who is a problem gambler. Alot of people I know always made fun of me for playing so safe within my bankroll, yet right on the page of their page they describe the difference between someone who gambles alot and someone with problematic gambling.

[ QUOTE ]
Generally these people set aside a predetermined amount of money for gambling, gamble for fun rather than for the "certainty" of winning, recognize that they are likely to lose, and don't bet more than they can afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this what good poker players understand? Bankroll management to be able to afford short term losses and withstand variance? When I read this I thought to myself... I certainly know theres no "certainty" of winning and know theres the chance of losing, thus I prepare for it.

Before I became good at poker I would lose my money or break even.. sometimes win a couple hundred, and then quit. I came back after learning that there is a way to play where you can win.

They also have a quiz to take: http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/20questions.html

It says if you answer 7 or more right you're a compulsive gambler.... I answered as honestly as I could and only answered yes to #7 and #14. I wouldn't even answer yes to these if I could get my tilt under control at times which i'm getting ALOT better at. I feel confident after reading this page saying that I do not have a gambling problem.

10-05-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever lose time from work or school due to poker?
Did playing poker affect your reputation?
Were you reluctant to use "poker money" for normal expenditures?
Did you ever play poker longer than you had planned?
Did poker ever cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, it appears I'm getting close.

keetz555
10-05-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm not doing this quiz. I'm on a break after donating 40 BB to Party due to playing like a chip spewing, tilting, obnoxious donk. The last thing I need right now is guilty conscience. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Damn I only got 5/20 right

DWarrior
10-05-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?
4. Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?
5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?
14. Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?
17. Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?

[/ QUOTE ]

So close

Abbaddabba
10-05-2005, 08:38 PM
The proportion of poker players who are both a) winning players and b) manage their bankroll responsibly are few and far between. A lot of winning players are degenerate gamblers at heart who play well beyond their limits.

It wouldnt suprise me if most people even at these forums are problem gamblers to a degree.

I answered yes to three.

It definitely decreases my "efficiency" with school work.
I have borrowed money to play with, but only because i hate spending the $2 to withdraw from the casion ATM's.
I have gambled longer than i originally planned.

and possibly a fourth, in that I occasionally have trouble sleeping after playing. Not serious problems. Just enough that it'll take an hour or two more to get to sleep.

SNOWBALL138
10-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I think the DSM IV quiz is much more reliable than the GA quiz. The reason is that GA tends to take an extreme anti-gambling position and has an interest in making you feel bad about gambling.

DWarrior
10-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Reminds me of D.A.R.E.

dtbog
10-05-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this called a bankroll?

I'm reluctant to use my bankroll for other expenditures, but I don't think that makes me a problem gambler.

DWarrior
10-06-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this called a bankroll?

I'm reluctant to use my bankroll for other expenditures, but I don't think that makes me a problem gambler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Also the one about feeling remorse. I think the question is more towars the guys who go play roulettes then think "hey, that was a really stupid idea betting like that". The way I took it was when at the end of a session you feel bad about misplaying that one hand, especially in NL where such a mistake is usually signifficant.

tonypaladino
10-06-2005, 01:54 AM
I said yes to 9. w00t. GA sucks ass

1. Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?

5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
(This one is tricky. Gambling is my only source of income right now, so I so depend on it to pay my bills to an extent, but I have savings and won't starve if I go on a massive downswing. )

7. After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses?

8. After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more?

10. Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?

12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?
Isn't it proper BR management not to use my roll for normal expenditures?

14. Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?

16. Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?
Considered yes, I was inspired by Klepton /images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling?

elmo
10-06-2005, 07:28 PM
DSM (http://www.gov.ns.ca/health/gambling/IsThereAProblem/DSM_IV/)

DWarrior
10-06-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
7. After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses?

8. After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are tricky, basically "did you have a strong urge to return and win?"

[ QUOTE ]
16. Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]

If starting multiple party poker accounts counts, then I'm guilty /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SNOWBALL138
10-06-2005, 09:44 PM
D.A.R.E. is the best analogy I've heard to describe this situation. Thank you.

DrawDeadJed
10-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I am not sure I have a gambling problem, exactly, but I do have an addiction problem. At any one time, I might find myself addicted to one of several pasttimes, not just poker. That said, I don't spend six hours of hard work at the poker tables, and then see if I can make a huge score by playing craps with my winnings before I go home. Poker is the only game where I will put up money to play. I have never quite understood anyone's addiction to VLT's, for example. You can't get better at it, and there's no skill involved .... what could be more boring than that?

jb9
10-06-2005, 11:34 PM
I think I had a yes to 8 or 9 or 10 of the questions. But I have been drinking so much scotch that I'm not sure I answered the questions accurately or counted properly.

Do I get bonus points or at least an entry in a drawing for bonus points for filling out this survey?

DWarrior
10-07-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what could be more boring than that?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about spending the weekend watching a metal ball roll around?