PDA

View Full Version : interesting PLO tourney hand from PStars last night

sdplayerb
05-21-2003, 01:34 PM
We are at the final table of the $10 PLO tourney. 98 entered, down to 7.
1000-2000 level.
I am in the BB and only have 1,850 left after posting.
I look down and see a "monster" 8h Jd Tc 4c

UTG+1 has 31K (in 3rd place) and raises to 4K
button has 36K (in 2nd place) calls
SB with 9K after posting (in 6th place) calls

what do you do?
Obviously I call. Moving up a spot is like $11 and with 1800 chips i'm not doing much better and figure to have an ok draw and some live cards to hope to get lucky, and if I do I am back in it.

Obviously I won. Hit two pair on the turn (didn't know it at the time but that was enough, although were draws out there) and filled on the river. Ended up taking 2nd.

The SB folded on the flop.

the other two had:
UTG+1 Kd 3d Kh 3s
Button Kc 2h As Js

since i don't know the other players cards, I ran a simulation on the three of us.
I actually had a 33% shot at winning (obviously i didn't know what they had going in).

But i think this illustrates how preflop hands can be so close in PLO. I think that is of a lot of use.
Also, PLO to me is not really a game meant to be played short stacked. Every hand is near a coinflip. Even when dominated you usually have like a 40-45% chance of winning.

DoctorJ
05-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Nice work on the final table - I like the play and your analysis - think you have absolutely no choice but to go all-in there.

Still learning PLO, but I was in that PStars tourney last night too, and went out in like 35th with AAKQds vs 9873ns even flopping an ace (straight on river knocked me out). Even those two hands are 70-30 off twodimes.net.

I'm very interested in strategy comments from those more experienced in PLO - specifically when to push monster draws (when either short-stacked or tall-stacked), and whether in these small tourneys you think being overly aggressive before the flop is a good idea...

Thanks...

DoctorJ

sdplayerb
05-21-2003, 02:43 PM
PLO is obviously an interesting game. I haven't been playing it long, but have done pretty well on pokerstars (way better than NLHE tourneys although that is what i prefer). I think this is because a lot of people don't really know how to play it and think top pair or even low two pair are strong.
Early on I hardly ever raise unless incredibly strong, because winning the blinds does nothing, tough to bluff people out, etc.
Later on when the blinds are worth something and are playing short handed I will try to take the blinds some.

The thing I think makes me decent at PLO is I am willing to get away from a good but not great hand and try to win big with nut hands.

A regular flush draw is of little value as the other person could fill up. plus they aren't going to pay you off if you hit it and don't have you beat.
straight draws worry me at times too since the other person could hit a flush on it. so i want a ton of outs to play a draw. but if i am a small stack or a huge stack vs a small stack I am more apt to play it (so basically you have it right).

would like to hear others theories.

SD

Acesover8s
05-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Great job, SD!

Guess my peptalk helped. . .

As for the hand, all you need to do is peek at your cards, make sure you don't have 3 of a kind and call.

Your analysis of the situation is right on, although I'm surprised your hand does not have more EV with the fact that your cards are slightly coordinated and the second player holding the other's K. Most likely the other player held some of the others cards as well.

The only concern I have is, what hands did you fold in the round prior that might have been better than this? As you well know its better to win the pot uncontested than to call and pray. With those blinds coming up I might have taken a shot with a slightly marginal hand.

Great job though, 1st place next time!

sdplayerb
05-22-2003, 07:10 PM
I never had anything at the final table, not even like AKxx or AQxx. I was looking at your short stacked PLO info you gave me and nothing came close.
I don't believe I made a mistake and did see two people get busted giving me a whopping $20..which was actually fine since i was always way behind.

I did pull a sweet bluff when at about 13 though. raised the pot with jt98 or t987 for around 2000 leaving me with around 600, bb called.
flop came KKx, he checked, i pushed in (what am i going to do with 600 here?).
he folded, i was back in it.